Rec/Rev/Pics Clinton Kelly's Ginger Orange Chicken with Coconut Rice | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rec/Rev/Pics Clinton Kelly's Ginger Orange Chicken with Coconut Rice

Last post Apr 26, 2013 5:50 PM by Munchmouse . 23 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 12
  • Rec/Rev/Pics Clinton Kelly's Ginger Orange Chicken with Coconut Rice

Clinton Kelly's Ginger Orange Chicken with Coconut Rice
    http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Ginger-Orange-Chicken-Coconut-Rice-Clinton-Kelly

I Love going to Pinterest.  So many things to see and pin. I have so many boards that it's so hard to choose what I want to make, be it crafts or recipes.  Lately it's been recipes that catch my eye.  Carol Pinned this recipe, tried it and said how much she liked it.  We have very similar taste in food so I was interested in the recipe.  I was very happy with the taste because I love Orange Chicken.  The Ginger accentuated the orange & wine, the flavors are phenomenal.

The fragrance wafting through my kitchen brought a smile to my face because I knew if it smelled that good, then the taste would be equally delicious.  How can I describe it?  A harmonious balance of flavors.  There was a small change to the recipe as I thought I had a bottle of Chardonnay and didn't.  So I used Merlot Rose', and used only 4 pieces of chicken. For the fresh Orange Juice I used Cara Cara oranges.  Good choice too because they are so sweet and juicy & are a beautiful pinkish orange in color.  Omitted the Peanuts due to allergy & thought about using macadamia's but have those earmarked for cookies, so no garnish, it was perfect as is.

As for the Rice, there are some really nice flavors & textures with the coconut milk, scallions and toasted coconut. I'd never thought to use coconut milk before in making rice and now i'll be using it more often.  Don't care much for raisins in my rice so those were left out. I felt it would make the rice too sweet.  I did put a few on the forkful of rice for a taste and I was right, didn't care for it so I left it out of the completed dish.  All in all?  This is a meal that I will certainly make again and have this in my Keeper File.  Big Thanks to Carol and of course to Clinton Kelly.  I had one fantastic dinner tonight

Clinton Kelly's Ginger Orange Chicken with Coconut Rice

Adapted from Clinton Kelly- The Chew

Ingredients

For the Chicken:

1 cup Orange Marmalade
    1 piece of fresh Ginger (about 1 inch; peeled and grated)
    3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    6 Chicken Thighs (bone in; skin on) -  used 4 large thighs
    1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed Orange Juice -  used Cara Cara Oranges
    1 cup White Wine - didn't have so I used Merlot Rose'
    1/4 cup Brown Sugar
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    Peanuts (toasted and chopped to garnish) Omitted

For the Rice:

2 cups White Rice
    2 1/2 cups Water
    1 13.5-ounce can Coconut Milk
    1/2 cup shredded Sweetened Coconut (lightly toasted)
    1/2 cup Golden Raisins (soaked in warm water for 5 minutes) Omitted
    3 Scallions (thinly sliced on a bias; plus more for garnish)

Method:

For the Chicken:

Pre heat the oven as directed to 375° F & season the chicken with salt & pepper.   Mix the grated ginger with the orange marmalade and set it aside.

Using my dutch oven I put the 3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil into the pan and turned the flame to just below high heat.  Seared the chicken skin side first for about 4 minutes, turned them over and put a good sized spoonful of the marmalade mixture on top of the skin of the chicken.  Add the orange juice, wine and brown sugar and stirred carefully as to not disturb the marmalade on top of the chicken.

Put the Dutch Oven into  pre heated oven uncovered for the alotted time of 40 minutes.   The timing was perfect and the chicken cooked perfectly.  The sauce was slightly runny so I reduced it to half and used it for dipping the chicken.

For the Rice:

I used Uncle Ben's rice so I didn't rinse it, so if you use regular rice you do want to rinse.  

Combine the rice, water and coconut milk & salt into a sauce pan, bring it to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover the pan.  The rice should cook for about 20 to 25 minutes,  or until all liquids are absorbed into the rice.  When done, remove from the heat and allow the rice to sit for a few minutes covered before opening the lid to fluff the rice.  Add the scallions, toasted coconut and raisins.  Serve with the chicken and enjoy.

False

As we grow up, we realize it is Less important to have lots of friends and More important to have real friends.   I Never regret my choices because i'm more intuitive than you realize

• Re: REC/REV/Pics Clinton Kelly's Ginger Orange Chicken with Coconut Rice

Cyndi good to see you posting reviews welcome back

the pictures look lovely

thanks for sharing the review and recipe

False

Hi Preci,   Thank you for the welcome back.  It's been so long since I've had the time and energy to even photograph anymore.  I had to remember how to edit my photos and still haven't got it down pat!  Will try and get here more often.

Good to "see" you too

Cyndy

False

As we grow up, we realize it is Less important to have lots of friends and More important to have real friends.   I Never regret my choices because i'm more intuitive than you realize

Welcome back.

That looks Terrific MM- great photos. I really enjoy the Chew.

Thanks for sharing your R&R with us! 

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

What a great recipe. It sounds delicious. Your pictures make it look so tasty. Thanks MMouse and Carol for a great recipe. Joan
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16-1/2 years.

Thank you for posting

My brother used to make the best coconut rice and I have yet to figure out his method.

I am happy to add this to my menu this week Big Smile

False

MorningCoffee

That looks SO good! Will be making it when I get home.

Thanks so much for the recipe and review and lovely photos!

Linda

False

YAY.....you're back taking food photos!!!!  I've MISSED my partner-in-crime. Wink

Isn't this chicken GOOD?  I knew you'd enjoy it.  Those are some GORGEOUS oranges-we can't get Cara Cara oranges up here darn it-they sound delicious.  I've never seen Merlot Rosé either......I always hear Merlot and think dark red.  I'm not a fan of red wine except when I cook with it.  Bob likes it and so doesn't Robin.  That one however I might like-it doesn't look as "heavy", know what I mean?  Robin gets a sweet red-I think it's from Barefoot-that is pretty good.

Know what I was thinking?  How about sliced almonds in the rice?  Had I not had peanuts open, that was what I was going to toast and substitute.  I imagine with the coconut milk they'd be a good side kick.

Thanks for your super review and OHHHHHHHHH those photos.  I'm definitely gonna make this again soon and use the bone-in thighs this time-those boneless ones about gave me fits-don't know what they did to them at the grocery store to get the bones out-looked like a chain saw massacre.  They were UUUUUGLY!  Bone in, skin on from now on.

Carol

False

The Chicken looks great so I'd like to try it.

The rice is so unique, I had to save it.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

• Re: Rec/Rev/Pics Clinton Kelly's Ginger Orange Chicken with Coconut Rice

Cyndi and Carol, the perfect combination.  Looks delish as usual, I am glad that when I pop in, it's like the good old days when I was here everyday.  :)

False

Hi Deb!  It's SO good to see you!!  I've missed laughing with you.  I think Cyndy will agree when I say this chicken ROCKS.  So doesn't the rice.

Still making Lemon Pepper Orzo?  :)  I haven't made it for a while now-I'm long overdue.

Carol

False

Hi Alliea, Thanks for the welcome back.  I love watching The Chew also.  The chicken is really good.  Make sure that you season it well before you start. I put the seasoning under the skin before I browned it.  Hope you enjoy it if you make it.

Thank You Joan, I love taking photos, it's the editing that drives me bonkers!  It's fun though and I enjoy it.  I Have the time right now to do it and i'm loving it

Hi Firth,  I sure hope this recipe for the rice comes close to what you're looking for.   I really liked it, but without the raisins.   can't get past putting raisins in my rice.  I hope it meets your expectations.

Hey Linda!  How are you?  I sure hope you enjoy this as much as I did.  Carol finds some awesome recipes.  Hope you have a safe trip home.

Uh Carol?  dontcha mean Sista's in crime?  HAH!  I really love orange chicken and now I can make it at home and i'm LOVIN IT.  Oh I wish you could get these oranges, they're so darned good and they're pretty too.  Kinda looks like a ruby red grapefruit inside, and they're the size of Softball... BIG.  The Merlot Rose' is from South Coast Winery and it's not bad at all, light and refreshing, not a heavy /cloying taste like some Merlot wines.  I think Peanuts would be good in this recipe, Toasted almonds would be very nice too.  I was thinking about Macadamia's but am going to use them in another recipe so I held back using them.  I have the slivered almonds, don't know why I didn't think to use them.   Let me know when you re- do this recipe maybe a coast to coast cooking session again?  Definitely use the Bone in chicken, it's worth it.  I think I know the meaning of Butcher when I see the boneless thighs.  they massacre them!  awww, thanks about the photos, but I'm not happy with them yet.  I'm still trying to figure out some of the settings on my camera.  Have my eye on a new one.................   :)

DEB!  How have you been?  I haven't been on much lately, it's hit and miss with me.  I hope you & the family are doing well.  I like the "combination" as well, it suits me just fine :)  Hope to see you here again soon.  I long for the good ol' days, they were fun!

False

Sistahs in crime?  OHHHHHHHHH we be THAT alright!  Hahahahah....but we have fun.....so many recipes, no one to eat them all. Wink

It could be they carry those oranges for a small window of time in some of the specialty grocery stores that are a good hike away from me.  I may run into them someday.

I'm not a red wine fan at all......Bob likes it.  He might like that Merlot Rosé.  I'll have to ask Robin if she's tried it-she's a red wine drinker.  She got one that she and Bob love that has a chocolate undertone to it-don't ask ME what the name of it is-Bob said it's really good-nice and smooth.  I said have a glass for me.

Peanuts were real good in this-darn your allergy to them.  I had the almonds and would have used them had I not had the peanuts open and wanted to use them up.  Macadamias............ohhhhhhhhhh my...........heaven. My stash in the freezer is waiting for a baking day....... :)

I probably couldn't do much better boning the chicken thighs but I don't know what the heck I'm doing-by the looks of the last ones I bought?  The people behind the meat counter didn't either!  Sheesh.  Bone in from now on......I've had it.

There is NOTHING wrong with those photos-you're too critical of yourself.....listen to me......HAHAHAHAHAHA.  WHAT?  A new camera?  Good grief has this one got dust on it?  Bob's still in the contemplating phase......

Deb got it right-the good ol' days were lots of fun-and lots of laughs too...........

False

A good merlot, pinot noir or even a cabernet franc would have subtle chocolate notes.  You'll have better luck going to a winery, speaking to the steward and asking questions and they can point you in the right direction. or, ask Robin.  I go by taste, not label.  there are so many good wines out there that will give you the taste you like at the best value.  I tend to do the winery instead of the market only because the wine at the market has been sitting too long in the bottle and has an after taste that can be bitter.  Not so at the wineries. and i'm the wine drinker here so I can't buy it by the box or it will go to waste.

My photo's aren't as good as before.  I just need more practice, and that, I am going to do as I have the time right now.  I just need to pick my next victim er, recipe......  I have more mac's (you know me, I always have them) and want to do another pineapple shortbread.  that might be the next recipe.  Oh yeah, those thighs get butchered badly, I use the boneless for a quick go in the pan and done.  They come out tender if done right.  good enough for a quick meal.  Yep, a new camera, I've lost count now. hehehe.   Bob's been contemplating for a few years now, GET OFF THE POT BOB! HAH     Oh yeah, I miss the good ol' days too  I hope you can find those oranges, they are really good. 

False

Not many wineries in these parts Cyndy.......so we have to stick with the store.  Wine is a treat these days.....don't drink it that much now.  A bottle would last quite a while.  I just have small ones to cook with- that's about it.

Oh baloney your photos aren't as good as before-I love the old and I love the new.  Stop beating yourself up girlfriend!

I feel like baking and can't.........no place to push it off to.  Darn it............Sad...........I gotta figure something out here........  I baked and sent out on Saturday......gotta find another reason to.........hmmmmmmmmm

The camera......Bob has his eye on a couple but it's the want/need thing.  He would like another camera but we sure don't need it.  We can manage with the 2 we have here........I'm leaving that all up to him.  I won't touch the doggone thing if he does get one.  I'm lucky I can figure this latest one out-and I'm afraid to touch buttons on it that I don't know what they are or what they do......I know power, macro and push this to take the photo........all good for me........that's all I need to know.........Wink

False