Brown Derby Cake Recipe | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Brown Derby Cake Recipe

Last post Aug 09, 2004 7:25 AM by KY_Kate . 4 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
  • Brown Derby Cake Recipe
    Hello. I'm wondering if anyone out there would have a recipe for a cake that is called a Brown Derby. Not exactly sure what goes in it, but I know it has two layers of chocolate cake, with white icing and chocolate sprinkles on top. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks
    False
  • RE: Brown Derby Cake Recipe
    I tried finding it but the only place that had it wants my credit card info.
    False
    I found this doing a search. This may not be what you are wanting.

Brown Derby Cake
    For the cake:
    1-2 packages devil's food cake mix or your favorite "scratch' dark chocolate cake mix.

DIRECTIONS: How much cake mix you need depends upon the size of the container you are going to bake it in. The top of the "derby" is baked in a metal mixing bowl that has a round bottom. The base of the hat is made by baking one layer in a round cake pan. Be sure to grease and flour pans well, then follow baking directions on cake mix. All both cakes to cool slightly before carefully removing them from the pans and allow them to finish cooling on wire racks. You may want to bake the two cakes separately, because the one-layer cake will bake much more quickly than the cake baked in the bowl.

For the filling:
    2 egg whites
    1/4 cup sugar, sifted
    1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
    1/2 cup milk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 pint whipping cream
    1 cup fresh, washed blueberries
    1 cup sliced strawberries, drained
    1 cup other fruit, such as raspberries or thinly sliced peaches, drained

DIRECTIONS: While the cakes are baking, beat the egg whites until stiff, add the sugar slowly and mix well. Soften the gelatin in milk and place on very low heat for a few minutes until gelatin is thoroughly dissolved. Cook gelatin and milk mixture a little, and pour this over the egg whites and sugar mixture, mixing well. Add vanilla. Allow to cool to just warm, then fold in the fruits. Lastly, fold in the cream, which has been whipped until it forms stiff peaks.

For the frosting:
    2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 cups extra fine cane sugar (not powdered sugar)
    1 1/2 cup milk
    2 pats butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS: Thoroughly combine dry ingredients in a heavy 4 quart saucepan. Stir in milk. Boil without stirring to soft boil stage. Add butter. Remove from heat. Beat until it has cooled a bit and add vanilla.

Use icing while it is still warm and easy to spread.

False
    con't...

TO ASSEMBLE CAKE: Carefully hollow out the top of the derby cake, starting from the flat end and leave about 2 inches of cake all the way around. Fill the inside with the fruit and cream filling. And place it on top of the flat cake layer.

Ice the entire cake with chocolate frosting and refrigerate for several hours or overnight to "set." You can decorate your "derby" when the icing has hardened, by adding a hat band of real ribbon or made from colored frosting.

False
    bump
    False