Daily Low Carb Chat Week of Nov. 12-18 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Daily Low Carb Chat Week of Nov. 12-18

Last post Nov 18, 2012 9:02 PM by sauregurke . 60 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 5 (61 items) 12345
  • Daily Low Carb Chat Week of Nov. 12-18

Good morning! May I? Coffee

I hope most of you are able to enjoy a day off today in honor of Veterans' Day...thanks to all our vets!

Connie- I hope your procedure goes well today- and do hope your Mom's situation can be easily cleared up...sendig hugs..

I do owe a huge catch up...and promise to have that in my next post..

We had a great show yesterday ( only 1 weekend left...!) and a lovely dinner out with friends...

Speaking of "out"...here's Fester...

Waving and sending hugs...back in a bit..

Margaret

False
  • Re: Daily Low Carb Chat Week of Nov. 12-18

Gm All, 

We have had some lovely showers come through. Badly needed.  And they have come in spurts  so that the rain does not just run off.  It has time to soak in.  When it rains  to hard the water just runs off robbing everyone.

Reminds me of our warm spring showers.

Good luck today Connie with your procedure.  It's amazing how long the prep takes  and  before you know it the procedure is done. I hope that the prep for this procedure has gotten easier.  I hated the liquid stuff, but I gotta tell ya the Pills would gag a horse.

The Birdies  seem to be settled in. They seem to be a funny little couple as I snuck peeks at them all through out the day. Their friendly little chirp makes the house sound jungle like ~ lol

I never realized how early birds bed down. The outside birds started peeping before 6.  These little guys  have  their own time table.  They are now fully awake. They came with no names so I've decided to name them  Fred & Ethel. We had a pair of rabbits  when the kids were young that  I named Ozzie and Harriet.  Never realized that rabbits  can make nice pets. Going to buy them some toys  today and they have a  high energy level and can get bored very fast. They love mirros. Think I'll leave the bells and jungles  alone!!  lol But there are other toys I can get for them. Poor kids have no toys  at all.

Turkey time will soon be upon us. I am going to volunteer for Christmas dinner this year.  I've done Thanksgiving for 3 years  now and I like a switch  off. We shall see.

M, Glad the play went well and dinner out is always  a good time.

Going to try to do a veggie week. Our scallops  were horrible so no more of that till we get back home. One does not even see them on menus.  Much like Crab meat. I have only seen crab cakes  once. And I suspect it's  the canned stuff. One thing that a few higher end restaurants  offer down here is  Duck fat fries  and  Truffled potato chips. the chips  Are good the  fries  cetainly not worth the price.

Errands and more errans.  Laundry and more laundry.  That's kind of what my day looks like.

Hope yours  is better.

Janie  

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Good morning to all!

I am leaving for my colonoscopy in a little over one hour.  The prep is done and now I just have the procedure itself.  The prep was more annoying than anything else. 

My mom should be meeting with her regular doctor today and getting her meds changed.  It is so hard to see her not feeling well.  Her entire life she has been such a vibrant healthy woman, never sick or bothered with anything.  I find it heartbreaking to see her looking weak and so vulnerable. 

Will check in with everyone later today.  Have a nice Monday!

False

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."

Morning Connie, Sorry to hear that your Mom is not feeling well. Meds do play a huge roll in how we feel.  Many side affects can be bothersome.  Some can be on the serious side.

My poor husband suffers on occasion for tingling and  itching  that drives him crazy.  He calls it Flushing.  

Stay well

Janie  

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Good morning everybody ~

Well, it's a rare one, but there's nobody in the office this morning except me & you!  I'm sure it won't be for long, but I'll take what I can get.

Margaret, Fester must have heard you type the word "out".  I swear these animals are getting smarter every day!  I'm not one of those ones that are able to have the day off today, but in my mind, it's the veterans that have earned the day off, not the school kids or government employees or anyone else that wasn't in the service.  There shouldn't be any places toting "Veteran's Day sales" or people going to them either!  OK, I'm climbing off the soap box now.  Sorry Zip it!  Anyway, I'm glad the show is going so well and you that you had a nice dinner with your friends.  One more mild day here for us.  How about you?

Janie, I love the names you gave the birds.  Those two are going to feel like they died & went to heaven living with you.  Do you know how old they are?  Hard to imagine them not having names.  I can't believe that Thanksgiving is a week from Thursday.  How did it creep up on me so fast anyway?  I'm going to scoot over to Tops after work this afternoon & see if I can get some turkey wings so I can do the make ahead gravy.  I made it one year and not only was it delicious, but such a time saver too.  That's too bad about your scallops.  Boy, the frozen ones that I get are delicious. 

Good luck with your procedure, Connie.  I'll bet you'll be glad when that's over with.  I'm sorry to hear that your mom is not feeling well.  Hopefully the doctor will be able to adjust her meds. and then she'll be right back to being herself again.

I sure hope that Tops has those turkey wings.  If not maybe Wegman's has them.  Did I tell you that Michelle has added on Eric's mom, dad & two brothers to the list?  It was either that or she would have been entertaining them.  She has school with exams and papers due right up to the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and I could see that she was beginning to panic just thinking about it.  So what's 4 more people anyway????? Confused  I just need to find a place for everybody to sit down.  We're having the cheesy egg casserole for dinner tonight.  I'm not sure what else.  Maybe some mushrooms on the side.  Joe started the raking yesterday so I'll see if I can finish it up this afternoon.  This is the time of year I would like to cut down every tree in our yard! 

Off to get something done around here.  Enjoy your day.

Barb

False

Good Morning and happy veterans day, { Yesterday } Myron and I would be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary today. Had my crying jag early this morning and I plan on a quiet day reading.

My friends did the wrapping of the sun room yesterday, It's unreal how warm it is for such a thin piece of plastic.

I have a small electric heater for when it get's really cold.

Margaret, Happy Veterans to you also, I wanted to say that I am so confused about all these org. that keep calling for donations to be honest I don't know which one's are ligit. I told the national VFW caller that I had already given to the local VFW and he blasted the org. telling me I need to support the national posts.

I also donate to the Salvation Arm and the local Mission and the Food pantry, It never fails that within a week of sending off my donation I get another request for more money.

I am on the do not call list, I would venture to guess that I get 4 calls a day and some are really rude people when I tell them I can't donate at this time. Of course I send a nice donation to the Viet Nam Veterans since Myron served in that war.

Janie, Love the name of the birds. Too cute,

Glad you had a nice steady rain wish I was there enjoying some nice weather, It's very cold here in Aurora today but they say it may warm up a little later in the week.

Connie,Good luck sweetie today I think the worsed is over now that the clean out is over. Hope you mom begins to feels better really soon.

Barb, Well enjoy the quiet office for as long as you can . I know what you mean about the tree's it's a never ending clean up.

Boy you are such a great gal adding four more people to your table, That's an extra card table which I have if you need it. LOL

Well need a shower and find that book.

Hugs to all,

Ann

False

Hi-

Well, getting a lot done...thought I'd pop in for a minute-

Ann..sending extra hugs to you today...I imagine it'll be a tough upcoming season for you... and I sure know what you mean about the phone solicitations- too many.I always say " I can't do anything now, but I do thank you for calling"...if they are rude..shame on them...we all have a limited amount to support the organizations we choose to support...the phone people get paid to call ( usually) and frequently  very little of the money one gives goes to the organization...I usually check out www.charitynavigator.org for reviews...

Barb- mild here..but not for long, I fear...Steve is out playing golf, so that's great! Hey- set a couple of extra places for us and we won't have to go to Raleigh...not looking forward to that, TBH...

Connie- hope you're resting comfortably...

Janie- I love that you have the birds...no one could love them more...lucky birds!

I'll check back in later..

M.

False

Good morning again.  Got back from my colonoscopy 2 hours ago.  After a nap and bit of lunch I am feeling fabulous.  the doctor did find one polyp and I will have the test results for that on Friday.  Praying for good results. 

My mom has already been to her doctor and the pharmacy and is on her new meds.  I hope she feels better soon.

Ann- I am sending you a comforting hug.  My father has been gone for 16 years and some days are hard for my mom.  November 5th would have been their 61st anniversary.  She shed some tears too. 

We had some snowflakes here today.  How about you?

Janie- Bless you for taking those birds.  Love their names.  One of our teachers always has two hamsters as class pets and they are always named Bert and Ernie. 

Well, I'm going to treat myself to a nice cup of tea and good book.  Enjoy the day!

False

Good afternoon!

Connie I am sure you are glad to have it over with! Sending you good thoughts for your results! :)

I had a colonoscopy 2 years ago (I had a bout with colitis) but the test itself wasn't that bad IMO. Like you said..just annoying. lol

Not much going on here...cold, windy and a few snowflakes this morning! Unfortuantly I slept through the snow.

:( I love to watch it snow.

My dh works 3rd shift, and I stayed up all night, so just now getting up and around...need to figure out what to fix for supper!

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

Hi again ~

Ann, I'm so sorry this was such a sad day for you.  This first year is a killer, isn't it?  I'm still trying to pack up Mom's clothes & I swear it's harder now.  I should have done it right away, I think.  I hope you're still going to your support group.  It really does help.  I hope you had a quiet, relaxing day.  What are you reading?  I'm reading Mauve Binchy's "The Glass Lake".  It's really good.  A friend of mine at camp loaned it to me.  I love Mauve's books.  Michelle & Eric wrap their windows too.  They face west & the wind seems to blow constantly.  It really does help.  Listen, once you donate to an org., I swear they pass your name around.  I only donate to local ones.  That way, I'm sure I know where the money is going.  Hey, bring the card table & yourself with it.  What's one more??? 

Margaret, there have been people out on the golf course here for the last 2 days.  What beautiful weather for November, but that's going to chance tonight.   If you've got another card table, come on over!  What's two more????

Noooooo Connie.  Keep those snowflakes.  Glad you're home, comfortable and the procedure is over.  Are you going to school tomorrow?  Heck of a way to spend a day off of school.  And what are you reading?  Have you read Steven King's "11/22/63"?  It very good & I'm not a SK fan.

Hey Jill.  As soon as we get some snow, I'll be sure to send it to you so you can watch it.  I don't mind a little snow on the ground for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I don't even mind it in January so much, but after that, get rid of it!!!  Where do you live in this beautiful country of ours?  I'm about 25 mi. southwest of Rochester, NY in the small village of Caledonia, where, just like "Cheers", everybody knows your name. 

I finished the rest of the leaves this afternoon & had a guy that I know come over & clean out the eve troughs.  It sure got dark fast.  At 5:15, it was pitch black, but this morning there was the most beautiful sunrise.  We probably won't get that tomorrow.  We're suppose to get rain tonight & falling temps. 

See you all tomorrow.  Enjoy the evening.

Barb

False

Good evening friends.  I've been nice and cozy all day, but know that it is really chilly outside.  I've got to say that I will enjoy my flannel sheets tonight!

Barb- I love books by Maeve Binchy and have read many of them.  Right now I am starting a book by Jodi Picoult called Handle With Care.  I haven't read any Stephen King books, but I would be willing to give the one you recommended a try. 

I actually enjoyed my afternoon at home and got quite a few little tasks accomplished.  Tomorrow it's back to the real world.

Hope everyone enjoys the evening.

False

Good Evening Friends,

Thank you all for your love and concern I would give anything to have my honey here with me now but know he is in a better place and out of pain.

Margaret, Thanks for the link I will check that out I just can't get over all the calls, Barb said she gives locally so I think that's what I will do other than St. Jude and Myron favorite Childrens cancer center in Colorado.

Connie, So pleased all went well today and glad to hear your mom is on new meds and okay. Thanks for the hugs. My mom and dad's anniversary was also Nov. 5th it's also Guy Fawkes day in England.

Jill, I used to stay up all night when Myron worked nights, Of course it made it hard when I was still working.

Barb, I know that you must be having a hard time going through your mom's things I am still doing it and it doesn't get any better.

I am reading " Barbara Taylor Bradford's Unexpected Blessings " It's part of a series.

My support group finished 2 weeks ago it was only 6 weeks, I have signed up for the holiday season meetings because I feel I still need to talk about my feelings with people who have been there.

I go tomorrow for the Life Screening I mentioned before so I will talk later tomorrow.

Hugs to all.

Ann

False

We live in southern Indiana...about 1 hour from the Indiana/Kentucky line...when we go places, we usually head south instead of north.  Dh likes to play bluegrass music, so we go to KY and TN quite often, especially in the summer time. Things have slowed down now that cold weather has come. Not as many bluegrass festivals in the winter! lol

Right now I am not working...just staying home being a homemaker. :) I was babysitting for a little girl; had her about 3 years, now she has started school this year, so I am going to be looking for something new to do.  I am waiting till the New Year to start looking tho...

False

my blog! www.jillshomecooking.blogspot.com

Been a big fan of TOH since I was a young teenager!!! I was sooooo excited to be asked to become a Volunteer Field Editor in June 2013!!

Good morning! May I? Coffee  Fester was in rare form...very pushy...so I got up...here we are- he's back asleep and I'm up for the day..Tongue Tied

Jill- we have 2 other friends- Mary and Pam- also from Indiana...they pop in here sometimes when they can..glad you helped that little girl off to such a good start! Yes

Connie- I know you'll be relieved when you get a good report from your Dr...I think- as you now know- the prep is much "worse" than the procedure...and if others knew, they'd not be so reluctant to have it done...very important test..hope you have a good day at school!

Barb-  I see you've sent the rain along..Umbrella  brrr...I 'm sorry I am only now remembering it was a year ago the end of October for your Mom...Broken Heart  Extra hugs...

Janie- tweet tweet! Paradise  Love the names! I did love the Mertzs!

I'll be back a bit later- dropping Steve's car off for a checkup, then off to a meeting...

Waving, smiling, sending hugs and holding an umbrella...Wink

M.

False

While I'm sitting here, I'm deleting some of the huge list of "favorites"...came across this...wrong holiday, but good info!

http://www.christmas-cookies.com/recipes/lowcarb.html

False