R&R * Rice a Roni Meatballs * Outstanding * | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

R&R * Rice a Roni Meatballs * Outstanding *

Last post Aug 24, 2013 10:45 PM by Alliea . 17 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
  • R&R * Rice a Roni Meatballs * Outstanding *

Corner Ingredient Challenge

http://www.hoteatsandcoolreads.com/2013/08/ground-beef-and-rice-roni-meatballs.html

Oh my Glory. I struck Gold !  Weebill , We certainly did.  These Meatballs are  The Bomb!  They are moist, meaty and wonderful. They taste like a little mini meatloaf . So much so that the next time  I make them I am going to prepare the recipe meatloaf style. I added to that taste by using a meatloaf meat mixture of Pork, veal and beef. Equal amounts. Amazing how much flavor that rice has by itself. The gravy packet is reserved for preparing the gravy which the meatballs bake in after browning.

I did cut back on the amount of Rice a Roni that I used.  The meat mixture started to feel heavy and that's when I cut it short.  Using only a 1/2 of box. I also allowed the mixture to chill for several hours in order to soften up the raw rice.

This made the meat mixture nice to work with.  You really want to chop up the mushrooms and onions very finely it will make it easier to incorporate it into the mixture.  My meat mixture was close if not slightly over 3/4 of a pound and I got 13 meatballs.  The baking time is right on.

I made up a Roux first then slowly whisked in the hot broth mixture.  Only thing I added was a little freshly ground pepper. One could bump it up by adding some beef enhancers but, we enjoyed it as is. I expected it to be very salty. While it was there it was not over powering for us no salt users. It had a very nice beefy taste to it.

This was such a huge winner I will be making it again.  And I have several other plans in place for this very tasty recipe.  Janie

Rice A Roni Meatballs

Ingredients

3/4 pound of ground beef

1/3 cup minced onion

3 cloves of garlic minced

1 cup fresh white button mushrooms, diced small

6.8 package of rice a roni ( beef  flavored )

1 egg

1-1/2 tsp dried parsley

2 cups warm water

salt and pepper ( pepper only)

cornstarch & water to thicken ( used butter and flour )

Mmmm    Star

Served it with a baked potato and Corn & Bacon Casserole ( toh ) another winning side !

Buttered Noodles or Mashed Potatoes  would be Most Excellent with this recipe.

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

• Re: R&R * Rice a Roni Meatballs * Outstanding *

a REAL home-cooked meal...I am jealous! lol

This sounds great~I HAVE to go to grocery so will look for the goodies...

Thanks for sharing! Linda

False

Thanks  Linda  I strongly urge you to use just 1/2 of the box of rice mixture.  At lest  just for the first time.  You may like more texture in yours  but I suspect that it can easily over run the meat.

And be sure to chill the mixture well.  Those little hard bits of raw rice will blend in better for you.  This is a Trust Me ! Review is Not embellished it is wonderful *

(((((((hugs)))))

Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

Sounds like a beefy version of porcupine meatballs!  Yummy!  Thanks for the R & R Janie!

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Looks like a very delish meal - thank you Janie for the review and the link

False
    Hi, I guessthis shows I'm ancient and didn't know it... I started making my favorite Rice-A-Roni Meatballs in the late 60s and always have made it by the original box instructions. It was extremely economical, as the price was 3 or 4 for a dollar and lean ground beef (that was only beef and no junk added as now) was at the most 39-40¢ a pound... I've never added anything to the mixture, but did usually add barely cooked green peas, a tossed salad, sometimes with mashed potatoes, fresh yeast rolls, and a Jello dessert.I was feeding 5-6 kids nearly every day after school, 5 were mine. They got home so late on the school bus that it was an early dinner and bedtime at 8 or so. Kids back then in rural Indiana did their work at school and very rarely had homework. So, just a little history on this old recipe that is now expensive. Watch'for stock-up sales. It's a delicious company meal ready in no time.
    False

lin_65 or blueridge_va   Some of my older posts were as homebody in '02 and had 2-3 other forgotten names; there were so many problems with the old BB. I had to log out each time and using a dial-up ISP; trying to log in again, would be denied entry; until I got another name. Does not seem possible that so many years have passed. And now I'm wireless, have an android tablet and a 2006 Dell. That's an upgrade and is very fast. Makes me happy when I'm looking for recipes.

My gosh you have been busy, along with the other gals. Can't even keep up with you. I did see this on the challenge post and thought it sounded great and dh would especially enjoy it. Thanks Janie!

False

I was wondering about this one ever since you mentioned it to me and stated it was a little similar to Porcupine meatballs which were always a Family favorite when I was growing up.

Thanks Janie.

Printing out the recipe.

False

Susan-Serving as a Taste Of Home Field Editor since 2009

Oh Susan it does sound like porcupine balls !  I haven't made them in years!  I would love this!!!

False

Gm Everyone, I am so glad to see some peekersGeeked.  I was very pleased and impressed with this recipe. So much flavor and they did go very far. It's the rice a roni that bumped this one up. 

Susan, Its been years  since I last made those meatballs.  I don't remember using the Rice a Roni and I think I used to add green pepper?

Lol, Bean, You are right Lots of Reviews . Nice assortments.

I've got enough left over for 2 more meals.  This one instantly has become one of my favorites.

Thanks for stopping by.

Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

My mom used to make porcupine meatballs when we were kids   :)   Thanks for your review Janie, will have to go by and check out the blog!

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Janie, I am going to find that rice a roni today, I hope! I think it will lend flavor  and ease...

Funny, I was dreaming about these last night so I guess that is a sign to make them! lol

Linda

False

You struck gold indeed Janie! I am going to make these but with your great review, I don't know if I want to make meatballs first or meatloaf! Smile I think I'll go with meatballs first! I will have to omit the mushrooms though because of my mushroom hating family! I love mushrooms and they don't know what they are missing!

Thanks for the tip on the rice! Definitely a drool worthy recipe!

Good Morning ladies! My only child left in school started back this morning! She started 10th grade! Here I am in a quiet house and the day all to myself! Smile Very different for me not going to work! I'll have to see what I can get myself into! 

False

Kathy

lol  Linda and Kathy.

Sounds like a pretty good dream Linda.  If you cannot find it I will pony express you some.

Kathy, This would also make a great filling for stuffed peppers.  I know after you taste one you too will come up with many ideas.   Oops  light bulb just went off.  Stuff the middle with cheese while forming.  Mozz, Fontina, or Jack.

Enjoy

Janie

False

Enjoying  every Minute.

Found the rice a roni...I will be making this soon!

Linda

False