Substitute for Fresh onions | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Substitute for Fresh onions

Last post Sep 05, 2012 8:18 PM by becky66 . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Substitute for Fresh onions
    My wife doesn't mind the flavor, but she hates the texture of onions in any form. This has caused some real problems as it limits the recipes I can make that we both can enjoy. She's okay with the flavor and has recommended I substitute onion powder or granulated onion instead of fresh. Can anyone help me with an amount of either onion powder or granulated onion as a substitute for fresh?
    False
  • Re: Substitute for Fresh onions

Onion powder and onion salt has salt added to it. So if you need to watch your sodium count, you may want to think of avoiding these to for health reasons.

ONION Substitute– 1 small fresh chopped onion equals 1 tablespoon instant minced onion or 1/4 cup frozen chopped onion; 1 tablespoon onion powder equals 1 medium-sized fresh onion

Have you thought also of using onion flavored soup mix for onion flavored. Even it has sodium count to watch. But it can add a nice flavor to some recipes.

False

I order from Penzey's spices...their white powdered onion and the toasted onion powder.  Go onto the site and read about it.  Both taste great!

False

AnnStar

Count me in as a Penzy's fan. 

Speaking of no salt, they also have many items that are salt free in their salt free section.  They also have specials on shipping often if you sign up for their catalogue and emails.  Their catalogue is wonderful, with wonderful stories and recipes (just like Taste of Home) :D

False

Music Cookie baker and cake decorator Music

Another thought for you....I have used the dried onion flakes on occasion when I've been out of fresh onions. The pieces are so small that they are not easily detected, (have actually snuck them by some "onion haters" on a couple of occasions!)  and my opinion is they have better flavor than the powdered onion. I generally use about 1 tablespoon to equal to about 1/4 - 1/3 cup chopped fresh onion.

False

Becky

Taste of Home Field Editor

"It's not cooking if you're not making a mess."