Special Meal for Christmas Gathering | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Special Meal for Christmas Gathering

Last post Nov 16, 2012 4:18 PM by annrms . 8 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
  • Special Meal for Christmas Gathering

I am in charge of a gathering of approximately 85 people for a Christmas gathering.  I would like an idea that all would share the making of. 

I have ruled out barbecued pork, lasagna, phiily steak sandwiches, and need a fresh idea.  Can anyone help me. 

I will serve Christmas cookie goodies and have eggnog and a punch, but I am at a loss of main course.

It will involve children of all ages also.

Thank you for your help.

False
  • Re: Special Meal for Christmas Gathering

First off, are u the only one going to be doing any cooking? Is anyone else bringing any side dishes or covered dishes?

False

My only idea, and not sure how great it is, is for a baked potato, salad and soup bar. It sounds to me like everyone will be helping to  get the meal prepared. Doing a vegetable soup would involve lots of chopping, same with salad. You could make make special toppings for the potatoes like chili, bbq beef, or chicken in a creamy sauce, and don't forget the broccoli & cheese! Good luck, whatever you decide on.

False

I would do a ham, mushroom meatballs, mashed or scalloped potatoes, a simple lettuce salad or coleslaw and a veggie like kernel corn.  Of course rolls, pickles etc. Just an idea. Karen

False
    To everything there is a Time, Season and Purpose

Okay! When it comes to Holiday meals. Most people know they are going to get a nice meal. Or get tired of so many Holiday functions with the same meal served at every one.

I would suggest you reconsider the lasgna. You could make several trays of them ahead of time and freeze them. To help with the meal preparation.

Here are a few holiday meals of functions I have been too.

Hotdogs, chips, and cookies --yes! Seems off! But it was intended for children and family.

Beef (like you would find at a high class restaurant, sliced thinly), mash potatoes or parsley potatoes, green beans, applesauce or tossed salad. Dessert table.

Stuff chicken, mash potatoes, gravy, corn, green beans, coleslaw, applesauce, and a dessert table.

Turkey, stuffing, mash potatoes, corn, green beans, coleslaw, applesauce, and a dessert table.

Lunch meat layered sandwhiches, potato salad, pasta salad, soup, chips, dips, and crackers, and dessert table. 

False

Is the location a church or a community center that has a kitchen, or does all the food have to be brought in? Is it going to be buffet or served?

One thing I haven't seen suggested yet is Mexican. If it's buffet you could do a build your own taco bar. There could also be some black bean and corn salads, fresh fruit, and maybe churros or flan for desert.

False
    Tacos's bar is a great idea for a bunch of people. I also bumped up a recipe in. Main Recipes forum on here. For Italian beef sandwiches. I make this every Christmas Eve, per request. Both kids and adults love it. I use small hard rolls and everyone makes their own sandwich. Not overly spicy, just great flavor. I make it ahead of time and just thaw out ahead of time and then reheat in crockpot. it is one of the easiest recipes to do on a Holiday. I got the recipe from a real good cook, an Italian lady I used to work with. Italian Beef Sandwiches and just the regular sides for a nice buffet. Both adults and kids like it. Scoop what they want out, and I put a spoon to scoop up the juices if they want.
    False

I like the idea of a taco bar, but I would also suggest make your own taco salads.  John Woverine's recipe for taco salad is easy and oh so good!

False

Goodness!  I have never cooked for 85 people w/o a team of helpers!  I went to an open house over Christmas one year, and the hostess had "stations" all around the house.  She used hot trays and crockpots to keep things warm.  She has stuff plugged into electrical strips.  People brought dishes, warming apparati, serving utensils and plates/cups/plastic forks, etc., and strips.  They took home leftovers and dirty dishes.

Here are some of the things I remember (She had lots of help.)

• Roasted vegetable ratatouille with multi-grain "rice" medley...this went fast!
    • Franks and beans with a piccalilli relish
    • Meatballs (several kinds)...Italian, Swedish, Marmalade
    • Rye bread and deli meats and cheese
    • Baked pasta...lasagna, mac & cheese
    • Chop suey and fried rice
    • Minestrone and bread sticks
    • Clam chowder and chowder crackers
    • German potato salad and kielbasa
    • Pepperidge Farm casserole (old recipe on Internet)
    • Jellied salad
    • Chopped salad (no lettuce) with Italian dressing
    • Cole slaw
    • Marinated mushrooms
    • Chicken wings/nuggets
    • Baked potato bar
    • Taco bar
    • Taco bean pies with sour cream salsa topping
    • BBQ pulled pork, rolls, and Cole slaw
    • Salsa, guacamole, refried bean layered dip with Scoops
    • Cheese tray with grapes
    • Liver pate and French bread
    • Cookies, bars, and fudge
    • BYOB in a cooler, if desired.
    • Each guest who brought something (and that was almost everyone) made a sign to say what their dish was and they listed the main ingredients.
    False

AnnStar