difference between apple pie & dutch applie pie??? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

difference between apple pie & dutch applie pie???

Last post Aug 10, 2004 6:26 PM by Margielou_wa . 14 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
  • difference between apple pie & dutch applie pie???
    I made an apple pie this weekend and it turned out so good - it was the first apple pie I've ever made! Anyway, while I was looking at recipes, I came across dutch apple pie. What's the difference between that and regular apple pie?
    False
  • RE: difference between apple pie & dutch applie pie???
    Doesn't dutch apple have raisins in it where reg does not...
    False
    I thought the difference was the top crust. With a Dutch Apple Pie the crust is a crumb topping.
    Charlene
    False
    That's what I thought too. An apple pie has the pie crust on top and the Dutch Apple Pie has a crumb topping.
    False
    That sounds right - I remember seeing the crumb topping recipe wtih the dutch apple. Thanks a lot!!!
    False
    I am not really sure but I think Cakedec is correct. I believe that the Dutch Apple has the crumb crust. There is some type of apple pie that has raisins in it and it also has white icing on the top crust. Is this pie called a French Apple Pie or a Danish Apple Pie? It has the name of some country in its name. I haven't had or thought about this type of pie in a long time. It was delicious.

What's the name of this pie? Come on folks, I am sure someone out there has the answer.

Fratz
    False
    Ok I remember now its the french apple w/raisins in it....
    False
    OK...now that we know the name, let's see if we can find a good recipe for it. This post brought back memories of how wonderful that pie was. I used to purchase it at the bakery and the grocery store. The bakery is long gone and I don't see them in the grocery store any more.

Fratz
    False
    Personally, if I had a good apple pie recipe, I would tend to just add raisins to the filling.

KY Kate
    False
    Whenever I make an apple pie it's almost always with a top crumb crust. This is the recipe my Mom always uses...but I don't know where it comes from, so I just call it Mom's Apple Pie. Hope you enjoy!

Mom's Apple Pie

6 C apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
    1/2 C sugar
    1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
    Pastry for single crust (recipe follows)

Topping:
    1/3 C sugar
    3/4 C flour
    6 T butter

Mix sugar, flour for topping. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside. Combine apples, sugar and cinnamon. Mix well. Put mixture into pastry lined pie dish. Cover with topping. Bake in 375º oven for 45 minutes.

Pastry for single crust:

1-1/4 C flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/3 C lard
    3/4 T cold water

Stir together salt and flour. Cut in lard. Add water until ball of dough is formed.
    False
    KY Kate... that is a good idea. Then maybe just do a powdered sugar type of icing. Thanks

Fratz
    False
    So far as I know.the French and Danish
    don't have pies,since their pastries have a different dough. The French have Tarts and the Danish their Apple "Pie" has a crust with white icinng on top.When I have time,I will look for some recipes.
    I hope I am right.
    False
    mmmmmmm love crust made with lard.Used to make them that way when my dad was alive,he loved it.Used to say they tasted just like his mom's.Pat
    False
    My Betty Crocker (1961 edition) cookbook gives the following recipe for Dutch Apple Pie:

Make a two crust apple pie except make extra large slits in top crust. Then five minutes before baking time is up, remove pie from oven. Pour 1/2 cup whipping cream through slits in top crust. Return to oven and finish baking.

French Apple Pie:
    Make pastry for one crust pie. Line pie pan. Add filling as in recipe for apple pie using minimum amount of sugar. Sprinkle with:
    Crumb Topping:
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
    1 cup flour
    Mix all ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle on pie. Bake at 400 degrees 45 to 55 minutes. Serve warm with cream or ice cream.

Regular 9 inch pie
    3/4 to 1 cup sugar
    1 tsp. cinnamon or nutmeg
    6 to 7 cups sliced pared apples
    1 1/2 tbsp butter
    Heat oven to 425 degrees. Mix sugar and cinnamon. Mix lightly through apples. Heap up in pastry lined pan. Cover with top crust;seal and flute. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until crust is nicely browned.
    False
    Forgot to add dot apples with butter before adding top crust in previous recipe.
    False