What to serve as sides & dessert with Low country Boil | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What to serve as sides & dessert with Low country Boil

Last post Jul 30, 2013 7:44 PM by Tria_inAtlanta . 13 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
  • What to serve as sides & dessert with Low country Boil

Hi,

Next week, we are having about 20 guests for a low country boil (shrimp, potatoes, corn on cob, sausage all cooked in a pot with Old Bay seasonings). I'd love some suggestions for appetizers, sides, and desserts. 

right now I am thinking about lemon squares and something chocolate (maybe brownies or Texas chocolate cake) for dessert choices. I am wondering if an ice cream sundae bar might be fun. 

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Lynne

False
  • Re: What to serve as sides & dessert with Low country Boil

While the ice cream bar sounds great - keeping the ice cream cold - unless you nest it in ice - might be a challenge in GA in the summer.   It might be simpler to just lay out the assorted bars and maybe a cake or two.  However - a  rainbow sherbet/angel food cake trifle could also work if it didn't set out too long and melt - lol!  It's light and very refreshing - a good accompaniment to the Low Country Boil.

I just tear up a very good angel food cake - use that "enhanced" angel food cake mix recipe - and layer it into a tube pan with an assortment of sherbet - I like using the lime, orange and raspberry - buy a quart of each and just use scoops alternated with the torn pieces of angel cake.   Freezer it and then turn it out and use Cool Whip to frost it - then put it back into the freezer on a cake plate or container until you're ready to slice and serve it.  A very pretty - and quite refreshing dessert.  

Of course chocolate cupcakes or brownies are always welcome and go nicely with the lemon bars.   I like serving the Brownie treats, also - a very "neat" and attractive dessert.   Make the brownies in miniature cupcake tins - lined with the miniature paper liners (slightly spray or grease them for easy removal)   They are nice to serve on a dessert table.   When the brownies/tarts are baked - immediately place an unwrapped choc. kiss in the center, lightly pressing it down - Everybody loves those and they're so easy to pick up and eat!   I try and use the striped kisses but you can use any type.

These little sweet peppers with a light and refreshing dip are also a good appetizer.   You really don't need anything too heavy with the "Boil"!   Maybe an antipasto platter would also be good.

A nice green salad would also be quite refreshing and just set out the different dressings and maybe a few toppings.  Of course some good bread to dip in the  "boil"!

Sounds like a fun evening!   Hope the weather is nice.  Of course you may be having this all inside so no problems.

The weather out here in Oregon is wonderful in the summer.  We do a lot of "outside" dining.

Tria - in Oregon for now!

False

The above desserts sound great and you might just consider a coleslaw, which can be made well ahead of time; even the day before.  I like Cajun Coleslaw.  Here is the dressing recipe I've use for many years:

CAJUN COLESLAW DRESSING

5 heaping TBS REAL mayo

2 heaping TBS  yellow mustard

2 TBS olive oil

2 TBS catsup

1+ TBS wine vinegar

2 TBS lemon juice

1 tsp garlic salt

1 TB Tabasco

2 TBS Worchestershire

1 tsp sugar

This makes enough for about 1/2 to 3/4 large head of cabbage, finely shredded.  This is a very TANGY dressing....not sweet.

False

Marilyn

How about watermelon or other melons?

I like the slaw idea.Good recipe too.Thanks Mhg.

Rosie

False

Wow! There are some great sounding dishes that have been recommended. 

Tria - I have moved to California, so our weather is a bit nicer than GA, but it still could be hot - just not humid.

Those brownie treats sounds like they would be easy for guests to just pick up. I am having many of the same guests I had for 4th of July, and I served an angel food based trifle to them, so I will save the sherbet trifle for another meal. 

Marilyn, that Cajun cole slaw dressing sounds great. I had cole slaw on the 4th of July also, but it wasn't Cajun. I will be trying that out for sure. Do you live anywhere near Raytown, Missouri? That is where dh is from.

Rosie - cut up watermelon is perfect! I will definitely include that. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks!!! Any more?

False

Yepl avidcook, lived about five minutes from Raytown back in the 70’s !  It’s probably 20 minutes from me, now.  Small world, huh ?  They were our biggest rival when it came to football !

False

Marilyn

I don't normally serve sides as there is corn and potatoes in the boil, but the slaw sounds good and maybe some french fries?

one of the best summer dessert ideas I have had is a big bowl with assorted kce cream treats in it  guests choose what they want and nk plates, bowls or silverware required   My guests loved it.

False

Hi Lynne  ~  I love the ice cream sundae bar idea. Could you prescoop the ice cream into bowls, and leave it in the freezer on trays?  Then, you could just pull them out frozen to be topped when it's dessert time?  You may not have enough room for that many bowls. You could also do some smaller servings in case any people don't want a larger serving.

Trish Yearwood did a low country boil on a recent show and she did a red velvet cake. I don't normally care for red velvet, but hers looked really good. She was doing a "movie night" and the movie was Steel Magnolias, so they did it in honor of the armadillo grooms cake, grey icing and all, LOL! I have a good brickle brownie recipe on here; I'll look for it. 

I love the idea of the a slaw with it. Macaroni salad might be nice too. I have had cold macaroni salad with tuna in and that is so good. There's not a ton of tuna, but it's a nice change. I love the idea of the watermelon too ~  a nice cold fruit salad would be nice too.

You could do a cold three bean salad ~ mix up any three beans you like (my mom used to use canned green beans, chick peas, and red kidneys), thinly sliced onions, and your favorite light dressing ~ oil and vinegar, sweet and sour, Ken's raspberry vinaigrette. You can use sliced olives too if you like them. So good, and a real summer side dish staple.

False

Here's this great brownie recipe. You can do whatever chips on top you want, including full sized ones:

Brickle Bars

1/2 C. butter or margarine
    2 squares (2 oz.) unsweetened chocolate
    1 C. sugar
    2 eggs
    1 t. vanilla
    3/4 C. all-purpose flour
    3/4 C. almond brickle pieces
    1/2 C. miniatures semisweet chocolate chips

In med. saucepan, melt the butter or marg. and chocolate over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Using a wooden sppon, lightly beat just till combined (DON'T overbeat, or brownies will rise too high, then fall flat!) Stir in the flour.

SPread batter in a greased 8"square pan. Sprinkle with the almond brickle pieces and chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into 16 bars.

False

Hi, Lynne

A dessert that went over very well was the TOH Slow Cooker Chocolate Lava Cake....makes a large amount.  I made a strawberry trifle with the leftovers and that was great, too.  When it was finished cooking, I just turned it off, and it stayed warm enough to serve with vanilla ice cream that melted slowly into each serving.  I served the trifle with whipped cream.  http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Slow-Cooker-Chocolate-Lava-Cake [copy and paste]

Another dessert idea would be one of those jello poke cakes.  Served that at a summer cookout and it was so cold and refreshing.  I didn't make this recipe http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Strawberry-Poke-Cake [copy and paste]...I used lemon jello on a 9x13 cake and served it right from the pan with with whipped cream.  I saw one that had more than one flavor, but I can't find a link.

An appetizer that goes fast in my family is hummus veggie dip with pita chips (Scoops are great, too).  I take a large hummus and mix in 1/4 cup each of finely diced red onion, tri-color bell pepper, minced fresh parsley.  I put it in a pie plate and garnish with a scattering of what I mixed in.  It's so pretty.  You can use any flavor hummus (16 oz.)  I make my own pita chips...split each round into two, cut those into triangles, put on a cookie sheet in a low (200 degrees) for an hour, stir a couple of times.  Turn off the oven and keep them in the oven until the oven is cool.  Remove chips from the oven and bag when they are no longer warm.

See you on What's Cooking later!

False

AnnStar

thanks for all of the great suggestions and recipes! This is VERY helpful!

False

I have heard about low country boil but wasn't even sure what it was. It didn't take me long to find these suggestions. It sounds like fun. Linda

False

I love the idea of the a slaw with it. Macaroni salad might be nice too. I have had cold macaroni salad with tuna in and that is so good. There's not a ton of tuna, but it's a nice change. I love the idea of the watermelon too ~  a nice cold fruit salad would be nice too.

False
    Brodon

Lynne - I didn't realize you had moved WEST.   I think we have more Californians here in Eugene than Oregonians and the weather is great out here.   However, Atlanta is not having that hot of a summer this year but definitely more humidity than we have.   I still "commute" as I do miss my Atlanta and Southeast Connections when I'm out here.  Love the more relaxed life, though.

Tria

False