? What do Chestnuts taste like? thanks! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

? What do Chestnuts taste like? thanks!

Last post Dec 07, 2011 10:37 PM by zakons . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • ? What do Chestnuts taste like? thanks!

Think I may have had them as a young child, but don't remember what they were like.  I have faint memory of Dad roasting some for the holidays one year.

Thanks for helping.      Cali

False
  • Re: ? What do Chestnuts taste like? thanks!

Cali,I think they have their own taste and it is hard to describe. Most of the time they are used in desserts,mostly in Europe. We have the cooked and pureed Chestnuts for Christmas with whipped cream. Did you see all the recipe I added to Janie's post for the Chestnut soup.?

Renate

False

To describe what a chestnut is like? Would be similar to a question asking what a peanut taste like? Or any other nut that God created. One would have to just try the chestnut, to truly describe the taste. They have a unique taste of their own, just like any other nut.

In my area you roast the chestnuts. This is what I learned from an elderly family member many many years ago.

You make an slit with a knife making an   x  on the shell of the chestnut. Then you take an place them in a sauce pan with some water. Add a little bit of butter to the pan too. Then boil the nuts until they split. Once they split they are ready to eat. Remove the chestnuts from the pan of water. Let the chestnuts cool just enough to handle, but warm enough to still eat hot.  Remove the hull of the shell of the chestnut and eat the inside (meat) of chestnut.

I know when chestnuts were abundant the family member would freeze the chestnuts to roast later. They would just simply pack the chestnuts in a plastic quart or pint freezer container. Then freeze the chestnuts. They would remove the chestnuts when they were ready to  roast some up to enjoy.

False

Hi Cali,  Foodguy described the taste as much like a Potato.

I do know they are a very meaty nut. Like a Brazil Nut. Round in shape and slightly mushy on the inside. 

Janie.  This may help. They look like acorns. 

http://www.google.com/search?q=chestnuts&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GZAB_enUS435US436&site=webhp&prmd=imvnse&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=UkrfTqbZOIbAtge2lpSHBg&sqi=2&ved=0CHkQsAQ&biw=1124&bih=430

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

I use to eat chestnuts every Christmas when I was a child. Like Janie said they are a very meaty nut, and to me sort of on the dry side, but very delicious. You brought back a lot of childhood memories for me, and I thank you for the post. Gail

False

I tasted one once...At the annual start of Christmas celebration at a town nearby....

They had Christmas Carols, Santa, free horse and enclosed carriage rides down main street. Tree lighting, all the stores in town have free punch, cookies etc...On the street corners, they have chestnuts roasted over a "weber grill".

So we got to sample the "chestnuts roasted over a open fire "....I agree, tasted like a mashed potato....

False