Solution to smaller boxes of cake mix | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Solution to smaller boxes of cake mix

Last post Sep 04, 2013 3:59 PM by joylamont . 36 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (37 items) 123
  • Solution to smaller boxes of cake mix

A while ago we had sort of a discussion about the size of cake mixes from Betty Crocker.  Here's what the Cake Mix Doctor, Anne Byrn, says about the 16.5oz size:  The basic rule of thumb is to add 1/3 C Flour to the mix before beginning the recipe.

Now, that's an easy enough solution so that all the recipes that were written for the regular size box can still be used with no problem.  I know that it's not earth-shattering, but I'm glad to know the solution.

carole

False

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
    -Will Rogers

• Re: Solution to smaller boxes of cake mix

Funny you mentioned seeing this Carole-we must have been reading the same thing at about the same time. 

So what about the Betty Crocker mixes that downsized by 3 oz? Duncan Hines downsized by 1 3/4 oz. on their yellow and chocolate cake mixes-don't know about the rest of them-from what I've seen at the store, the other flavors are still 18.25 oz-some are called "signature" and the yellow and chocolate are "classic".  Confusing or what?  All I know is Pillsbury is still 18.25 oz. and I read EVERY WEIGHT before I even pick UP the doggone cake mix box.

Another thing-would you use cake flour or all purpose I wonder?

Life is just getting too stinkin' complicated............Wink

Thanks for the heads up!  Have a great rest of the weekend.

Carol

False

Well, you're ahead of me...I didn't even know that Duncan Heinz downsized they're boxes!  And that's the brand that I buy all the time.  As far as the flour, I'd just use regular flour and throw in some baking powder.  When I have some REALLY OLD cake mixes that expired, I just put in some baking powder and you'd never know just how old they were...rise just like a fresh one.  I know, I know...that's terrible to let something get that old and then still use it.  Big Smile  Of course if it's some kind of expired food that can make you sick, I wait till my husband's not home and then throw it out!

But yeah, you're right.  It does really get confusing when companies do that.  Why don't they just raise the price .20 and leave the size alone.

You have a good rest of the weekend, too!

carole

False

-Will Rogers

Thanks for the info Carole and Carol.  I used the mixes when I did quick last minute orders for Cake Pops,  but have decided to boycott the mixes all together anymore.  I didn't like Duncan Hines answers when questioned about it.  On facebook they say "email us"  and then just tap dance their way around it.  The solution you posted sounds good.  Thanks for the tip.

False

Never Judge Anyone by the opinion of Others.

No regrets, Live your life as you please, not as others want you to

But what about when you aren't making a CAKE, but rather some bars or a cobbler type dessert using a cake mix?

I wrote Betty Crocker asking this question and got the standard canned reply, 'your cake will be wonderful, blah blah blah"....not an answer at all.

I'm back to doing it the old fashioned way with sugar, flour, butter, etc.   

False

Thanks for the tip. I still have three of the old size mixes and I just checked. One "expired" last Oct. but I'll use it anyway. Our neighbor when growing up always added a teas. of baking soda to her mixes and they were always higher and lighter...very good.

Now that DH has diabetes we've cut down on....but not eliminated.... sugar so I now make cupcakes instead of layer cakes as they go a begging. Too much at one time for us. I freeze the cupcakes and then take out one or two as needed. So the size of the boxes don't affect me much anymore.

False
    Cookie carol--you'd still add the flour and maybe a touch of baking powder to the cake mix before starting the cookies. Justyouandme-- I added baking powder to the expired mixes and they came out fine. Munchmouse-- I was glad to find that out since I have a few cake mix cookbooks. Carole
    False

-Will Rogers

Thanks, everyone, for your tips.  I, too, look carefully at every box of cake mix before I buy one.  I made a Duncan Hines spice cake yesterday, and the box (I bought it on 3/31/12) was 18.25 oz. .  I wish they'd just raise the price, instead of cutting the size. 

False

bump

False

I think the Cake Mix Doctor, Anne Byrn, must be getting a lot of the same questions about the new size cake mix.  Here's what she wrote the other day about the Almond Cream Cheese Pound Cake recipe that's in her original book:

• If you are finicky about baking and have a kitchen scale, weigh out 1.75 ounces of flour and add it to the bowl.
    • No scale? Measure 6 tablespoons flour and add it to the bowl.
    • Not so picky? Add somewhere between 1/3 and ½ cup flour to the cake mix before adding other ingredients.
    • No flour? Bake the smaller mixes in 8-inch instead of 9-inch layers and you will have taller layers.

Here’s the website if you want to read the whole article.

http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/blog/

Maybe I was wrong when I thought she was going to re-do all her cake cook books.  Maybe she meant that she was just going to try them out with the newer size boxes.

carole

False

-Will Rogers

I don't think the Betty Crocker mixes are selling well. It seems they are almost always on sale ever since they shrunk .

False

Good...I hope their cake sales go way down!  Big Smile

False

-Will Rogers

This is a big help but I did notice in the store that the Duncan Hines Signature Mixes are still 18 ounces.

False

Only the "Signature" Duncan Heinz mixes are 18.25 oz.  Their  "Classic" yellow, chocolate, white and butter cake mixes are now 16.5 oz.

And in reading more comments on other websites, the addition of flour isn't doing much for the structure of the smaller cake mixes-it's still full of holes and in a lot of cases, very dry.

Such a shame they did this without saying one word to the consumer-people found out when they got home and wasted good ingredients only to find their recipes weren't turning out the same any more.......and then they realized the downsizing of the package.

If these companies were so gung ho about the "reformulation" then why not tell consumers they did it on the box?  "NEW AND IMPROVED" or something like that?  Why just take away 2-3 oz., not say anything and slide the box on the shelves.  Were they hoping people just wouldn't notice?

Yeah.......right..........

False

Hi all.  My intent was to post a Cherry Crisp recipe I tried recently, but I saw this thread and thought I'd add to it.  There is a site I bookmarked some time ago that has some easy, basic cake mix recipes.  White, yellow and chocolate.  I hope it helps with at least some of the issues involved with the smaller cake mixes.

http://chickensintheroad.com/farm-bell-recipes/?search-class=DB_CustomSearch_Widget-db_customsearch_widget&widget_number=preset-default&cs-post_title-0=mix&cs-Ingredients-1=&cs-all-2=Cakes&search=Search

I made this recipe using (not my choice) the smaller version of a white cake mix (Aldi's brand).  It came out just as good - it certainly didn't last long!

Cherry Crisp (serves 12)

2 cans (21 oz each) cherry pie filling

18 1/2 oz box white cake mix

3/4 cup (6 oz) pecan halves

8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter, chilled

Preheat oven to 350-degrees.  Spread pie filling in a 9" x 13" baking dish.  Spread cake mix and pecans evenly over cherries.  Cut butter into small cubes (about 1/8") and scatter evenly over topping.  Bake for 45-50 minutes, until top is golden brown and filling is bubbly.  Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.

Arlene

False