Welcome to the PCH Kitchen- November 2012 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Welcome to the PCH Kitchen- November 2012

Last post Nov 30, 2012 10:11 PM by Deery . 37 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (38 items) 123
  • Welcome to the PCH Kitchen- November 2012

WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN

Good morning, so good to see you. We hope you'll find the warmth and the friendship here that we have been privileged to enjoy. We have a common bond. We are Physically Challenged Homemakers.

We share affection for one another through compassion, honesty, and most importantly, respect for one another and one another's situations.

We gather here to share information on ways to make our lives easier, to offer support to each other and to share humor and laughter, sometimes tears and always good food.

There is always room in the kitchen for all who would like to join in...So help yourself to a cup of coffee, cocoa, tea or fruit juice. There are always fresh fruit , muffins, coffee cake and cookies....pull up a chair at the old country table and visit awhile.....and remember to tell a friend.

For our old friends that have not been by for awhile, we hope you will drop in and let us know how you are doing.

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

• Re: Welcome to the PCH Kitchen- November 2012

These months keep rolling!

My mom is coming in town again today and we should go shopping a bit this afternoon, then she goes home. Her drive is an hour or two, and I don't drive, so she tries to make it here every few months. She wears hearing aids for a special hearing (the tones of voices aren't coming in right- she can hear sounds, like birds, cars, etc. just fine, but voices are a problem) and has misplaced them this week. They are not cheap, so they aren't something you want to lose. The only thing I don't really like is being a "translator" at stores all the time- telling her what the people say. I just keep believing that I won't have hearing problems at all.

Regular fall day out! I'll be baking more now that it's cool out.

Mary

False

My mom just brought a cornbread pan that makes cornsticks- the cast iron pan that has many little "corn cob" shapes that you pour the cornbread in. I have washed it, and now ready to season it- but I guess I'll look it up online how to correctly do this. I know you grease/oil it and bake it, but not sure exactly.

The weather was so nice yesterday- it made it to 68 degrees, and it was very calm. Today may be a bit cooler, only 60 degrees today, but nights still freeze.

Mary

False

I seasoned that corn bread pan in a 250 degree oven for a few hours. I looked at several sites, and they all said a different temperature, but the same process. The heat is what opens up the "pores" in the iron and the oil/grease gets in it and makes it "nonstick".  It said that the first time, the pan won't be black, but that comes over time.

It is rainy here this morning, not pouring, but it just keeps drizzling. The temp. here won't be over 50 degrees today because it is so cloudy.

Mary

False

Hi Mary, I forgot all about a new posting month for PCH Kitchen. I posting the following in Oct Room on Saturday.

Had lab on Thursday. Platelets count is up good. Med down to 1/2 tablet a day. Good to know my body can still make platelets. Last 2 labs veins in lower arms and hands stayed hidden. For the first time ever they drew blood from above inner elbow. Never thought a vein could be found there.

I thought we would get some sun today but I didn't see any. High 58 degrees.

Mary, those black iron pans last forever, but they are heavy. I used frying pan for cooking over campfire.

Wishing all a good week.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

Deery: your weather sounds like here. It just won't let the sun come through clouds! The forecast says today will be partly cloudy, but haven't seen the sun yet. Glad your medicine is down! I'm getting tired of taking medicine for over 30 years!

My husband is out-of-town on business for a night or two, so I'll make meatloaf in the crock pot tonight (just for my son and me). It will have a taco flavoring with Nacho Cheese Soup.

I got out to vote at 6 a.m. when they opened because my son had to be at work at 7, and my husband needed to leave town early. There were already 10 people in line there. Glad to vote for this country!

Mary

False

It did get sunny during the afternoon yesterday, but today is just a bit cloudy, "wisping by", so there is lots of sun.

I make bread crumbs by taking the heels of the bread and putting them in my hand food processor (electric is fine too), then when it is crumbs, I put them in little sandwich baggies and put those in a freezer bag. Whenever I make meatloaf, or a dish that needs cracker/bread crumbs, I just take out a "baggie" from the freezer. This is very convenient. Thought I should pass this tip along.

Mary

False

My mom is ordering a Thanksgiving dinner from a grocery store in her city and bringing it here Thanksgiving Day. The turkey will need to be warmed for about 2 hours. She is bringing 4 side dishes with it, and making some cranberry/pineapple salad. I thought I'd make one of those pumpkin cake rolls, here on the site. I made it last year for a group, but I thought this time I'd make it for us. I found tips on how to make it better, in the kitchen chat room.

Very mild weather today! A cold front is coming through on Sunday though. It is like spring weather, so I washed couch covers and put them outside to dry (they are crocheted, so I really don't want to put them in the dryer).

Mary

False

Hi Mary, that sounds great to get the Thanksgiving meal mostly prepared. My brother in law did that one year when we had Christmas eve dinner with them one year.  Daughter and son in law have had Thanksgiving at their house since they got married. (26 years) Both my boys came when they were single. Now it is harder for them to get time off to come at Thanksgiving.

It got down to 32 degrees last night. In the 40 temps today. My platelet count continues on up and down roller coaster. I have been waiting all day for dr office to call to see if I have to change med dosage. Guess everything stays the same if I don't hear from them.

Family took the kittens into cat shelter 2 or 3 weeks ago. Son in law saw them up for adoption on their web site. But it cost $80 to adopt. But they are now fixed and have their shots. Son in law forgot to close the garage door last night and the neighbors mama cat carried her new litter (4) one by one into the garage. They are around 4 weeks old. Now family will get attached to them. But they will get an early start of making them friendly before they get too wild.

Wishing all a nice weekend.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

I haven't had Thanksgiving here with others besides my family of 4, very much. We have been married 26 years now, and sometimes we have gone to my in-laws, or sometimes I just fix a turkey myself. It's nice not to have the bother with the turkey- even though it tastes good.

Deery: if the doctor office doesn't call, you probably are right, in that everything is the same.

It is like another spring 70's day today, but tomorrow is when the cold front comes through, and is supposed to drop 20 degrees after the rain, and freezing temps. at night.

Mary

False

It drop 20 degrees yesterday. The rain started around 11:00, then just got windy, slow steady rain and cold. It was 24 degrees this morning around 6:30. Today it may get to 46 degrees, and around 50 tomorrow.

My mom is coming here next Friday, since my birthday is on Saturday, and she wants to be here since she was at my brother's birthday in Sept.- since she had just 2 kids, she likes to celebrate our birthdays.

Hope more people chat this month!

Mary

False

For months, I would get on this chat, and there would be new messages every day. Where is everyone? I just want to chat with people, because I'm home, alone, with no one to talk to- so the computer chat rooms work out.

Have a nice day.

Mary

False

Hi Mary, know what you mean about wanting to chat with someone. I am the same here. Just been too fatigued to have much to say. Went for labs this morning. Platelets are up a little. Good, good, good! Protime was a little out of range high.  Totally grey day out. But dry.

I think many of our ladies get too busy in fb and forget to stop by the Kitchen. Sad  Or it just gets too frustrating to load TOH page. Or holidays get too busy. Many reasons.

Waving to everyone. Wishing all a nice rest of week.

Hugs, Deery

False

Hi Deery: glad you are here to chat. I get on Facebook and look every few hours, but I never forget to get on here because there is so much info. to get here- and I get to chat! Glad you are doing good with the platelet count.

I made that venison jerky on Tuesday and used a pepperoni flavored jerky seasoning, so it's peppery, but very lean. That is much better for you than beef. I'll try venison instead of beef in a Shepherd's Pie recipe tonight.

I put out those roach bait traps (the ones where they take the poison food back to their "nest" and it kills all of them), and I haven't seen as many bugs lately. Maybe they work!

I see a handful of fruit flies (gnats) around, but they aren't really a bother, unless they get in your face. I guess they are around because I have many houseplants.

My parents should be coming here on Saturday to take me to lunch because it will be my birthday. I always feel like a little "getting out" is so exciting- but my husband can't wait to get home and be inside all the time, because he's out and about all day- this is not easy- I want to get out, and he wants to stay in.

Thanks for chatting!

Mary

False

Beautiful sunshine here and 46 degrees. Maybe some sunshine tomorrow and then rain expected for a week. Did a load of laundry.

Mary, always nice to get out for a birthday lunch. Never had venison to cook myself but my father usually got a deer every year growing up.

Wishing all a good day.

Hugs, Deery

False