Daily Low Carb Chat Week of Sept 17- 23 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Daily Low Carb Chat Week of Sept 17- 23

Last post Sep 23, 2012 5:41 PM by Albany_NY . 51 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1234
  • Daily Low Carb Chat Week of Sept 17- 23

Good morning! May I? Coffee

Doris- you have a couple of long days ahead of you- safe trip, dear- hope all goes easily for dh's tests...!  You did a great catch up, too!

Barb- thanks for the tomato suggestion- I don't want to lose even one of them! Wink I see a lot of grills still at Home Depot...have to think they're season closeouts...might look!

Janie- hope you driveway doesn't get any longer while you're away..Big Smile  you do have such a lovely property...and trees are just the best! I hope Blair will be encouraged by his pt...you have set the example of how to come back from surgery...Yes

Carol- you must have a ginormous freezer- and I'm glad you were able to deal so well with what might have been a huge loss...has anyone invented a freezer alarm? Maybe we should! Hope Michelle is performing someplace!

Patrice- I hope you're doing OK with the extra covering for your g'kids. I still feel so sad for the young man and his family...and all of his friends- especially your son..

Linny- I know you have lots of concerns about your Mom- I hope your family is continuing to help with her needs, so you don't have to do it alone...keep up the great weight  loss work, GF!

Ann- I'm so glad you had people who spoke so well of Myron- it's always good to hear praise for people we love...too often, people won't speak of a person so as "not to remind them" of their loved one...as if!  Maybe this group will be helpful- even if it's small...and you may help the other 2 women a lot...poor dears, both of them..

Connie- I hope all is familiar now being back in the swing...and hope you'll do your lunchtime walking group again- you did enjoy it before!

Pam- I bet you're so busy running from volleyball to football and back...and, oh, yeah...your job!

Sending a shout out to Mary, Renate, Alphy...

We had a great meal on the grill...eggplant slices, some beef tenderloin, and a great salad with tomatoes being the star!

Very busy week ahead...2 board meetings, 2 medical appts, lunch with friends, etc...whoo!

Waving and sending hugs...

Margaret

False
  • Re: Daily Low Carb Chat Week of Sept 17- 23

Gm Everyone !  M, What a great catch up and girl you breezed right through the week. I feel like its  Friday already.

I need to check out that tomato suggestion.  I bought a small basket this past weeked along with some peaches.

Peaches  are not as good as they were.  They are now getting very pulpy and the flesh is mushy.  Glad I got one last cobb in.  lol  I Simmered the tomatoes down till they are almost a thick paste. I may make some fresh tomato soup out of  them.  Meat loaf is sounding pretty good for tonight.  I may stuff it with mushrooms and cheese and will do a Brussel Sprout side.

Having lunch with Mr's  father today.  He turns 90. i made him one of our favorite chocolate cakes.  Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake. Normally I would not  frost  this rich chocolate cake but today I will. 

Think we will do a few more trees this afternoon. Have to take advantage of these beautiful autumn days.  Think rain is moving in.  That may mean  a pot of chili !

Hope all is well and I have you all have  a great week .

Good luck with any appts  that any of you may have.

Janie

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Good morning everyone ~

Talk about a great catch up.  Nice job Margaret.  A little cool here this morning, but it's suppose to get up to near 80.  I'll take it!  By Wednesday it's going to struggle to get to 60.  Brrrrrrrr  Thanks for the Coffee.  These cooler mornings, it really tastes good.

I'm hoping I can get my car into the garage today.  My muffler is beginning to sound pretty bad.  Things are beginning to wear out on my little Civic, but after all, it is 10 years old.  This year so far I've replaced the brakes, the battery & now the muffler.  How many more parts are there on a car????

Gotta get to work.  Talk with you all later.  Enjoy your day.

Barb 

False

Good Morning Ladies,

Picked up Mr, Pickles yesterday, We went to this restaurant down town St. Charles abut 13 miles north of Aurora.

It was such a lovely day so we ate outside so Mr. Pickles could be with us, They allow dogs on the patio which is so nice and they bring small buckets of water for the dogs.

He slept all night with me but during the evening he didn't take his eyes off the front door, It takes a while but he will ajust. I have an appointment at 8.30 am tomorrow to get him clipped, I just didn't like the way they talked to the dogs and about the dogs owners when they weren't they. I am taking him to a place in North Aurora where Betty takes Sox, Then I will have breakfast with Betty while Mr. Pickles is getting all dressed up.

I will try to go back over the BB last week as I seemed to be behind again, It sounds like Carol had a freezer problem.

We are supposed to get severe thunderstorms this evening, One never knows this time of the year what to expect.

I saw House hunters had a nice show Janie on St. Johns island and they said you could see your island from a certain tip of the island. It all looks so amazing.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Hugs to all.

Ann

False

Hallo friends! 

We got our computer running late last night. I still can not believe it.We could have the web connection the first time my DH's friend was here.Our old modom was not bad,it was the AT&T tech support lady,who told us wrong steps to take to try to connect.Angry

I am so far behind with everything. I have to sent e-mails to all my former ladies I worked with,for our monthly lunch get-together.

My DD and her DH and baby are in Canada now. It is hard to adjust in a new country with a new baby and unpacking all the moving stuff. Also I had many relatives ,DD many friends in Germany,but she does not know anybody there.

How did I ever have time to go to work? I am overwhelmed with things,besides the computer . I have lots of Italian plums to turn into a cake and will I finally be able to make some plum dumplings this year? I made the famous tomato pie from Gaudrey, but it did not turn out right this time. I have the recipe with some of my notes on them,but I could not find it. It was always so delicious with my changes I did. How does Janie keep things straight,with also being in two different places every year? I know I did not take the recipe with my notes to Colorado. Where is it?Crying

It is raining here like crazy today.Storm.We still need the rain. 

I also supposed to have more blood work done and I am on a cleaning spree. I cleaned out the bottom of my kitchen pantry and our desk,but I have lots more to do.,like my refrigerator and my closet in the bath room.Big Smile

I leave you for today now. I have to read some posts from last week.

Hugs,Renate

False

Hi again ~

Well, my new gas grill just went into a new muffler for my car.  Tongue Tied  I was grateful when my mechanic called & said he could check it out & order parts today, then get me in on Wednesday.  I stopped after work, he took a look & said if I could wait for an hour, he could have it done.  I was so glad.  I have to go to Medina on Wednesday & didn't want to have to listen to that muffler all the way there.  It's about an hours drive from here, which means it's an hour coming back! 

Janie, I stopped this afternoon & picked up a couple of ears of corn.  They had baskets of tomatoes and I was so tempted to pick one up, but I just didn't know when I would get around to freezing them this week.  I'm hoping they will still have some after the weekend.  I was thinking of meatloaf too.  We haven't had it in a long time.  Saturday night I made some sausage, peppers, onions & garlic.  Boy was that ever good.  I still have a half of the peppers that I used left, so I may make it again this week & add in a little dreamfields this time.  I hope you had a wonderful time with Mr.'s dad.  A great accomplishment gettting to 90!  I'll bet he loved that cake!!!  I know someone else that would Confused.  Who me????  Nooooooooo

Wasn't that nice of those restrauant people to let you have Pickles outside & wonderful that the weather was good for it.  Yep, Carol had a big freezer problem...Roger left the door open & she cooked all day trying to save all the meat that she had.  Well, at least she won't have to cook for awhile.  Looks like we're going to get the weather you're suppose to have this evening.  They are calling for rain tomorrow, T-storms & falling temps.  Yuck! 

Oh dear, Renate, I'm glad you finally got your computer back on track.  We sure have come to rely on them these days, haven't we.  Well, at least your daughter & family are on this side of the ocean.  I'll bet she's glad and you too!  At least it's not so far away.  Far enough, but not as bad.  You'll find that recipe when you aren't even looking for it.  That's always the way with me!  Please don't talk about cleaning.  I've done next to nothing all summer long Sad.  Oh lord!

Last night's soup was fantastic & I have a lot left, but think I'll freeze the rest & take it with me up to camp this weekend.  I'm in charge of Friday night.  My sister sorta has the menus planned for the weekend.  Tonight I'm making Stuffed Gouda Chicken Breast w/ Bacon... new recipe.  It sounds good.  I'll let you know.  Have a relaxing evening.  Think I'll turn on the football game & see if I can get my Evanovich book finished. 

Barb

False

Hi All,

It was a long day and not much fun. Our Sam has crossed the Rainbow Bridge today. He took a turn for the worse yesterday so Jenny called to see if we would come out and take the kids away from the house while the vet would be there. So even though we love to spend time with the children it was still sad. We were in Wal Mart and Maggie saw a blanket with a lab on it and she said that's my Sam that's my dog and I couldn't help but wonder how she is going to be when she finds out she dearly loved him.

On the good side it was United Way day at McDonalds and they always have tons of people there to work and all the profit goes to the UW. I met the family that now owns our store they are all so much nicer than the last owner and I remember the father from when he was a partner when it was first built. You would not believe how many people come for either eat in or take out because of this and how much money they collect for UW.

I will try to do a catch up tomorrow. I need to go to bed.

Carol

False

Good morning! May I? Coffee

Carol- I'm so sorry to hear about dear Sam- he was a good loving companion, and I know how sad you are and how sad the kids will be...Broken Heart  It's the hardest, and the most loving thing a pet owner can do...sending hugs to you all...

Out early to do a little more archive work- then DDS this afternoon ( hope he says it all looks good! )then a theater board meeting tonight..

I will catch up a bit later- especially with Renate- who we are so happy to see again!

Waving and smiling..

M.

False

Hallo All ~  Angel  I just love it ~   M, I hope your appt goes well.  I didn't mention it but Mr's  arm is infected.  Dr put  him on Keflex for a week.  Doesn't surprise me as we have been doing much outside work.   That antibotic has horrible side effects. i was on that for my knee.  And I was glad to get rid of it.   Its  been since Wed and already it looks great!   Swelling is down and  the redness is gone.  Hard to imagine such a bothersome thing from such a fairly small  problem.  Sometimes it just  works that way.  

Any way we are done with the Dr's for a while.  I hope that when all of you are caught up with your currant ones.   You too wil be done with them  for  awhile.

Carol,  How sad sweetie.  Our pets  are real fighters  so when they are ready to move on  they simply do.  Its  never easy and it  one of the most heart wrenching  things.  Couldn't be any worse then losing a close one.  (((((hugs)))) sweetie.  God  Bless Sam. I hope he finds our Chase!   For some reason I have been thinking about her lately.  Must be our trip back to Croix. 

Barb,  Yhe meat loaf was wonderful ! I stuffed it with  roasted tomatoes.  I made up a batch of ( new recipe ) oven roasted tomatoes for all of the games  on the weekend.  I used a pint of grape tomatoes,  2 plum tomatoes  and  a handful of sun-dried tomatoes.  splashed with olive oil, and  added a whole unpeeld, top cut bulb of garlic.  sprinkled all of it with some basil and slow roasted it for about 45 minutes. uncovered at 325.  Then I took a potato masher and mashed them all up together.  Wow. I never tasted such a deep concentration of tomatoes.  and the color was wonderful.  the sun-dried i cut up into very small pieces.  ( they were packed in the oil type)   Excellant bruschetta.  MMMmmm . tonight I am thinking Scalloped  tomatoes.  one of my all time T&T's

Speaking of tomtoes  this weeks challenge is full of wonderful Recipes  for tomatoes.  it's  this weeks ingredient. ! Worth a look if ya have lots  sitting around.

Renate how great to see ya. We too had the same problem several times  with so called on the spot tech support ! Even had a problem with the geek squad.  they messed us up good ! And do not belive that commercial on Tv for computer help.  Its  a rip off.  The only thing free is the phone call that connect you to  a computer rep.  they charge 29.95 to go through your system!  Mr knows from personal expierence. Thye were very good at recrediting  our charge card.  I forget the name of the service,  but it is on the Tv everyday.   Same thing with Angies  List!  there is a fee for the actual company.  Big rip off's  being shown on Tv.  There should be better control over these false misleading claims.

I am thinking fish for din dn?? 

Drizzly here but very mild temps. 

Catch ya's  later

Janie Big Smile 

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

Hi-

Janie- I hope Mr's arm continues to heal quickly- without any RX side effects...you made me want meatloaf- and it's a pouring down rain day here, so it might be excellent! Your recipe sounds so good!

Barb- sorry your car needs $$ repairs...it's always something- then you have to figure out the long term decisions...repair..? Replace? New? Used?  Huh?

Well, my niece flew out last night to relocate with her boyfriend ( they're 27- it's not Katie!) out to Oregon...my brother and SIL are so sad...they'll be fine, but they've been so used to having their 3 kids ( all grown now) within a couple of hours away...or even closer...

Found a new author - the Robert Ludlum "Covert One" series- he writes with another author- the one I read was great, so I'm getting a few more...I have read Ludlum for years, but hadn't known of this series...

I'll be back a bit later...

M.

False

http://yourlighterside.com/candices-low-carb-zucchini-bread/#more-13945

M.

False

http://www.wgrz.com/money/consumer/AsSeenOn/article/181749/293/Ways-2-Save-Grill-Closeout-Prices-Drop-to-50

G m ladies,

Wish I had seen these posts about bbq grills  sooner.Don`t know what`s left of these deals now,

but if you like check out this site.

Rosie

False

Gm Rosie, And thanks Bunches  sweetie !!  Home Depo has a nice selection left if there are any in your area.

Lowes  too !  Wonder if Wallmart has any left !  Do these stores have layaway??  Might be a thought. 

Man the temps  are dropping by the hour. And the wind is picking up !  Skies are getting very cloudy and grey.  Not a good sign.

Do any of you gals  have Bluebirds?  Not Blue Jays  , 

Rosie and I have been talking about our Bluebirds  for years .  They are so beautiful.  Makes  one look twice! The Blue is striking and they have a redish color up towards their necks, with a with belly. 

Fish it is for din din ! Thanks M, it was good.  I too have read many of his books !  Its  been a while though.

Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

Hello All, Haven't heard from Jenna yet they were supposed to arrive at Paradice Island at 3pm. I took Mr. Pickles to be clipped today and I am a little upset because his lower inside right leg is almost bleeding, I didn't notice it when I picked him up. Any first aid suggestions. { Please } He is sleeping right now but has been trying to lick it a lot.

Very cool this morning here but the sun came out and it warmed up some.

So sorry to hear about Sam Carol, Bless his heart.

Been trying to decide what photo's to take of Myron tomorrow night, He didn't like having his picture taken but I do have some good ones.

Blessings to all,

Love,

Ann

False

Good morning, friends! May I? Coffee

Ann- I hope Mr. Pickles had a good night, and heals quickly from his grooming problem...I don't have any idea what to suggest....if he worries it too much, maybe your vet can recommend something...hope your meeting with your friends goes well- and I'm sure the picture will be great!  I hope Jenna's having a great time!

Renate- so happy to see you...and I know that new grandbaby is just wonderful! I hope your DD is getting a bit of rest!

Janie- hope Mr's arm is better each day..

Carol- I hope the kids will be OK with the news about Sam...so hard..

Rosie- thanks for your link- maybe Barb can find something that will work!

We had the most horrendous rains yesterday and last night...yup...had the board meeting at the theater and we were able to get the buckets placed where the roof drains overflowed...would have been such a mess otherwise...as it was, it reminded our guy he should have called someone to clean them out- a flat roof is a problem!

Busy all day today, and tomorrow Steve leaves for his canoe trip until Sunday...so Fester and I will have to keep each other company and do housework together..Wink

I'll be back later to visit..

Waving and sending hugs-

M.

False