PCH Kitchen: Welcome to June | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

PCH Kitchen: Welcome to June

Last post Jul 01, 2012 7:31 PM by lin_65 . 63 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 5 (64 items) 12345
  • PCH Kitchen: Welcome to June

WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN

Good morning, so good to see you. We hope you'll find the warmth and the friendship here that we have been privileged to enjoy. We have a common bond. We are Physically Challenged Homemakers.

We share affection for one another through compassion, honesty, and most importantly, respect for one another and one another's situations.

We gather here to share information on ways to make our lives easier, to offer support to each other and to share humor and laughter, sometimes tears and always good food.

There is always room in the kitchen for all who would like to join in...So help yourself to a cup of coffee, cocoa, tea or fruit juice. There are always fresh fruit , muffins, coffee cake and cookies....pull up a chair at the old country table and visit awhile.....and remember to tell a friend.

For our old friends that have not been by for awhile, we hope you will drop in and let us know how you are doing.

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

• Re: PCH Kitchen: Welcome to June

These months are just going by so fast. I was just starting on the May one, and couldn't believe it that it was May, and now that is already over!

It cooled down to the upper 40's last night (early morning), and now it's supposed to be in the lower 70's today.

Mary

False

Hi Gals, Mary, thanks for opening the June Kitchen. Weather has been staying the same.This is 4th day of overcast and in low 70 temps. House has stayed at 71 to 73 degrees day and night. Cooling off to 60 temps tomorrow. Just get quick shower once in awhile. Rain has been staying north of us I think. Will make this brief because dryer is ready to finish.

DD took me for Dental cleaning yesterday morning. I got myself out the door with my wheelchair and didn't notice outdoor cat went in expecting to get a treat. So she was locked inside. Longest she has been in a house. But she does stay in family garage at night. DD went to safeway while I was at dentist. The deli department put out fresh made Chinese Food so dd picked up one for my lunch. It was 2 portion tray. It was heaped so full the lid just lay on top and they sealed it in plastic wrap. Well, it was enough for my lunch and dinner. So good! Been awhile since I had Chinese. On way home when we went around the last corner a deer was leading its new born across the road. I had never seen sure a young one before. It could hardly walk. Mother must have thought the birth place wasn't safe and moved it. I was so wore out yesterday afternoon I sat in my recliner for 4 hours reading. Didn't even get on computer yesterday. I have been getting more fatigued this year.

Connie, thanks for update on Dee. Hope she is really careful on those crutches.

Lin, glad you could post again.

DD has just been too busy to do any gardening. SIL family will arrive sometime end of next week for grandchildrens graduation and promotion. And granddaughters birthday June 10. And DD has 3 or 4 dance costumes to make. I don't know if she turned in My housing permit to county yet. She did have me sign the last of the paper work. But never asked for a check yet.

Hi Ann, hope you have some enjoyable weather before it heats up too much.

Wishing all a nice weekend.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Evening ladies, yes the year is going by fast. Deery sure hate to hear you are feeling more fatigued this year, then again any stress and your trips to the doctor you have to make have to be very tiring aren't they? Poor barn kitty, I had to giggle her running into the house to pay you a visit and here you were leaving, I just bet she curled up for a while when you were gone. Chinese food sounds yummy Deery. I fried some yellow summer squash with some peeled sliced up potatoes and chopped onions in it too. Then sauteed 3 boneless pork loin chops in a bit of oil, added water as per say on the Pork Stove Top box, added a small can of drained mushroom stems and pieces, then added a can of Golden mushroom soup, stirred all up and sprayed a casserole with Pam and bake in the oven to just keep it heated like a casserole till Kerry got home. He asked what it was and I looked at him like "duh" I don't know, just threw together, needless to say we enjoyed our supper and some cottage cheese too. Deer are such beautiful creatures and to see the momma's with their babies is a sight to see. Glad you were able to curl up with a book to read Deery, my eyes would have been snapping shut today, been fighting a headache most of the day. Kerry leaves this Sun. for Detroit again, will be gone a couple weeks then back home, not sure what I will be up to while he is gone, I know the wet ground will keep me off the mower for a while. Sounds like a winner to me, hehe. I think Ann and Jim and her brother? have been working on the watering system again today and she had posted they might get it done this weekend, I know they have to be excited about it and the easier way of keeping their grass watered, especially with Jim gone like he is during fire season. Well I need to see about getting some starched shirts ironed, dropped them in starch water early this morning and hung out on the deck to blow dry in the wind, makes for a heavier starch for me, dryer softens it up to much for my liking. Enjoy your weekend as well, Hugs, Connie

False

Summer weather seems to be here. It gets cooler at night (60's) and 80's during the day. This cool/hot weather is not easy to adjust to though. We really need rain here. Most of the state got rained on, but our city was missed last week. There is a chance tomorrow night.

I had put out my Amaryllis plant, that bloomed in early spring, outside. I noticed today that it had buds on it for 2 more flowers. I'm so surprised, because they only have bloomed once a year for me, before. I brought it inside again because those flowers shouldn't have direct sun- shortens the flower's life. I needed some rain water for 3 of my tropical plants inside, and it hasn't rained in several weeks, so I put some filtered water from the refrigerator in a watering cup, and let it sit all night to come to room temp., then used it. The filter takes out many bad minerals for the plants (like chlorine, and other stuff).

Have a nice weekend!

Mary

False

Hi Gals, it might get up to 65 degrees. I had to put on my winter fleece cardigan. Thought it could be put away until next fall. Dang! Then a couple of days with 50 temps predicted.

Some days I think I am going bonkers. I cannot see my wand to open my blinds here in computer room. I felt with my back scratcher but could not feel it. It seems like I could see it if it fell to floor. Will have DD investigate when she comes over to clean. AND I think a mouse might have died in my linen closet. Yuk, yuk! And son and DIL are coming on June ll. Don't want my house smelling. DD probably won't want to take everything out so will probably have to have son and DIL do it. Wait and see.

DD is here. BYE.

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Mouse is gone. I thought I didn't have anymore mice in house  since last year. I have small storage containers on floor in linen closet. I forgot DD put one mouse trap behind containers. DD removed containers and there was mouse in trap. What a relief to have that smell gone.

Son in laws brother in law's 100 yr old grandmother died in southern Calif so they won't make it in time for grandsons graduation. And it would be a lot of driving for them to go from Sacramento to southern Calif then back to Sac. for a night or few hours then drive to nw oregon. DD is thinking of calling them to come up later in the summer to spent some time.

Well, I need to eat some lunch.

Wishing all a nice week.

Hugs, Deery

False

It's cloudy here today, so maybe we will get rain tonight. They predict it, but it is a 50% chance, then isolated rain tomorrow. I hope we get some this time! I have saucers outside ready to catch rain water so I can bring it in and use it for some plants.

A few years ago, we caught about 16 mice over a year, then 1 or 2 last year, and none so far this year. I just can't believe the places they can get in to! My mother in law had made some nice clothes for me once, then put them in a closed trunk in a room, and mice got in there and ate holes in some places! How did they do that?! Glad your mouse is gone, Deery.

Bye for now!

Mary

False

hehe, Deery I just bet you ARE glad to have that mouse out of there! Whewww, they do stink don't they. Kerry has had alot out in his shop, I mean it is NOT sealed well anyway, so naturally they are going to get it, but we put out a bunch of glue mouse traps, or Kerry did, not this gal! I was the one who noticed something running and told him he needed to put traps out, well I bought them and when he put them out it really was kinda funny how many he was catching, a couple of the traps could not hold another mouse! I mean these things had bodies stuck, paws stuck, feet stuck! Good grief. He said one he put down he had no sooner walked away when he heard it flopping and mouse was there trying to get away. The winter is the worse I think, looking for someplace warm to get into. The cats are pretty good about catching mice or moles, the moles they bring the darned things up to the house for me, uck, uck, not a prize I want. Sorry to hear about the death in the in laws family but you have to admit she must have lived a full life to be 100 years old. Kerry made it to MI ok, bit of a rough landing due to strong cross winds but he said the pilot did a good job, I myself hate to fly! I have had bad experiences the few times I have flown, don't like the turbulance that throws containers all up in the air or emergency vehicles meeting the plane we were to go out on, on the run way and then the long waiting checking it out and then going on that same darned plane, hehe. Trying to order my meds today and no refill, doctor had not sent it in, so had to call their office for him to fax it in, *sigh* I know he is busy......... but.... anyway, hopefully he will get it done today. Deery when is your DGS due to graduate? Our grandsons in AL are out of school for the summer and I think Russ is too and I have not seen the school bus go by here at 6:30 in the morning for a week or so now, so here must be out too. Deery send me some of your clouds and I will send you some of my sunshine, was quite windy yesterday but nice. Picked another pink tomato and another soon to ripen. Ohhhh Kerry and I walked out to see our little fruit trees we planted last year and we picked some small Santa Rosa plums off a tree! Surprised they did anything this year, boy are they ever small. Now I am wanting some fresh plums so I may head to Wal Mart and pick up a few to munch on. Hope everyone had a good weekend and a even better week. Hugs, Connie

False

Strawberry Upside Down
    Cake

Ingredients:

2 - Cups crushed fresh strawberries

1 - (6 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin mix

3 - Cups miniature marshmallows

1 - (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix, batter prepared as directed on package.

Directions:

1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Spread crushed strawberries on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Evenly
    sprinkle strawberries with the dry gelatin powder, and top with mini
    marshmallows.

3. Prepare the cake mix as directed on the package, and pour on top of the marshmallows.
    Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out
    clean, about 40 to 50 minutes.

Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the pan to loosen the sides,
    and turn the cake out onto a serving tray. Store cake in the refrigerator.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving Calories: 290 | Total Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: < 1mg

— with

False

Strawberry Upside Down
    Cake

Ingredients:

2 - Cups crushed fresh strawberries

1 - (6 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin mix

3 - Cups miniature marshmallows

1 - (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix, batter prepared as directed on package.

Directions:

1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Spread crushed strawberries on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan. Evenly
    sprinkle strawberries with the dry gelatin powder, and top with mini
    marshmallows.

3. Prepare the cake mix as directed on the package, and pour on top of the marshmallows.
    Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out
    clean, about 40 to 50 minutes.

Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the pan to loosen the sides,
    and turn the cake out onto a serving tray. Store cake in the refrigerator.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving Calories: 290 | Total Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: < 1mg

False

Hi Gals, had some rain today. Overcast continues for the week it looks like. DGS graduates on Fri June 8. He has school 3 days this week. DGD has promotion from 8th grade on Monday June 11. She has school this week and Monday.

Mary, hope you get some rain so you can collect it for your flowers.

Connie, I have that strawberry cake recipe from the 1970s. Remember it was delicious. Remember one time cat got on counter and was eating the top when I caught her. That is the only time I remember her getting on kitchen counter.

Waving to rest of Kitchen Gals. Enjoy the week.

Hugs, Deery

False

Well darnit, guess I wanted to make sure everyone got a copy of the cake Deery, it took forever to post, waiting and waiting, then hit post the reply again, and the darn thing went twice. *sigh* Oh well, guess you can't get to much of a good thing then? *smile* I have not tried it Deery but since this is strawberry season I thought"oh man this sounds to good not to share and by posting here, I have some where to find it besides on the copies I printed out, yes, I did say COPIES, lol. The only thing though the marshmallows, so gonna give making the homemade sugar free marshmallows a whirl, I mean this cake really really sounds good and someone said you just gottaaaa use the marshmallows, sounds good to me, hehe. I can just see your cat eating the topping of the cake Deery, hehe and I like to say Clea never gets up on the counter, I have never seen her eat a thing on the counter, but she sure has gotten up in my huge kitchen window over the sink and been caught sitting there looking at the outside kitty cats. She tested me the first time I guess to see if I would say anything, Yeppp, and down she came, then the brat laid right smack on my dining room table cloth in the sun, she knowsss better than that. She gets run off real quick and I have no doubt in my mind she is nosey while I am gone. She is a girlie cat, she likes Mommas pretties, meaning my ring and earrings, have found her with a couple of those, so they get put away. She will grab the wrappers of sugar free cough drops and carry them through the house, no wonder I have trouble finding one, hehe. She has taken pennys and quarters and put in her water dish as well as the bathtub to push around. She likes putting things in her water dish alot, meaning her stuffed catnip mouse, right in her water bowl and I am wondering what the heck is that brown thing turning the water brown. Spoiled she is. Deery didn't u say your DGS is going to be going to college as well? Where will he be going? Any your DD makes your DGD dancing costumes too? Does she sew for other people as well, making costumes? The sun is shining today, they say partly cloudy but I have not seen that part, went outside for mail and to feed the furbabies and came right back in, had watered the tomatoes and raised garden early this morning but heat is to much for me today. Been fighting with headaches for several days off and on, finally took a migraine headache pill and it has pretty much nipped it in the bud and laid down for a 30 min nap till the phone rang, doctors office. Felt better though. Well time for me to get up and make like I am doing something, probably get the clothes out of the dryer and hung and put away, then figure something for supper. Maybe some frozen Chinese, wanna join me Deery, I believe it is beef lo mein. Have a good evening ladies, hugs, Connie

False

Hi Girls,

Deery, glad your DD could take care of the mouse problem for you.  I would have been screaming, can't stand those little critters myself.  Might be time to let the barn kitty stay in for a bit for mouse patrol!!  Sorry to hear of the loss of your inlaw's family, what a wonderful life to have lived that long.  Hope you are staying warm there, crazy weather we are having the last few days huh.  Last week it was in the 90's.

Mary, hope you are doing well and that it's not been to hot out your way.  Try any more new recipes for your crockpot?  Always interested in hearing what you have tried and if it was a succes.  Hope your week is a good one.

Connie, so cute to hear about Clea's little antics with things in her bowl, so cute!!!  I know they are good at doing things like that.  Boo Boo does his kitty Olympics  with his climbing and running amok!!    Sorry about the snafu with your meds, hope the doctor was able to get your refills done for you.  Glad Kerry got to MI o.k.  Scary when the winds are so bad.  Your recipe sounds yummy, will have to try this one, should be able to make it with sugar free jello right? 

Well we finally got the third line of sprinklers in and now because of the weather we will waite until it's warmer to plant seed, hopefully soon.  It's been in the 60's which is a big change from the 90's we were having last week.  Busy week for us here, this weekend is the bookfair and also the townwide yard sale so will be crazy.  Also a close family friend is graduating from High School on Friday so we will be going to that.  Also getting ready for the Annual Lawn Mower races on Father's day si it has been pretty busy.  Hope everyone is doing well and has a good week. Hugs, Ann

False

Ann: I found a good recipe on this Taste of Home site for a crock pot lasagna. The recipe has Alfredo sauce, but I just use tomato sauce. I made a recipe for lasagna that I have had for years, in the crock pot. So I guess any lasagna recipe can be done that way- I usually cook my lasagna noodles first, instead of buying the more expensive refrigerated ones- have to cook the noodles if you are baking it anyway. I'll be putting the recipe in the crock pot this afternoon. Everything is cooked, so only takes a few hours to get done- now my kitchen won't be heated up. I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese, and works very well.

I just found a crochet pattern for my dad for Father's Day- it's a remote holder/caddy that fits over a chair or couch arm. It has 2 pouches. I started and finished last night in an hour or two. I didn't know I crocheted so fast! When I want a project done, I get it done, and I don't let it "sit" and come back to it.

There have been cities over the state that have had flooding lately, but we still haven't had any rain in Columbia. We haven't had to mow for a few weeks now- grass just isn't growing.

My amaryllis plant is blooming this summer (opened up today/last night). It never did any other summer- just once in the winter, then just a "leafy" plant until next time.

Mary

False