How Far Ahead Can I Make Potato Salad? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

How Far Ahead Can I Make Potato Salad?

Last post Aug 10, 2004 11:09 PM by blue_angel . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • How Far Ahead Can I Make Potato Salad?
    I am taking potato salad to a BBQ on Saturday. I am really busy on Thursday and Friday. If I make it on Wednesday will it still be good on Saturday afternoon? Or would it be better to begin preparations on Thursday and put it together on Friday? I know you can boil the eggs ahead but if I boil the potatos ahead will they be okay? Thanks so much for any help!
    False
  • RE: How Far Ahead Can I Make Potato Salad?
    I have alway made my potato salad ahead of time. As long as it is kept refrigerated I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be O.K. It tastes better after it sets awhile anyway. Good luck.
    False
    You could boil the potatoes and eggs on Wednesday but I wouldn't put it together until Friday. If you had the rest prepared it wouldn't take long to throw it together.
    False
    Blue angel - how far ahead do you make yours? I agree it is always better the next day but I didn't know about 3 days ahead.

Plumcrazy - That is kind of what I was thinking I would do since it would be pretty easy to finish up on Friday. But I wasn't sure if the potatoes would be okay boiled or how to store them. Would I just refrigerate them until Friday?

Thanks for the help, both of you! I knew I could count on somebody on this board!
    False
    My 2 cents! You can boil and slice/cube your potatos Thurs, and when really cool, seal them in a zip lock or 'sealed container. You can also boil & shell the eggs then, and store in a sealed bag, with a piece of dry paper towel to absorb any moisture. If you 'mash' your eggs,you can do that now too. Then on Friday, all you need to do is the onion, celery, whatever you add, mix in the mayo, ans leave overnite.
    Anyone tried the Kraft Mustard Mayo? it makes any potato salad AWESOME!
    So does a few spoonsful of dill relish
    I agree about the timing, if it's made Fri, anything left is out Mon AM!
    False
    Potato salad usually keeps quite awhile. 2 to 3 days ahead is not that bad. After mine is made I put it in a rubbermaid bowl with a lid and keep it in the fridge. Sometimes I mix a little more dressing just before I take it and pour it on and mix it up. My problem is I have to hide it or I won't have any left if my family finds it:)
    False