Church fundraising ideas | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Church fundraising ideas

Last post Jul 04, 2013 7:30 AM by mamaknowsbest . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Church fundraising ideas

Would anyone have any ideas about how our church could raise some money for our budget? We are a small church(about 75 families) in a smaller town. We have had a successful Italian Dinner for several years, but we are all getting older and are looking for some different ideas. We do have an annual rummage sale, a Christmas bazaar and bake sale and have done an auction of baskets we made. and a cookbook. Can any of you tell me maybe what your church has done to be successful in raising some much needed money? We would appreciate any/all suggestions! Thanks if you can help.

Louise

False
  • Re: Church fundraising ideas

We are a small community here and had lots of fund raising and our new metal church is s nice and large and a beautiful kitchen and its all paid for. We did have some awesome giving by someone from our church too. We had soup suppers, all soup homemade, sandwiches and desserts or bars all made by us. We had pancake feed with bacon on Easter, We had a Staley's broasted chicken come and they fixed the chicken and we did all the rest, salads, potatoes and desserts. We have had good results from memorials that has helped in a big way One guy lost his wife to cancer and he gave lots for the kitchen. We tore down old church and now they raised enough money to cement a drive that goes under canopy and around the front. Did not ever think it could be done. For the 4th we are having potluck and games. Kids make homemade ice cream and we make them desserts and bring food for potluck. The kids and couple parents made Mother's Day and Father's Day together on Father's day a meal and they had people bring things for silent auction and raised $1001.00 on the auction. So we have furnished a lot to get what we wanted and a lot of hard work. The kids even work so hard. They re p there mowing tonight so its nice for the4th. We also have a cemetery to keep mowed to. We are  rural community and work hard at it.

Good luck to you.

Marlene

False
    Marlene Johnson

Thanks, Marlene, for your good ideas. Sounds like your church did very well with a  lot of hard work! We are a minority church in our town with mostly older couples and not a lot of  young couples with children. We are just looking for some new, fresh ideas to help out some. Thanks again.

Louise

False

Since it is summer time how about an Ice Cream Social?

Maybe hold it in the evening when everybody is home from work, has had supper and is ready for a nice dessert? Or on Sundy afternoon, if the wweather is nice it could be held outside if you have shade trees and places to sit down.

All you need to do is buy different ice creams, some wafers (or cookies) and some toppings.

Ice Cream is easy to serve, not much work (no cooking) give everyone a choice of two toppings (sprinkels, fruit or chocolate syrup nuts ect ect). Besides ice cream Ice cold rootbeer floats should also go ver good.

ADVERTIse, advertise:  Your local radio station will most likely annouce it for a few days and that does not cost anything. Put fliers up on bulletin boards and in stores and ask other churches to annoonce it (do the same for them when they have a fund raising event)

That is what the churces do in this community of 1400. Most churches here only have about 30 families as members(tops), most even less but they do support each other.

False

Another thing we did Louise is we had garage sales in town on parking lots or some stores. We also had bake sale with it. We also had one out here in the country also. It takes a lot of work but was sure worth it. I loved the old church but was full of mold in pastors office and small basement to have anything. Now we are handicapped equipped and all on one level. They were pouring cement up there all day today. That will be nice too. Then we have light poles to put up cement is in for them also.

Marlene

False
    Marlene Johnson

Our local community association holds a strawberry social every summer and it does very well financially.

During curling season, we always have soup after Sunday morning curling.  We are only a small group on Sundays and one crock pot is enough for us. If it's being done as a fundraiser, you could probably charge $4 food a bowl after church.  In crock pots, it's easy to keep hot during the morning service.

Tasty

False

Thanks again for your ideas. I will bring them up to the committee to see what they think may work for us. I appreciate your response.

Louise

False

When we had things at church it was free will donations. Like for the soup supper the soup pot was set out and donations went in it,. all except the broasted chicken we sold tickets for that. We always asked them to go back for more. This year we about ran out of soup. We had 3 electric roasters of oyster, red chili and white chili, chicken noodle, and vegetable beef.

Marlene

False
    Marlene Johnson

Ia_meatcutter

When we had things at church it was free will donations. Like for the soup supper the soup pot was set out and donations went in it,. all except the broasted chicken we sold tickets for that. We always asked them to go back for more. This year we about ran out of soup. We had 3 electric roasters of oyster, red chili and white chili, chicken noodle, and vegetable beef.

Marlene

I agree with meatcutter. Don't charge but ask for "Free Will Offering". All the churches and other fund raisers here in ND do this, no matter whether it is a bake sale, pot luck, soup & sandwich or whatever.

They say people give more than if you price the things. I think they may have a guilty conscience that someone may see how skimpy their donation is so as a rule they are more generous. (go figure.....)

You could even have theme somg: In the Good Old Summer Time. Would not be a bad idea to play some old fashioned music during the affiar (with a sing-a-long). I can think of a fe songs (I dream of Jeanie with the light Brown hair and also something more "perky".) Bet most of the older folks would love it and it would not hurt the younger ones to learn something about old fashoned  music.

False

Bumping for weezerly

False

Thank you again. These are all great ideas and most we have not tried before. Thanks Marlene, I am a farm wife like you and you would be surprised with all we have in common. (I mow 6 hrs. a week, weather permitting). I can tell that you go to a good church and you support it well.

Thank you too, Gretel, I appreciate your help also. I have been a "lurker" on here for years and feel like I know a lot of you. This site is awesome and most people are very helpful.

Louise

False
    Hello from Maryland -- our local church does two cool things that I don't think saw mentioned here. --- Have a Saturday babysitting day at church. This works best in fall/Holiday shopping days. Usually 10 to 4pm. Families could drop children off for an hour or all day. This was a free will offering. ---- The second idea is wildly popular! The "Pink Flamingo Migration". For $10 someone can request that pink flamingoes be placed in another member's front yard for one week. That member can pay $10 to have them removed before the week is up or live with them. Families can pay insurance before the "migration" of $10 not to be eligible for a "flamingo landing" in their yard. Sign up and paying is usually done before and after church services. This does however require the purchase or donation of flamingos. Since we are in the area of Redskins fans / Ravens fans / Stealers fans a few of our flamingoes are team colors! Ravens fans will pay to have Stealers color flamingo removed!
    False