need ideas for an easy appetizer (I have some cute turkey appy picks to serve them on) | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

need ideas for an easy appetizer (I have some cute turkey appy picks to serve them on)

Last post Nov 18, 2011 9:02 PM by akctnmm . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • need ideas for an easy appetizer (I have some cute turkey appy picks to serve them on)

I will be very busy next week, as a family member is having surgery.  I have some cut turkey appetizer picks (like toothpicks) I would like to use.  Any easy ideas or recipes for how I can use them would be appreciated.  Thanks

False
  • Re: need ideas for an easy appetizer (I have some cute turkey appy picks to serve them on)

I meant to write cute not cut........

False
  • Re: need ideas for an easy appetizer (I have some cute turkey appy picks to serve them on)
    Ham roll-ups appetizer

These are great and go fast.

Take a slice of bologna or ham slice.

Cut lengthwise in 1/3 pieces.
    Then cut crosswise in half.

Soften some cream cheese and spread on the ham or bologna slice..

Slice a dill pickle in long pieces and then cut again width wise to fit the ham slice.

Lay the dill pickle slice ontop of the cream cheese and roll up and fasten with a fancy or colored toothpick...

Never have any leftovers and are usually the first to dissapear..
    False

I also use cubed pieces of swiss cheese or cheese of your choice

Cut cheese in small cubes, and wrap a thin slice of ham around the cheese.

Hold together with a toothpick.............................................................

or a cube of cheese, ham, grape or other favorite fruit.........................

Fruit and Cheese Kabobs

like using about 6" skewers for a combination of fruit and cheese and sometimes a ham cube.

Pick out fruit that will contrast - put on a green grape, a whole strawberry, a triangle of fresh pineapple, a cube of cheese,
    may be a cube of ham, and I top it with a marachino cherry at the top end of the skewer.

You can use a knife to make more of a hole in the stem end of the cherry and put the stem of a spring of mint in it.

Lay all the skewers on a white plate with the points all pointing to the center of the plate.

It's really pretty and easy for the guests to eat.
    False

Tomato Stacks:
    Slice fresh mozzarella and tomatoes. Layer the mozzarella and whole basil leaves between two slices of tomato. Season with salt and pepper and secure with a toothpick.

Salad-on-a-Stick:
    Skewer cucumber squares, black olives, cut green peppers, cherry tomatoes and cubes of feta cheese. Drizzle with vinaigrette.

Ham-and-Pineapple Bites with Brown-Sugar-Mustard Dip:
    Skewer 1-inch pieces of pineapple and 1-inch cubes of deli ham. Mix together mustard, orange juice, brown sugar and a pinch of ground cloves; serve the dip with the skewers.

Cocktail Skewers:
    Thaw frozen, cooked shrimp. Skewer the shrimp and red bell pepper squares and keep chilled. Mix together sour cream, dill and lemon juice; serve the dip with the skewers.

False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero

Fruit 'n' Cheese Kabobs

Fruit 'n' Cheese Kabobs Recipe
    Photo by: Taste of Home
    Rating 4.5 
    Ingredients
    • 1 block (1 pound) Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
    • 1 block (1 pound) cheddar cheese
    • 1 block (1 pound) baby Swiss cheese
    • 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
    • 1 to 2 pounds seedless green orred grapes
    • 3 pints strawberries

Directions

• Cut cheese into chunks or slices. If desired, cut into shapes with small cutters.
    •  Alternately thread cheese and fruit onto wooden skewers. Serve immediately. Yield: about 3 dozen.
    False

They sound adorable. I'd love to know where you found them Big Smile

Pepperoni and cheese picks are always nice and so is grape tomatoes with cheese.

Even shrimp on a pick is nice and the same with olives.

Janie 

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

This was posted two years ago by "Linda", which one I don't know. She mentioned it came for the TOH Appetizer magazine. I have made it several times and it is very popular. Easy, too.

Marinated Mozzarella

1/3 c. olive oil

1 Tables. chopped oil packed sun dried tomatoes

1 Tables. minced fresh parsley  (I use dried and a little less)

1 teas. crushed red pepper flakes

1 teas. dried basil

1 teas. minced chives

1/4 teas. garlic powder

1 lb. cubed part skim mozzarella cheese

In a large reseabable plastic bag, combine the first seven ingredients; add cheese cubes.  Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  Transfer to a serving dish; serve with toothpicks.

False

I had no idea I would get so many suggestions.  They all sound wonderful.  I will have to read throught them again to decide.  As for the 'picks'.......a friend bought a box of them last year and gave me what she had left.  I put them in a zip lock bag and saved them for this year.  Thanks again, everyone.

False