Portillo's Chopped Salad "alike" | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Portillo's Chopped Salad "alike"

Last post Mar 14, 2013 8:39 PM by latinrose . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Portillo's Chopped Salad "alike"

If you've had Portillo's Chopped Salad, you know how absolutely addictive it is.  We love it.  I've made this a number of times, and have served it to the Bunco girls, who clean the bowl every time. Part of the appeal of the salad is the house dressing.  Portillo's is prominent in the Chicagoland area, but not sure which other states it's branched out to.

For the dressing, if I don't make it from scratch, I use the Grandessa brand dressing that Aldi's sells.  It's the closest in taste to the house dressing, being a tad sweet.  I emulsify it in the blender by pouring it through the top as the blender is running.   They have a couple of varieties of Vinaigrette, and I like the Three Cheese Vinaigrette.

Portillo's (Clone) Chopped Salad

• 1 head iceberg lettuce
    • 1 – 2 heads Romaine lettuce, depending on size
    • 1 small head red cabbage, minced or 1 bag sliced red cabbage, chopped
    • 1 small red onion, finely minced
    • 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
    • 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
    • 2  c. ditalini pasta, cooked and cooled
    • 1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
    • 1 c. gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
    • 2 c. cooked/chopped chicken breast
    • Vinaigrette dressing, bottled or homemade

Wash and dry the lettuces. Finely chop into small pieces. Put into a large bowl. add remaining ingredients, except dressing and combine well.
    Serve dressing along side, or pour on and combine just before serving.

Sweet Italian House Dressing

(Chicago Sun-Times)

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil

Place vinegar, garlic, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor.

While the machine is running, slowly drizzle olive oil through the blender top or feed tube until dressing is combined and emulsified.

Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to two week

False
  • Re: Portillo's Chopped Salad "alike"

Wow Arlene !   This  sounds fabulous ! Absolutly fabulous !  What a great photo . Makes one want to jump right in .

New to me and a Must try !  Thanks  a Bunch.   Janie

Printed.  

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

PORTILLO'S !!  I thought I was the only one in the world, other than Chicagoans, that knew about Portillo's !!  I have some Italian beef/bread/peppers in my freezer right now that was shipped from there as a Christmas gift from our son......heaven on a bun !  Never had the salad as each and every time we always went for the beef sandwiches.  I'll give the salad a try, and thanks for the head's up, Arlene.

4 generations of PORTILLO'S lovers in this family !

False

Marilyn

Thanks Arlene-

A MUST make for me- starting with the house dressing!

~Alliea

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Sounds really great Arlene. I was thinking the same thing as Alliea about trying the salad dressing first, but really would like to try the salad soon too.

Thank-you!

False

This is one I am going to try. Sounds delicious.
    False

How did i miss this the first time around? My scrap stash continues to grow, i keep finding yummy sounding recipes to try.Big Smile Copied. Thank you Arlabs.

False

Arlene this sounds SO good, I love chopped salad.  I have this great pair of salad shears that I bought from Pampered Chef just for that purpose.  They work great.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

We love salads and this sounds great! Thanks for sharing...Linda

False

How did I miss this one! We try to go to Portillo's whenever we are in the Chicago area for the beef sandwiches. Never tried the chopped salad and with this recipe I will make it at home. Thanks for posting this one. latinrose

False
    There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes their way alone, All that we bring into the lives of others, Comes back into our own. "Guiding Light" latinrose