Happy Birthday Sweetie Girl~ and Friend~ Janie~ | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Happy Birthday Sweetie Girl~ and Friend~ Janie~

Last post May 05, 2012 12:04 PM by Appy_Girl . 34 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 123
  • Happy Birthday Sweetie Girl~ and Friend~ Janie~

Gm Janie, we all want to wish you the best today and everyday throughout the coming year. You're such a sweet, funny, kind, pretty lady that we wanted to share in your celebration. So let's have a combination cocktail hour, dinner & dessert and have a party!!

Have a great day!

Lot's of Love,

Jill

Crab Salad in Crisp Wonton Cups 

2007 Ellie Krieger, All Rights Reserved

Prep Time: 25 min, Inactive Prep Time: -- , Cook Time: 10 min, Level: Intermediate, Serves: 6
    6 servings (serving size is 3 pieces)

Crab Wontons

Directions
    For the Wonton Cups:

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    18 wonton wrappers, thawed (if frozen)
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt

For the dressing:
    1 teaspoon lime zest
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1/4 teaspoons salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoons olive oil

For the salad:
    1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
    1 stalk celery, finely diced
    1/2 cup finely diced mango
    1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
    2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 2 mini-muffin tins with cooking spray.

Brush the wonton wrappers with oil, and place each wrapper into a section of a mini-muffin tin. Gently press each wrapper into the tin and arrange so that it forms a cup shape. The wrapper will overlap itself and stick up out of the cup. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until browned and crisp. Remove from the tin and allow wrappers to cool.

Meanwhile whisk together the zest, lime juice, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes. Add the oil and whisk until well combined.

In a medium bowl, toss together the crabmeat, celery, mango, scallion and cilantro. Add dressing and toss to combine. Fill each cup with the crab salad and serve.

Copyright 2012 Television Food Network G.P.
    All Rights Reserved

False

• Re: Happy Birthday Sweet Birthday Day Girl~ and Friend Janie~

Thanks  so Much Birthday Sista  ! Just Birthday days  apart !  Apart ~  With a few years of age in-bewteen !  Naturally I am the youngest !  Devil Amazing isn't it!! 

Boy that sure does look good and ya Crab is one of the first things  I am going to buy when we get back home ! 

Now scoot on over to the track and place your Bet !

Free Mint Julips !  ( Which I hear areTongue Tied  ) 

(((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Jill I have been waiting for you to start singing- that is a lovely appy - our birthday gal is sure to love it _ I have to bring my birthday cake- Happy Bithday sweet lady - you are very special - I hope you have a wonderful day- may your year be good and healthy filled with happiness

Moist Devil's Food Cake

• Yield Makes one 8-inch round layer cake

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pans
    • 3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder, plus more for pans
    • 1/2 cup boiling water
    • 2 1/4 cups sugar
    • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
    • 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
    • 3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup milk
    • Mrs. Milman's Chocolate Frosting

Directions

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange two racks in center of oven. Butter three 8-by-2-inch round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment. Dust bottoms and sides of pans with cocoa powder; tap out any excess. Sift cocoa into a medium bowl, and whisk in boiling water. Set aside to cool.
    2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on low speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down sides twice. Beat in vanilla. Drizzle in eggs, a little at a time, beating between each addition until the batter is no longer slick, scraping down the sides twice.
    3. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk milk into reserved cocoa mixture. With mixer on low speed, alternately add flour and cocoa mixtures to the batter, a little of each at a time, starting and ending with flour mixture.
    4. Divide batter evenly among the three prepared pans. Bake until a cake tester inserted into center of each layer comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes, rotating the pans for even baking. Transfer layers to wire racks; let cool, 15 minutes. Turn out cakes, and return to racks, tops up, until completely cool.
    5. Remove parchment from bottoms of cakes. Reserve the prettiest layer for the top. Place one cake layer on a serving platter; spread 1 1/2 cups chocolate frosting over the top. Add the second cake layer, and spread with another 1 1/2 cups frosting. Top with third cake layer. Cover outside of cake with the remaining 3 cups frosting. Serve.

Cook's Note

The cake keeps well for several days stored on the counter: Cover with plastic wrap or a glass dome to keep the cake from drying out.

False

Honeyed Peach Melba Bellinis

Community Pick!

This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best End of Summer Cocktail
    Sandy Smith's Notes: I created this version of the classic Bellini cocktail to serve at a dinner party celebrating my parents' 40th anniversary. My dad's a chef, so I really wanted every element of the meal to...Expand.

Serves 6 to 8

Honeyed Peach Sorbet:

3/4 cups granulated sugar
     3/4 cups water
     1/2-inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and thinly sliced
    1/4 cup mild-flavored honey
    2 pounds ripe peaches, washed, pitted, and cubed (but not peeled)
    3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Raspberry Simple Syrup:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup water
     1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries

1 bottle Prosecco or other sparkling white wine

1.To make Honeyed Peach Sorbet: In a small saucepan, combine sugar, water, fresh ginger, and honey. Place over medium heat until boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar; let boil for 1 minute. Take saucepan off heat and remove and discard ginger slices. Place saucepan in an ice-water bath or refrigerate till cool.

2. While the honey syrup is cooling, prepare the peaches. Once cubed, toss them with the lemon juice. When the honey syrup is completely cooled, place cubed peaches in a food processor with the chopping blade attachment and pour cooled syrup over them; puree until smooth.

3. Pour sorbet base into ice-cream machine and process according to manufacturer's directions. Place in freezer for at least 3 hours prior to serving.

4. To make Raspberry Simple Syrup: Place sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved. Add raspberries and let boil for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.

5. Pour the raspberry syrup mixture through a chinois or sieve, into a bowl. Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to press the raspberries through the chinois, removing the seeds. Cool syrup in an ice-water bath or in refrigerator. When cool, pour into a container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate until ready to use.
    Ask the hotline about this step!

6. To assemble Bellinis: For each serving, place 1 scoop of Honeyed Peach Sorbet in a champagne flute or small wineglass. Drizzle with a tablespoon of Raspberry Simple Syrup and pour Prosecco or other sparkling white wine over. Serve immediately.

False

This is the one I saw on the Rachael Ray show yesterday that looked so yummy. I was thinking the last one was the same thing, but this looks so much easier!

Melba Bellinis

Melba Bellinis
 -- 05/03/12

Ingredients

• 1 ounce peach purée or peach nectar
    • 1 ounce raspberry purée
    • 4 ounces Prosecco (Italian sparkling wine)

Yields: 1

Preparation

Pour the peach purée or nectar and raspberry purée into a champagne flute. Top off with Prosecco.

Ingredients

• 1 ounce peach purée or peach nectar
    • 1 ounce raspberry purée
    • 4 ounces Prosecco (Italian sparkling wine)

Yields: 1

Preparation

Pour the peach purée or nectar and raspberry purée into a champagne flute. (pouring slowly to layer) Top off with Prosecco.

False

Back to Birthday Cakes

"Who's Counting?" Birthday Cake

Transform sheet cakes from basic to impressive with simple stencils, some straightforward cutting skills, and colorful candies. If your birthday girl or boy prefers chocolate, make a double batch of the Number-Themed Mini Birthday Cupcakes; bake for about 20 minutes.
    Martha Stewart Living, January 2011
    • Prep Time 30 minutes
    • Total Time 1 hour 30 minutes
    • Yield Makes two 12-by-17-inch cakes (enough for 2 numbers)

Ingredients

• For the cakes:
    • 4 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for baking sheets and parchment
    • 9 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising), plus more for parchment
    • 1/4 cup baking powder
    • Salt
    • 3 cups whole milk
    • 3 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
    • 4 1/2 cups sugar
    • 14 large egg whites, room temperature
    • For Decorating:
    • Swiss Meringue Buttercream
    • 2 pounds multicolored candy-coated chocolates (mymms.com)

Directions

1. Make the cakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 12-by-17-inch rimmed baking sheets. Line with parchment. Butter parchment, and dust with flour, tapping out excess. Sift flour, baking powder, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt into a bowl.
    2. Combine milk and vanilla. Beat butter with a mixer on medium speed until very smooth. With machine running, gradually add sugar, and beat until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
    3. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until just combined; do not overmix.
    4. Beat egg whites in a clean mixer bowl on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Gently fold egg whites into batter in 3 additions.
    5. Transfer batter to baking sheets, smoothing tops with an offset spatula. Bake until tops spring back when pressed with a finger and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in sheets on wire racks for 15 minutes. Loosen edges of cakes with a small metal spatula or paring knife; invert onto racks. Discard parchment. To prevent splitting, reinvert cakes, top side up. Let cool completely.
    6. Decorate the cakes: Place "20" stencil (or another number) onto 1 cake, setting numbers side by side. Secure with toothpicks. Cut around each stencil using a paring knife. Remove scraps. Repeat with remaining cake.
    7. Spread 2 cups buttercream onto the "2," and spread 2 cups buttercream onto the "0." Top each number with remaining matching cake number, and frost tops and sides of each with remaining buttercream. Cover each cake with rows of candies.
    False

Gm Salsa,

Oh my, that looks like a crowd pleaser! I would mind a bite or 10 (ok 20) of that cake, it looks so scrumptious!

False

Here's wishing our pretty lady many more birthdays cheers

Strawberry Margaritas

Strawberry Margaritas Recipe

Strawberry Margaritas

This strawberry margarita recipe tastes better than any you'd get at a Mexican restaurant, and it's cheaper too.

Cooking Light APRIL 1998

• Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients

• 3 1/2 cups strawberries
    • 2 1/2 cups crushed ice
    • 1/2 cup tequila
    • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 3 tablespoons Cointreau (orange-flavored liqueur)
    • Lime wedges (optional)

Preparation

Combine strawberries, ice, tequila, lime juice, sugar, and liqueur in a blender, and process until the mixture is smooth. Pour the margaritas into 4 large glasses. Garnish margaritas with a lime wedge, if desired. Serve immediately.

False

Happy Birthday to you!!!!!

This made me think of you....It comes from The Food Pusher & looks scrumptious!

strawberry bites

Strawberry Chocolate Cake Bites

Ingredients:
    48 one-inch cubes of angel food cake
    12 medium to large strawberries, cleaned, hulled, and quartered
    4 oz. tasty dark chocolate (I use Dove Dark Chocolate), coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Directions:
    Place chopped chocolate in a medium sized heat-proof bowl.  In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring cream and butter to a simmer.  Once cream/butter has come to a simmer, pour over the chocolate and let sit for about 10 minutes.  Stir chocolate and cream with a rubber/silicone spatula until completely mixed.  Set aside to cool to a pudding-like consistency, about an hour and a half to two hours, if room temperature is about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Once the chocolate ganache (chocolate and cream mixture) is the right consistency, spoon about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon onto each angel food cake cube.  Pierce a strawberry quarter with a toothpick so that about half an inch extends beyond the bottom of the piece of strawberry, and then poke into the chocolate-topped cake cube.  Pop one in your mouth to see if they taste good.  They do. 

(As a note - I stuck this post to the top, anytime you want to celebrate one of our members special days, make the post & shoot me a PM - we'll stick it up there so it doesn't get missed!) Yes

True

Online Community / Field Editor Manager

Feel free to reach out to me anytime!

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sue.stetzel@RD.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Bite-Sized Boo Bugs

First of all, please excuse the horrible photo.  This is what happens when 1 – you are at someone else’s house and you don’t know where to find the “good” light and 2 – it is so cloudy outside that it looks like it’s 9pm instead of 6pm. 

But regardless of the photo, I think these little guys turned pretty cute!  Every year, my family gets together for an annual Halloween/pumpkin carving party.  We had soups and bread, and some spooky appetizers and desserts.  These little bugs were one of my contributions.  They go together pretty easily, although it does take a little bit of time to “decorate” them.  But if you want to get the kids involved – let them play with their food and allow them to decorate their own bugs!!  I wasn’t quite sure of the best way to “draw” on them with the ketchup and mustard, but my sister had the brilliant idea of using a ziploc bag with a tiny corner cut out.  It worked perfectly!

Although I’m not one to normally eat bugs, these are bugs that I would gladly eat!

Bite-Sized Boo Bugs
    from BettyCrocker.com

makes 24 bugs

1 can (11-oz) refrigerated breadsticks
    24 cocktail-sized smoked link sausages
    Chow mein noodles
    Ketchup and mustard for decorating

Heat oven to 375°F. Unroll dough; separate at perforations into 12 breadsticks. With knife or kitchen scissors, cut each breadstick in half crosswise, making 24 pieces.

Wrap each piece of dough around center of each sausage, pinching to seal and leaving each end of sausage showing. Place seam side down and 1/2 inch apart on ungreased large cookie sheet.

Bake 11 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet; place on serving plate or tray. Cool 2 minutes.

Insert chow mein noodles into baked dough to resemble legs. Decorate “bugs” with dots or stripes of ketchup.  

False

Definitely not as lucious sounding as Salsa cake recipe, but I thought this looked interestingly good!

Strawberry & Champagne Terrine
    by Stephen Durfee

Strawberry & Champagne Terrine Recipe

This lovely terrine is made in a 6-cup loaf pan, but you can vary the look of it by using two or more smaller molds or mini-loaf pans, or by alternating the Champagne and strawberry components in several layers in one pan. Just be sure that each layer is almost completely set before pouring on another. Serve the well-chilled terrine cut in thin slices.Serves eight to ten.

For the champagne layer:
    1/4 cup cold water 
    1 Tbs. powdered gelatin (about 1-1/2 packets)
    1/3 cup sugar
    1-1/2 cups Champagne or sparkling wine
    1/2 cup sliced strawberries

For the strawberry layer:
    1 Tbs. powdered gelatin (about 1-1/2 packets) 
    2 Tbs. Champagne or sparkling wine
    2 pints strawberries, rinsed and hulled
    2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
    3 to 6 Tbs. sugar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the Champagne layer:

Put the water in a small saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin on top, and leave to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the sugar and cook over medium-low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar and melt the gelatin (don’t let it boil). In a medium bowl, combine the gelatin mixture and Champagne. Set the bowl over ice and chill, stirring often, until it reaches the consistency of unbeaten egg whites. Carefully stir in the sliced strawberries.

Meanwhile, set a loaf pan in the refrigerator so that it’s tilted at a 45-degree angle. (Use a wedge of cheese, sticks of butter, or something similar to prop up the pan.) Pour the Champagne mixture into the pan. Let sit until just set, about 2 hours.

For the strawberry layer:
    In a small saucepan, soften the gelatin in the 2 Tbs. Champagne, about 3 minutes. Set the pan over low heat and heat to dissolve the gelatin. Purée the berries with the lemon juice, add the sugar to taste, and then strain the mixture through a fine sieve. Whisk the softened gelatin into the strawberry purée.

Once the Champagne layer has almost set, set the loaf pan on a level surface (preferably in the refrigerator so that it won’t have to be moved) and carefully pour in the strawberry purée. Refrigerate at least 6 hours but preferably overnight. To unmold the terrine, cover a cutting board with waxed paper, dip the loaf pan quickly into hot water, and invert it onto the board. Slice the terrine into 1/2-inch portions; garnish with sliced fresh strawberries, if you like.

nutrition information (per serving):
    Size : based on ten servings; Calories (kcal): 90; Fat (g): 0; Fat Calories (kcal): 0; Saturated Fat (g): 0; Protein (g): 2; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 0; Carbohydrates (g): 15; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 0; Sodium (mg): 5; Cholesterol (mg): 0; Fiber (g): 2;

False

Hey Salsa, I like the looks of that 20 !  I'll take it !

Thank so much Sue for the sticky!   I really appreciate it and all of these heart felt replies.

All of you  really are a great group and I am so happy to have made so many special friends here on Toh !

you all are like a Breadth of Sunshine on a Rainey day. Big Smile

Now get on down to the Stable and Pick a winner !   Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/t/861168.aspx 

Since my Birthday always  falls around Derby  Day I had to add this. I have had many Birthdays  fall on Derby Day. 

Complete list and photos of all of this years  entries.

I love the Horses~ 

Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

Hope you have a great day, Ms. Janie! Let us know what you're up to and of course eating. :^)

All these recipes look so great, but Sue, I love the sound and the simplicity of the one you posted.

False

Happy birthday Blondie.Jill said it all.You are very special to us.And I don`t know how you do it,but you are getting younger.Wink

D H and I wish you the best today and everyday.Hope your year is healthy and pain free from now on.Right Hug

Much love,

Big Sis

Here`s a snack or appy you can whip up as you say "in no time flat."Truffled Popcorn

Truffled Popcorn

Truffled popcorn makes an everyday snack an elegant gourmet treat. Serve this truffled popcorn recipe as a snack or appetizer. Truffle oil is a relatively inexpensive way to infuse foods with the delicious flavor of truffles.
    Ingredients
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 teaspoons white truffle oil
    Fresh grated Parmesan
    12 cups popcorn, popped
    Directions
    1.In a small bowl or large glass measuring cup, melt the butter; add the truffle oil, then stir.
    2.Drizzle the butter and oil mixture over the popcorn; add some fresh grated Parmesan and toss to coat

False