Welcome to the PCH Kitchen Chat- December 2012 | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Welcome to the PCH Kitchen Chat- December 2012

Last post Dec 29, 2012 3:20 PM by Deery . 33 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 123
  • Welcome to the PCH Kitchen Chat- December 2012

WELCOME TO THE PCH KITCHEN

Good morning, so good to see you. We hope you'll find the warmth and the friendship here that we have been privileged to enjoy. We have a common bond. We are Physically Challenged Homemakers.

We share affection for one another through compassion, honesty, and most importantly, respect for one another and one another's situations.

We gather here to share information on ways to make our lives easier, to offer support to each other and to share humor and laughter, sometimes tears and always good food.

There is always room in the kitchen for all who would like to join in...So help yourself to a cup of coffee, cocoa, tea or fruit juice. There are always fresh fruit , muffins, coffee cake and cookies....pull up a chair at the old country table and visit awhile.....and remember to tell a friend.

For our old friends that have not been by for awhile, we hope you will drop in and let us know how you are doing.

False

Keep Smilin'! A good laugh- for any reason- will do anyone good!

• Re: Welcome to the PCH Kitchen Chat- December 2012

Another month again! This year has just flown by!

Everyone around here can't believe it's December because the weather is so warm! It was 73 degrees yesterday, and predicted at 71 today. We put away our short sleeve shirts and shorts until spring, but now we need them! December used to be cold. We'll take mild weather, though!

I found an easy recipe to use Oreo cookies- just coat the top of the mint ones with a powdered sugar/water glaze and sprinkle colored sugars, or shapes on them. Just let them sit until set, and you've got great cookies, with no baking!

Mary

False

Hi Mary, thanks for opening the Kitchen. I am hoping next year will go slower. This year I can hardly keep up. Wet weather continues. Rain on and off. I could use a little warmth. Have 2 long sleeve layers and my fleese vest and not even real winter cold yet. Had the grandkitty come in for a snack this morning to warm up but she doesn't like to stay in for long.

Giving a Wave and Wishing all a nice week.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

I was just getting on yesterday and I thought that it was a new month, so I started one. These months are just "speeding by".

Since my sons are in their 20's, they loved the decorated Oreo's. It took a little time to coat each one and sprinkle colored sparkles on each one, but it was much less time than baking them.

It may only be 61 degrees today, so it's getting back into cooler temps. We had a bit of rain last night, but not for very long.

The kitty outside is still around. She sits on our deck for hours of the day, and at night, if your windows are open, she jumps onto our screens! Her weight can take those screens out, if she stays hanging for very long. I don't want to see her get hurt either. She is sitting on one of the wood rails on the deck now. She likes getting attention from us, when we come out.

Mary

False

Scattered showers expected but so far there is lovely sunshine. 40 degrees outside. House feels chilly today.

Sunshine, wonderful sunshine. Enjoy the day.

Hugs, Deery

False

As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. Psalm 42:1

It is in the 50's here, but it was in the 30's before sun was up this morning. It should be the same through the weekend, but a cold front is coming through by Monday.

I want to get these Christmas gifts finished so I can work on things for myself- I really want to make some purple and black bead earrings (with seed beads). It will take a long time, to thread hundreds of beads, but sure is cheaper than buying some.

I found a recipe on this site about a holiday cheesecake, so I'm going to make it in my crock pot. It is a regular cheesecake with holiday candies on top (a bit of a topping on it too). I find that the slow cooker is the best way to make cheesecakes- they turn out perfect every time. (There is a picture of that cheesecake in an ad on this page about Christmas Guide now- I may "downsize" the amount though.)

Mary

False

We have been unseasonably warm here too plus rain. Vickie (dutchmom) called the other day because she had heard we in the N.W. had had 24 inches of rain. It was on the news in Michigan. I think someone was drinking too much eggnog because we certainly have not had even five inches. Maybe large amounts in southern Oregon because Calif. has had an awful time with flooding but not here in Wa.

I cannot come up with an idea for DH for Christmas. Pulling my hair out and time is awasting. Can you believe Thanksgiving was two weeks ago tomorrow? I have no enthusiasm for Christmas this year.

False

Temperature is staying in the 50's during the day this week.

A nursery says we still are in a "drought" (midwest) because of all the rain we didn't have during the summer, and the trees & bushes need rain in the soil before it freezes hard. I don't have any fruit trees, so this is not a big problem for me, but I can see farmers of certain fruits having a hard time this winter because next year won't yield a good crop of fruit if their trees didn't have enough water this winter/fall.

Bye for now!

Mary

False

Liz: that is a good recipe for non-alcoholic egg nog, but my cholesterol is a bit high, so all the fat from the cream, milk and eggs, may not be good for someone with cholesterol levels that are up.

It's cloudy here, but maybe some sun in the afternoon.

Bye for now!

Mary

False

Another cold front went through last night, so it's in the 20's this morning, supposed to reach 33 today. We aren't predicted to get snow until later in December here (the southern part of the state is getting some snow, but isn't all over).

The Christmas lights everywhere are so pretty. I love the trees with lights that change color. The downtown district is really decorated again, so close to the University, where students can see.

Mary

False

Saturday evening I went with family to Community Christmas Concert. Granddaugher and another girl danced on point to a song from the Nutcracker. And 3 other classes from Dance Studio danced. A young girl played the harp. Beautiful music. Not as much intertainment this year because of all the activities. going on. A gentleman gathers the children up front to read Visit from St Nick story. Then we all sang Christmas Songs. Last song was Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Then in comes Santa. He gathers the children around the tree and gives each a small wooden vehicle a man makes all year.

Wishing all a good week.

Hugs, Deery

False

Hip hip hooray I got two gifts bought today and one was half price which I didn't know until I got to the register to pay.Will send my DD a check tomorrow and she is going to buy the glifts for my two DGDs as they have a lot of clothes, ect on their lists which I may get sizes that don't fit. Then everything has to be  mailed back to me to exchange so this way I don't need to mail anything and it will all be right. Was thinking of a gift card as a last resort but then they have no gifts to unwrap and that's the fun. My other DGD loves Coldstone Creamery so her mother said to get her a gift card which I'll pick up tomorrow. Will be down to two gifts to buy after all that. Now all I need are some ideas....that's the hardest part.

Ham for Christmas dinner but haven't decided whether to get the Black Forest from Costco which is boneless or a shank half from the grocery store which does have a bone. The bone one is good for bean soup but the Costco one tastes good and is so easy to slice. Will have to price it and see how expensive it is this year. Next year, no cooking on Thanksgiving....eating out. I quit.  

Would like to make some candy....lots of good sounding recipes on Sue's 25 days of candy thread but the humidity is too high for candy making. Been raining off and on for a week and a half.

We are going up to Canada soon for three days. Haven't gotten away for ages so looking forward to it.

False

It was cold last night- my husband was out-of-town, so I didn't have his heat in the bed with me. My face was so cold at first, until I warmed up. It got down to 19 degrees. It may get up to 44 degrees today because there's sun outside.

When my sons ask me what I want to for Christmas gift or birthday gift, I usually say a gift card because then I can get what I want, and there's no problem. I know kids like to open gifts, but I'm not bothered by that.

I made that peppermint ribbon cake (in the peppermint recipes on this page) yesterday. I made it last year too. It is so easy because it starts with a box white cake mix (no yolks, so down on cholesterol!) and you mix a cup of the batter with red food color and peppermint extract, then pour some batter in a bundt pan, then the red batter, then more white batter. Bake, then ice with powdered sugar and milk and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies or candy canes. Sure is good.

Mary

False

Hi Mary and Liz and rest of PCH Kitchen Gals. Went to Hematologist today in Portland. Platelet count is finally raised after going down Last three weeks. That is good news. I can now go for labs every other week and recheck with him in 2 months.

Liz, glad you and Duane will be able to get away for a few days. Enjoy.

Mary, I have a square small pillow with feed corn in it to warm up in microwave. It can be used for aches and pains or for warming up yourself or your bed. Also have a neck one. I have been using it to put against my back on top of covers so cold air cannot get in.

Wishing all a nice rest of week.

Hugs, Deery

False

Still raining off and on so no candy making yet. I saw a non cook recipe on the Food Network's `12 days of candy/cookies for coconut balls with melted chocolate. Might give that a try if I have time. Not home much this week because of committee obligations here where we live plus at the church. Today we wrapped gifts for 13 children, all who have parents who are in jail. An organization called Angel Tree is the sponcer. They give you the names and their wish lists and you shop for the kids, wrap the gifts and we have a party for them. Now I don't know if the party is mandatory or not or if all you might choose to do is contribute. But at the party they will hear the gospel.....a captive audience so to speak....so it is a good outreach. We will be in Canada then so volunteered to wrap instead. Each child had about $100 spent on them and lots of gifts each.

Need to finish up Christmas shopping tomorrow. Have two gifts to get and no ideas.  Confused One of them is Duane. Cabela's here I come. Have another commitment tomorrow at ten here at the complex and then I'm gone. Hate shopping so I'd rather take a dose of poison. It's Duane's night to cook so I don't have to hurry home.

False