November PCH Kitchen We have alot of blessings to be thankful for. | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

November PCH Kitchen We have alot of blessings to be thankful for.

Last post Nov 29, 2011 7:33 PM by Deery . 57 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 4 (58 items) 1234
  • November PCH Kitchen We have alot of blessings to be thankful for.

WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN

Good morning, so good to see you. We hope you'll find the warmth and the friendship here that we have been privileged to enjoy. We have a common bond. We are physically challenged homemakers.

We share affection for one another through compassion, honesty, and most importantly, respect for one another and one another's situations.

We gather here to share information on ways to make our lives easier, to offer support to each other and to share humor and laughter, sometimes tears and always good food.

There is always room in the kitchen for all who would like to join in...So help yourself to a cup of coffee, cocoa, tea or fruit juice. There are always fresh fruit , muffins, coffee cake and cookies....pull up a chair at the old country table and visit awhile.....and remember to tell a friend.

For our old friends that have not been by for awhile, we hope you will drop in and let us know how you are doing.

False
  • Re: November PCH Kitchen We have alot of blessings to be thankful for.

Hi Girls,

We had a ton of Trick or Treaters last night, went through over 10lbs and then some.  Just relaxing today after cleaning house and doing my wii exercises.  Cold and windy here, brrrrrr with colder weather on the way.  Hope everyone is doing well.  Keeping the Hall Family in my thoughts and prayers.  Hugs, Ann :)

False

Good afternoon Ann and all who will gather in this room, ummm it sounds like you might need to open the kitchen oven door and let some of that warmth into the room lady. It is pretty warm today, not hot but nice enough to not have to wear a jacket, or at least as I left later in the morning. Just took a boxed mix choc cake out of the oven, so guess what it smells like now in my house, hehe, earlier this morning it was the turkey breast that I baked to make turkey and dumplings for tomorrow. Guess I will roll some out and put in the freezer to make it a bit easier, or could get up early early and start. I think that may be the way to go,got up to early this AM after going to bed to late, hehe. We had (1) I mean oneeee tricker or treater, Aidan. *sigh* we did not decorate this year thank goodness but I bought Kerry a scarey mask to use too, only thing he used it on was poor Clea and I had to put it away as she was scared of it and would not come around Kerry, only run, hehe. And with Aidan it would have made him have nightmares, so that was out too. So we sat here and watched some series on Netflix, ate Golden delicious apples then Kerry went to bed as he had to get up for work. Me and the internet then, and tv for company, I watched the Real Housewives of Beveryly Hills, thrilling huh ladies? Liz so glad Duane is able to get out and enjoy his cards again. How are your eyes doing Liz, are they going to do the other eye as well, or is it already done? Nancy I can only imagine you being glad to seeing that sweet Woof Woof dog going home then, what beautiful dogs they are and sweet natured, at least the ones I have been around. Ann how is your MIL doing? Hope all is well there. Is Jim pretty much home all the time now, or at least in state? Ann said Buck has gotten two deer this year and their oldest grandson got a 6pt buck on Sat. Time to head back to the kitchen, see ya later ladies, have a good evening. Hugs

False

Ann, thanks for opening the November Kitchen. Wow! What a lot of trick of treaters. I was also wondering how your mil is doing. Are things going better?

We had a lot of T or T when we lived in CA. Enjoyed but getting up and down was sometimes tiring. No trick or treaters in this area. DD and DGD came over to show me DGD costume. DGD goes trick or treating with her friends at housing development in town. Probably last time for them unless they take the girls smaller siblings trick or treating. The girls did go by themselves this year because a parent was taking the younger ones out this year. They were happy about that.

Connie, lol at Kerry scaring poor Clea. Guess cats do notice looks.

Nancy, guess you will probably miss the bigger dog but not the extra dog hair to clean up. Is your house cleaner still cleaning.

Sunshine here for another day or two then 4 or more days of rain expected. I went and got my paper this morning because DGD had early appointment to be fitted for contact lense. She has worn glasses since starting school or before but for contacts she will just need one in one eye. Other eye sees fine. Anyway when I came back with paper I turn around on deck a few times to clean my wheels. Condensation started dripping on me and barn kitty noticed I was out so came over for a treat. Newspaper started getting wet so I got inside as fast as I could. lol

Wishing all a good week and a nice month.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Hi Girls,

Connie, Your turkey and dumplings sound soooooooooooooo good.  Jim is not a dumpling liker.Sad  So I don't make them often.  LOL poor little Clea, I bet she was scared.  It has been cold here brrrrrrrr, I will swap with you if you want, don't want it hot but warmer would be good. 

Deery, What was your DGD for Halloween?  We still get high school kids here, that's o.k. they are always polite.  How neat for your DGD to get contacts, that is kind of nice she only needs one, maybe they can make them both (they usually come in a set right) the same strength so she will always have a back up one.  Glad you got to visit with your barn kitty.  :)

Our kitten Boo Boo is a constant source of entertainment.  You should see him when Jim gives him a half of a mini marshmallow, so funny shaking that paw trying to get it off. 

My MIL is sadly the same.  She is always complaining because Jim doesn't come over often enough etc.  What it comes down to is no matter what we do it won't ever be enough for her.  We make it a point to go over every week without fail to visit, get wood on the porch or do yard work, etc but apparently it's not enough.  It's sad really Jim has alot of resentment toward her and understandably so because she has gotten better as in going places around other people but still won't come over here.  She lives 2 miles from us mind you and she hasn't been here since August and even then it was for 5 minutes.  She seems to be that way towards us only.  He has tried to talked to her and even told her it goes in one ear and out the other.  Doesn't matter either way, she told us a few weeks back that Jim's brother is coming home for Thanksgiving and Jim needed to go through the house and pick out what he wanted of his dad's stuff that he made or else Clint will get it all.   She is also giving her livingroom furniture that she is currently using to Clint as well.  Jim was irritated about that  and told her so, she said over the years I have helped you, etc.  Pulling stuff out of her A** that she did for him all the way back in high school.  I told him how sad she feels like she has to pull stuff out of her but just to make herself feel better.  They have done a few things for us over the past 20 yrs and we have always been thankful etc.  But we have also done countless amount of things for her and his dad but never kept a running tally.  We did things for them because we wanted to, not so we could have something to hold over them.  Just plain pathetic and sad is what it is.   So things will be a hold your breath and wait and see on Thanksgiving. 

Anyways, well aren't you glad you asked, Stick out tongue  Well going to go relax and surf a little bit.  Hope you all are doing well. Hugs, Ann

False

Hi Ann, sorry things are no better with MIL. How old is she? If she gives furniture away to other son is he going to want to haul it all the way to his home? Does she plan to get new furniture?

I think DGD costume was Mother Earth or Mother Nature or something? DD found a cream colored dress at Goodwill that had yellow band around waist and 4 inch panel of yellow down front from waist. She attached thin ribbons to hang down from waist. Ironed on some butterflys to skirt and ironed on emboirdered flowers to V neck. And made flower band for across DGD head. And she wore a purple cape. Very pretty.

Sunshine right now. Clouds may come in later. Probably rain tomorrow. Soccer may be over for season unless they have a chance to play in first round of playoffs.

Waving to All. Hope your day is going well.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Good day ladies,

Ann thank you for our November kitchen door opening. Always nice to see the start of a brand new month. Hopeing that it will be a safe, healthy and fun filled one for each of you......sorry that things are not any better with MIL but then there are just folks that I think take delight in being a bit onery. My MIL was one also so know what you are dealing with somewhat. (((Ann &Jim)))

Deery, DGD's Holloween outfit sounds really cute. Her mom must be great when it comes to design to have come up with it. One of a kind is always better than the purchased ones that there are so many alike.

Connie do hope that you are not over doing with all of that cooking, but so sweet of you to always be there for others. Sure that your church and friends really appreciate it....bet Clea was really cute when she saw her daddy in that mask. LOL

Deery that is great that DGD only has to have one contact. Bill's DD as well as her mother only wears the one. Must be nice. Would love it if I was able to wear even the two. LOL...yes, I do still have the lady that comes every two weeks for cleaning. She is really a great help since there are so many chores that I can no longer handle.... now if I could just have a cook then maybe I could lose some of this weight. LOL Just took a homemade Dutch Apple pie out of the oven so you know there will be no weight lost for me today. *giggle*

Liz, we finely used the free steak at OutBack last week. Nearly did not make it since it was the last day the card was good. Really do appreciate you letting us know on the board about that freebie. :>) Has Duane has been fishing lately? So good to have those nice fresh fish. Would love a nice trout about now. We use to catch some of the nicest ones in our river but since we moved from there Bill has just sorta gave up fishing.

Waving to all that comes in and I missed. Hopefully some of our kitchen family will make it back soon.

Wishing all a safe , healthy and happy week.

Hugs to all,

Nancy

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Hi Nancy, glad you could stop by. Glad your cleaning lady is working out.

DD is used to putting costumes together from helping make DGD dance costumes from clothes found at Goodwill and old costumes dance teacher had. DGD didn't go back to dance since August. Likes not having to go 2 or 3 times a week. Hope she will get back into dance. Maybe next year she will start dancing at another dance studio. Might work out since DGS is now driving. Or she can teach younger kids to dance at closer dance studio.

I love the Krusteaz One Step Muffins. I have had the cinamon and the chocolate chip flavors so far. Makes 6 fresh baked muffins and nothing to wash. Measure 1/2 cup of water and let it drain. And I use the paper liners.

Circle Hugs for All, Deery

False

Hi ladies, been a long long day and this gal is tired, but hubby is more so I think. Had to meet him after work on the other side of town, I found a good deal on a pair of front loading washer and dryer yesterday on swap shop, people we moving to 3 bedroom congo from 4 bedroom house, so down sizing. They could not take this new set they had just bought the 30th of July, so just a couple days more than 3 months old, they paid right at 1900. and we got them for 800. had been looking at them for some time, but kept looking at the prices as well LOL. So we picked them up this evening after Kerrys work and came home and a co worker of his came over for a couple hours to help Kerry moved the old ones and bring in the new and get them all hooked up. My early birthday and Christmas I would say, hehe. Deery how old is your DGD and DGS now, does not seem she should be old enough for the girls to go out by themselves trick or treating, how time has flown! Her costume sounds so pretty. Glad your outside kitty keeps you company, I just love cats, well dogs too, hehe, Molly still jumps up and the air and twirls a circle at the same time. The other day Kerry and I went outside and Molly starts running big ol circles around me fast and coming back again, she was running so fast toward the house and went to swerve to make the corner and almost ran into the brick wall of the house, close call, crazy dog. Kerry and I both thought she was gonna break her darned fool neck, but ohhh how she loves to run around Momma here, hehe. Ann I can just imagine your Boo Boo and the antics with the marshmallow, what company it must be. Have you tried a laser light yet going up a wall? LOL. Sorry to hear your MIL is the same Ann, how said for everyone, seems she is still unhappy and wants everyone around her to be the same and to cause friction and hard feelings between the boys. And to hold things over your head *shaking my head* Ann I have to say, when my Mother gave Kerry 30 days notice to move out one time from a old house that the boys and I had been living in while Kerry was in Korea? Well of course we all moved out and she could not understand why she told her brother, my Uncle Roy, he said, Reba do you think she would stay here without her husband? So we had it tough, moved into a trailer that the guys had to weld a frame to put under it and the former owner moved that trailer with his tractor. My Mom had my sister drive her over to our trailer about 6 months later and she told me she had a hot water heater over at here place that we could have, I was heating water on a propane pump up stove or heating water in a galvanized tub behind the trailer. I asked her what she wanted for it, and you know the song Respect*? She spelled it out for me, I said nothing knowing what she put up through and needless to say I let her keep her hot water heater. She was just a bitter person and always kept something going. Sorry ladies I know I should not speak ill of my Mom but some Mothers are just not meant to be so, and I am being honest. Some you can just never do enough for them to make them happy. I have to laugh now at some of the antics we did while having it so tough, like I said heating water in the galvanized tub out back and pouring water into a bathtub we had outdoor before the inside plumbing was done, yes that meant trips to the old outhouse too, burrrr those snowy Mo winters to the john, backside got mighty cold. LOL.  But we were clean and happy. I had bought a calf while Kerry was gone overseas, raised it and took it off my Moms property and sent it to the sale barn and she thought I was doing it to spite her. I said nope, it is my heifer and we had a well and I would drop that well bucket faster than anyone and pull up water, but I sold the heifer to have money to have  a pump put on that well. Like she expected me to keep that heifer to keep me tied to her and this gal was getting tired of pulling that well bucket up LOL. Do you gals know what I mean of the well bucket? Long metal tube that fills with water and a lever to pull at the top of it to let your water out and into a bucket? Would you believe we still have that thing too, hehe. How did I get onto that subject? Ummmm unhappy Momma's I think. I hope things get better Ann but just seems she does not want it to be. This gal is heading to bed, tired and woke way before Kerry and his alarm, so my head is wanting to start bobbing, night ladies, Hugs, stay warm. Ann by the way, send some cold our way, I am sure Nancy would like some as well, out temps were warm today, a couple sets of French doors thrown open, now time to close and lock, Hugs, Connie

False

Hi Connie, what a great buy on the washer and dryer. You did good to find it. Hope you got some good rest during the night. Sounds like you had a hard early married life. Your 'pioneer woman' name fits you more and more.

I forgot to tell you Gals that DGD has been taking sewing lessons after school. Once a week for 6 weeks I think. She makes an item every session. First was an apron and second was a pillow case. I don't know the rest. DD told her to ask her father for a sewing machine for Christmas. DD has an old cheap one. DGD is 13 and DGS is 17.

Well the days are the same here. Glad I have this Kitchen Group and fb. Keeps me connected with others.

Love, Deery

False

Hi ladies, looks to be just us today Deery, you made me grin about the Pioneer woman, yes you ladies just did not realize just how much a pioneer I have been, hehe. Today I have used that washer and dryer and washed the bathroom tiles, put down fresh washed and dried rugs. Pulled off the bed covers and mattress cover, Kerry told me that he would help me turn the mattress and flip it when he got home, I said ok, then decided I could not leave the bed all unmade during the day. I turned that darned mattress then flipped it myself and got everything fresh back on, way early. I was chilly here today Deery and pretty windy so I had the bedroom door thrown open all day long, fresh chilly air blowing in. Clea curled up on the clean made bed and curled up and tucked her head, she looked chilly. Kerry and I ate supper and then grabbed up a couple of fresh apples, the Golden Delicious, Kerry has to cut his small as he has dentures and I am sitting there, watching tv and I hear him start to cough and then harder and grabbing his neck, he is choking,the small apple piece had lodged down in his throat and was over his wind pipe, he heads for the kitchen sink and I am panicking. I am saying Kerry Kerry, Kerryyyy, I grab the phone and dial 911 and then he finally motions to me he is ok. The dispatcher got the sheriffs office and they were going to send a ambulance out to check him out and Kerry motioned me he was ok. I was terrified and in tears. How can a person stay on the line and at the same time try to help a person. I would have done the hemlic on him but I wanted to make sure I had help on the way first..... I threw his apple slices away. He said his throat still hurt as he was going to bed.  Deery what grade is DGD in? Do they have home Ec?  I took it when I was in school and we did some sewing too, but I wonder if they still have it and what they teach now? I bet she loves sewing then doesn't she, especially with her costumes and such for dancing? Is she no longer doing her ballet? You gave me a idea with your daughter making pillow case, I need to make me some, you can find some pretty material to make them couldn't you. I ruined one set of mine, some how splashed some bleach on a set, well they sure no longer look pretty, crazy me. I am going to head to bed, tired from today and then stressing this evening, took it's toll. Night Deery and anyone else who pops in. Sweet dreams, Hugs, Connie

False

Connie, glad Kerry is okay. You never know when something like that can happen. DH food would sometimes get stuck. But he could still breath until it worked up or down. DGD is in 8th grade. She is taking the sewing lessons from a lady in town. I don't even know what kind of shop she has. DGD likes to practice at home.

Well I am finally registering my code numbers from Lean Cuisine meals. You can only add 10 code numbers a day. 18 more to add. One was invalid. They are hard to read. The numbers and letters are formed from dots. Maybe as I get familiar with them I can tell what the mistake was on the invalid one.

Wishing All a restful night of sleep.

Hugs, Deery

False

Morning again, up and not about though, think today will be making up the bed and laying down later with heat on the ol back, Kerry said to take it easy, but will ya listen? LOL. He is off to work as usual. Deery the Lean Cuisine meal codes what can you use them for? Kerry does the My Coke Rewards and then gets me free magazines or something like that, use to he used to be able to get free points for Holiday Inn or like that, but he has not seen those in a while. Now those we like, we used some on the trip when we met the kids 1/2 way one year between us and Alabama, in Covington, La we had a good time then. Wondered if it is something like that or where you can get free Lean Cuisine meals?And I whole heartedly agree, those codes are so hard to read in some of the coke caps. Even hard for the darned magnifier, one number or letter looks like another, hehe. I sent Dee a email this AM and updated her on the people in here, I think she finally gave up on trying to get back into the PCH room the recipe board was giving everyone such a hard time, and then making everyone log in so much, some even forgetting passwords and such. Boy all these passwords a person has to keep up with on the computer can sometimes be mind boggling can't it, I have a book I log them in, otherwise I know I would forget the one for this site. Kerry kicked on the heat this morning, he was chilly when he got up and ready for work then turned it off after the house got a bit warmer, hehe. Hope everyone a good day, c you later, have a good one, hugs, Connie

False

Good day ladies

No shorts for this gal today..LOL we had a hard freeze last night and will only reach the 60's today. Did bring in all the house plants that was outside to save them and was expecting the hanging baskets to be a thing of the past but Bill watered them all real well and you can not tell they had a cold night at all. Its not suspose to be that cold tonight but still cold to us here . :>)

Connie how scary that just had to be for Kerry to get choked like that. So happy that he is ok now. How is that back doing? Now gal a mattress is just to heavy for one person, let alone a woman, even if she is a Pioneer woman. *grin* Do hope the heat and some rest helped.......congratulations on that great buy on your new washer and dryer. Know that you will be getting many years of enjoyment from them.......thanks for catching Dee up with the goings on with the kitchen family. Sure do miss her in the kitchen....I have my putter set up to where I need to log on to most sites and really do not mind that but this darn computer puts itself to sleep if its left alone for just a few minutes and it gets really tiresome to have to log onto it......have not been able to find out where to change that. Never had to log back onto my old XP unless it had a update or was turned off.

Deery that is great that DGD enjoys sewing. Remember when I was in Jr. High we had 1/2 of our school year with sewing classes and the other 1/2 was cooking. Don't think it is even offered in the schools here anymore.. such a shame since that is what gave me such a love of sewing. Come to think of it I still have the apron and a skirt I made in school. Found them in a old chest of mom's when we was moving her here with us......

Terry just came in from work so need to get off the old tush and check on the pork steaks and hopefully they will be thawed out enough to start dinner.

Waving to all I missed today and sending cyber hugs to all.

Nancy

False

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and take without forgetting.

Gosh Connie, you must have been just as scared as Kerry proberably was when he got that apple stuck in his throat. I've not been able to breath myself several times and it is hard not to panic. I just have to keep thinking.....calm down and breath through your nose, not your mouth. Glad they didn't have to haul him off to the e.r.

Had my second cateract removed Wed. so now things are even Steven. Both eyes are nice and bright. On Tues. night Duane asked me, now what are the restrictions again that you'll have....can't life more than 15 lbs. (actually it's 20 but didn't tell him that), you can't bend over for very long...anything else? I said yes, I can't cook dinner. He had a good laugh over that but cooked it anyway. The worst part is those darn drops....three of them...for a month. Grrrrr. Had a strange thing happen about the drops. I did have some left overs from the first surgery but knew it would never last another month so got a free sample for one from the eye dr. and refilled the prescriptions for the other two. One of them cost me $72 last month and that was with my prescription drug plan. This time the same one cost me $42. Duane said, don't complain.....they may jack it up if you do which is exactly what I thought, too, so mums the word.

My 50th class reunion was last weekend in Cape May, N.J. but I didn't go. Too expensive for just a few days. They had snow on the east coast but the beach got lots of rain, not snow. The Philadelphia airport had some issues I saw on the news so hope no one got delayed coming or going.

Dug out a cake mix myself today and did a pumpkin cupcake recipe that I think Kraft had emailed. Wound up not having a spice cake like it requested but did have a carrot cake mix so figured that was close enough. Uses canned pumpkin and sour cream and has a cream cheese frosting. I had a can of white frosting in the pantry that was expiring so used that with half a pkg. of the cream cheese instead of making the home made. It called for cinnamon in it.

I did get the laundry room and main bath vinyl scrubbed before the surgery but kept putting off the kitchen and master bath so those are still not done. Will have to wait now for the week's restrictions to run out and then down on the knees I'll go again. Can't wait.  Wink

We don't get trick or treaters here in the complex. Didn't get them at the house, either, the last five or six years we were there. Missed that. Our area was too rural. Not worth while driving all around when you can go into town and hit one house after another or go to the mall.

Tomorrow evening we are going to a Boeing concert about a mile or two from us. It's held at a church. I didn't know Boeing had a choir until I saw a banner along the street last week advertising it. They take a free will donation. I think they also have an orchestra but not at this concert.

Getting cold at night sometimes. One night this week I wrapped a blooming rose bush with a sheet as it was supposed to go down to 32 degrees and I didn't want to loose the flowers. The last hurrah of summer. Still have one hanging basket left but hate to toss it as there are still fuchsias blooming.

Your DGD sounds like she had a mighty pretty costume Deery. Hope they had a great time trick or treating. On the news I saw a little girl, maybe about three, dressed as a peacock. Soooo cute. I wanted to go over to the mall that night and watch the kids go from store to store but had an upset stomach so stayed home.

Ann, you shouldn't beat yourself up over Jim's mother. She must be the type of person who is happiest making someone else miserable. Consider the source and do what you've always done...you'll have a clear conscience.

Wheel will be on in a few minutes so off I go. Have a good weekend.

False