(Edited for Review)Frog Balls Thanks droopydawgKY | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

(Edited for Review)Frog Balls Thanks droopydawgKY

Last post Aug 19, 2012 8:59 AM by cllw . 10 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
  • (Edited for Review)Frog Balls Thanks droopydawgKY
    Below is my request for the recipe and responses I received. Marily posted the recipe and Susie to the link. See Marilyn's recipe below from finding it on facebook. Ladies from this site have always been so helpful to me in finding exactly what I seem to need and this recipe was no exception!

I made a test batch of each suggestion and this one was the winner in taste test. Just enough heat, just enough dill and they were so easy to make! It was the perfect recipe for us as the family and friends loved them.

Thank you ladies for the help in discovering the recipe~I will be making more today!
    Linda
    *************************************************************************************

Seriously, I have some canned frog balls and I WANT THE RECIPE! I don't see any in the search, but maybe they aren't coming up?
    Do you have one that you will share?  I don't want the hot HOT, Frog Balls, just mild heat but I guess that could be adjusted with the peppers.
    I bought some, put them in an antipasta salad and they were AWESOME! I let the ones I had drain well and only added two to the huge salad and it was perfect with salami, olives, dressing, etc....The kids ate them like candy on a veggie platter.

I have already told the hungry hubby that he WILL grow more brussel sprouts for these amazing little gems~but that means I have to do something with them and I want to make frog balls!

Would anyone have a recipe to share?
    Thank you so much in advance~will check in after work!
    Linda
    False
  • Re: If you have canned Frog Balls, do you have a recipe to share?

Hope this helps :)

http://strayneedle.blogspot.com/2010/08/brussel-sprouts-yep-i-pickled-them.html

False

http://mixingbowl.betterrecipes.com/atomic-frog-balls.html   

http://coppercorn.xanga.com/742950857/frog-balls/

False

I just copied this off Facebook. Hope it's what you're looking for.

Frog Balls

2lbs Brussels Sprouts
     21/2 cups water
     4 heads dill
     21/2 cups vinegar
     1t cayenne pepper
     4 garlic cloves (opt)
     3T pickling salt
     4 heads dill (opt)
     2 jalapeno peppers or 1 habanero pepper

Cook whole Brussels sprouts until just tender. Pack in hot sterilized
     pint jars. Combine water, vinegar, salt, dill, cayenne pepper, hot
     peppers (left whole but cut top off and take out seeds). Wear gloves
     when working with hot peppers. Cook vinegar solution for 10 minutes.
     Remove hot peppers and pour over Brussels sprouts, leaving a 1/4-inch
     headspace. Add a clove of garlic, 1 extra dill head, a slice of hot
     pepper in jar (optional). Adjust sterilized lids and process pints 15
     minutes in boiling–water bath canner. Makes about 4 pints

We used a dill brine, hot peppers, and some cayenne- this recipe, except that we did not cook the Brussels sprouts first, and did not put the hot

peppers or dill heads into the brine. We brought the vinegar, water, salt, and cayenne pepper brine to a boil, put a garlic clove, one tsp of dill

seeds, and a dried hot pepper into each jar, packed in the raw sprouts, covered with the hot brine, then processed for 15 minutes.

After two weeks we threw a dinner party to try them out. The crunch of the Brussels sprouts was terrific. The heat was noticeable and lingered.

I look forward to putting on another month of age. With nine pints in all, they will go fast. These sprouts came from Costco last month. I saw

them in the chill room while shopping for supplies. They looked fresh and were one quarter the price of the soggy ones I can get from the local

grocery store. While loading all the purchases into the car, I asked my mom to go back in and purchase two bags of the Brussels sprouts. Then,

on the way home, mom called Judy to heat the jars, find a recipe, and make the brine. By 9:00 PM, the canning was complete. Watch for more

sprout canning in the near future.

Marilyn
     --

False

Thanks Susie and Marilyn...these are copied, printed and waiting for early fall when they are ready for picking here.

I just may try a little of each...my family fell in love with these things and I am anxious to try canning them myself!

Again, thank you so much!  Linda

False

Oh my...I did not know what "Frog Balls" were! I did not like the visual i was getting so just HAD to open this post! LOL

False

Helen, You have company.  I was totally confused by the title as I have seen a frog or two in my life and I don't remember observing anything.  Embarrassed  That resembled  ahhhhhh.  I say a Balloon.   lol

I bet they would be tasty. I have made sauerkraut balls before and they are wonderful.

Now that I know what I am dealing with I'll snoop around.  Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

*Snort*

I've lived with middle school aged boys for too long!

<creeping silently back to the corner, LOL>

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Ladies, LADIES! Brussel sprouts!! Think Brussel Sprouts!

Sue, raising boys will do that since I had three...makes me wonder about Helen and Janie! lol  I have to admit I did a double take when seeing them on the shelf!

False

They sound good....now that you've given me a better visual Wink

I'm thinking I may need to try making a batch of these this fall.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

I edited original post to thank Marilyn and Susie for finding this recipe for me~OMG are they good!

False