How To Make Strawberries Last Longer | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How To Make Strawberries Last Longer

Last post Jun 06, 2012 10:23 AM by chefly . 20 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12
  • How To Make Strawberries Last Longer
    I found this on tastespotting this morning and knew it would be helpful to many people. Strawberries are on sale this week so I'll pick up a few containers and see if it works.
    Chefly
    Last week, I picked up some gorgeous, plump strawberries from the farmer's market. I left them sitting on the counter and by the next day almost the entire container had shriveled and turned moldy.
    Boo. That was $5 down the drain.
    Then I remembered, all too late, a trick that I had read in a magazine (can't recall which one) that would keep the strawberries from getting icky. I picked up another basket of strawberries to test the trick and it worked.
    Take your fresh strawberries and put them in a large bowl. Run some cold water over top of them.
    For every 2 cups of water, stir in 1/4 cup vinegar. You can use distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of the vinegar will kill all the mold spores and bacteria on the strawberries. I promise you will not taste the vinegar on the strawberries!
    Swish the strawberries around in the vinegar/water solution and let them soak for 5 minutes or so. Drain, give the strawberries a little rinse, and then place them on a towel-lined cookie sheet to dry. Once the strawberries are dry, store them in an open container in the fridge. Mine have lasted a week and could possibly go longer, but I eat mine before the week is up. You could also cap the strawberries, leave them on the cookie sheet, pop in the freezer overnight, and then transfer the individually frozen strawberries to a freezer bag. Use the frozen strawberries in a fruit ice cream or smoothie.
    http://betterthandoinglaundry.blogspot.com/2012/05/make-your-strawberries-last-longer.html
    False
  • Re: How To Make Strawberries Last Longer
    wow Chef, Thats a fabulous tip ! Thanks a bunch Janie
    False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

I read this hint somewhere last year and tried it.It did work.But If you just did`nt remind me  I would`nt have thought of it.

Thank you Ro.Please remind me next year too.Lol.

Hiya Janie,

Rosie

False

I saw this on Pinterest recently. Thanks for reminding us about it. I need to try this. It's getting to be berry season.

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

I'm just about to soak the strawberries in the vinegar/water solution.

I'll let everyone know how well it worked.Smile

Joan, I hope you check back and it worked.

chefly

False

Thanks Chef-

I read this a couple weeks ago , meant to write it down and forgot. I am so glad you posted this. Thanks for the reminder I saved it now

- My strawberries in the fridge need a vinegar bath today!

~Alliea

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Such a super great tip Chefly, thank-you!

I've read several tips & ideas on the bb this week that have been such a great find!

You guys are great!!

False

I bought 2 boxes of strawberries Saturday with plans to eat them Monday- Memorial Day.

That didn't happen for a number of reasons, so yesterday I used the method chef posted . After drying the berries I placed them into the paper towel lined bottom of an open tupperware container. DH enjoyed some of the berries yesterday and they still look great today -Day 5.

Thanks chef.~Alliea

False

Ok I am sooooooo ready for Strawberries.  Maybe today !  Thanks  again.

Janie

Strawberries on the countertop.  Will not last long .Big Smile

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Allie,

Your berries are on day 5? Are you tempted to let one go just to see how long it will look good?

Mine are on day 2 not counting the day/night I put them in the vinegar solution and they look great.

Did you cover yours at all? I'm wondering about covering mine loosely with some plastic wrap.

Thanks for letting us know. I wonder if this method would work on other fruit too. Blueberries, cherries, raspberries, etc.

chefly

False

chefly
    Your berries are on day 5? Are you tempted to let one go just to see how long it will look good?

If the berries were regular size I might just let one go chef, but these berries are huge and I would hate to waste such large pricey berries.

I just lined the bottom of a Tupperware container with paper towel and left them uncovered . Due to their size I turned them over once each day mostly to see the bottom of the berries and all looked really good. ~Alliea

False

chefly

I wonder if this method would work on other fruit too. Blueberries, cherries, raspberries, etc.

chefly

I used the concentration you posted chef but I found this re: other berries. ~Alliea

Keep Strawberries Fresh

http://www.bakersfieldmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/20100903-strawberries.jpg

Here’s a tip that I’ve used for years and years, thanks to my grandma.

Sometimes I forget, and get frustrated at myself when the strawberries get
    moldy and mushy in a day!

But it’s that time to year to share this tip, so pass it on!

To keep the strawberries fresh longer, use 1 Part white vinegar to 10 Parts
    water. Soak the strawberries, leaves and all in the vinegar/water mixture for
    about 5 minutes. Then drain the strawberries in a colander until dry. Then store
    them uncovered in the refrigerator.

The vinegar/water mixture kills any mold spores on the strawberries and keeps
    them fresh longer. The vinegar does not affect the taste. (This also works for
    all kinds of berries: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries,
    etc.)

False

Alliea, that is great news! I'll try the lower ratio of vinegar next time.

Thank you!

chefly

False

Sounds like it's worth a try.

People don't know not to wash the strawberries at all if you do not want to use the above method because the water causes mold to form and you will loose them faster than just putting them in the frig dry. I bought some at Costco and they lasted over a week because I did nothing to them.

Next batch I buy I will give the vinegar method a try. Thanks for the tip. I never have heard of this.

False

My strawberries lasted 5 days. They might have lasted longer but we ate them!Big Smile

They weren't quite as fresh looking as the first few days but they were uncovered so I can understand why. It did keep washed strawberries from molding and getting too soft so I will use this method whenever I know I'll have leftover washed strawberries.

chefly

False