R&R * Biscuits, Sausage & Gravy Casserole ~ Delicious* | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

R&R * Biscuits, Sausage & Gravy Casserole ~ Delicious*

Last post Jan 11, 2013 6:26 AM by Appy_Girl . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • R&R * Biscuits, Sausage & Gravy Casserole ~ Delicious*

All good things wrapped around  a Biscuit !  MMmmmm was this ever tasty.  And It couldn't be any easier. This is an inspired Pillsbury recipe, Inspired by the tasty fork.  I too did my own inspiring buy eliminating, adding and simplyifing the directions. 

Its spicy and slightly rich. The norm for sausage gravy is to serve it on top of a split biscuit. This is the complete opposite. The biscuit bakes on top  of the recipe.  I took it one step further and pinched off small pieces of the biscuit and cooked it righ into to the gravy.  They were wonderful. almost like  dumpling. 

The top of the casserole browned very nicely. And a final sprinkling of cheddar really finished it off.  Just a hint of cheese. Cause this one is all about the sausage, gravy & biscuit. 

I eliminated the tomatoes, but I added some chopped onion. And I made my own hash browns but using just 2 potatoes. I basically cut the recipe in 1/2.

One very important thing is that even though I cut the recipe in 1/2, I would absolutly double the sauce amounts. 1 cup of sauce will not cover a pound of cooked sausage and a 24-oz sized bag of hashbrowns.  Plus you throw 8 biscuits on top and that little bit of gravy is going to get lost even with the added tomatoes.

I made my own white sauce from scratch in no time flat.

I also reduced the clean up by using the same skillet for all 3 processes that is listed in the recipe.

First I browned the sausage and onions. Placed in a bowl. Same skillet added a little more olive oil then the cut potatoes to brown only. Threw threw into the bowl with the sausage and onions. Mix well. By now that skillet has all kinds of nicely browned bits.  So I started on the gravy. The rest is just a matter of layering. 

The bake time and temp was right on.  This one really deserves a Sunday Morning. It was wonderful plus it fed us twice. I baked mine in  a deep dish pie plate.

Sausage, Biscuit and Gravy Casserole

Ingredients

Sausage

Green Chilies  ( used 1 green pepper )

Vegt Oil ( used olive )

Frozen potatoes ( used 2 baking potatoes )  Chopped

salt & pepper ( pepper only, plus a little garlic powder)

Package of gravy mix ( Made a white gravy from scratch using evaporated milk)

Jumbo biscuits ( used  small can of regular biscuits )  cut into small pieces

Shredded cheese( used an italian mix )

Edited to add

( one 10-oz can of tomatoes, diced . Poster used Rotel )

Recipe and photo can be found on this link.

http://thetastyfork.com/2012/11/12/biscuits-sausage-gravy-casserole/

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

• Re: R&R * Biscuits, Sausage & Gravy Casserole ~ Delicious*

Morning Janie,

I have small yukons, think they would work? Have to check the freezer for sausage otherwise this is going on the menu asap!

Thanks for sharing the recipe and saving all your hints. Another great review!

Linda

False

Gm Linda, Big Smile They certainly would work.  I actually cubed mine.

This really was  a nice comfy meal.  You could even cut back even more if you wanted to.  Or you could make individual servings. Which I may do the next time around and I plan on adding some red bell pepper to the mix !

I cooked the potatoes and peppers  together. 

This recipe will not Dissapoint !  Its  another stupid, silly recipe that Works ! 

M/m

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

I know the boys will love this so will send it on...it sounds like a real tummy warmer if using the peppers.

Thanks for your review~Linda

False

That sounds really good!  I've been looking at these for a while now.  Thanks for the review.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Gm Ladies- Great review Janie.

Sure sounds good right now! Thank you for posting your recipe and all the tips.

~Susan

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Thanks to all for peeking in. Anytime I can cut back on ingredints and mess I do it. 

This just had all of the right steps to perfectly season a pan.

Funny when was really into watching Food Tv early stages. Emeril really emphasized how important it was to work at seasoning not only the food but the pan as well. 

A tip I always  remembered, especially  if  the recipe is followed by a sauce!

Big Smile

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

Howdy, I've never been a huge biscuit and gravy person BUT lately dh & I will share an order when we go to our favorite breakfast joint. This really does sound great Janie and love all your changes, sure makes this easier. And never sure about those gravy mixes so like the thought of making my own. Thank-you much!!
    False

Sure does sound good.I never thought to use tomatoes in it .Will have to try some with the Rotel.Yum.

Thanks Janie for the recipe,another great review and your hints.

Rosie

False

Thank you for this recipe and your notes.  This will be breakfast for dinner yet this week.  Can't wait.

False

You've found a winner with this Janie! We love biscuits and gravy and I would probably make my own sausage gravy with this! Thanks!

False

Kathy

DH and I have never been a big breakfast eater but around 10:00 we sometimes go to Denny's for their $2 biscuit and gravy. He gets the h.b. and I get the egg....you have a choice. But sometimes we do breakfast for dinner and this sounds like something we would enjoy. I shred potatoes in the food processor for h.b. rather than use frozen and make my own biscuits. The last time I checked red peppers they were $1.79 each at Fred Meyers which they can keep as far as I'm concerned. Wow!!

Thanks for posting.

False

Sounds yummy!

False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/ Christmas countdown banner

April Fools Day countdown banner

Oh, my gosh, does this sound yummy. I know DH would eat the whole thing. Thanks so much for your review and recipe. I'm definitely keeping this one.

Joan

False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

I made this last night for supper and we both thought it was yummy. I used the two potatoes recommended and shredded them in the food processor then plopped them into the frying pan I had used for the sausage....1/2 lb.... and onions to brown. I made Bisquick biscuits because I was too lazy to make from scratch like I usually do and used 1 1/2 cups of Bisquick rather than the two cups the box calls for. Just cut them into strips after rolling out kinda thin put half on the first layer then the other half on the top and covered with the gravy. I had some country gravy with pepper dry mix from Winco so made a lot of that. Cheese on top. Baked about 35 minutes and had two eggs with it. Used an 8 x 8 inch pan. Even after halving ingredients it was way too much for the two of us so we had some mid morning and put a sliver back into the frig.

DH has a Mon. pinochle party at a senior center that is pot luck at noon so I am going to send this. I think the folks that go there will devour it

False