R&R Red Wine Beef Ragu - Slow Cooker | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

R&R Red Wine Beef Ragu - Slow Cooker

Last post Sep 07, 2013 5:15 PM by carol1229 . 2 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
  • R&R Red Wine Beef Ragu - Slow Cooker

This is in the current WD Magazine.  It's hot here again, so instead of heating up the kitchen, I made this.  Delicious!!! 

I used 1/2 tsp dried rosemary for the fresh, and I blender pureed the tomatoes together for convenience.

Red Wine Beef Ragu

Make Ahead:Freeze the ragu for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a large saucepan, covered, over medium heat, about 10 minutes.

1  can(s) (14 1/2-ounce) crushed tomatoes
    1/2  cup(s) red wine
    Kosher salt
    Pepper
    1  can(s) (28-ounce) whole peeled tomatoes, drained
    4  clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
    2  medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
    1  large onion, chopped
    2  sprig(s) fresh rosemary
    1 1/2 pound(s) lean beef stew meat, trimmed and cut into 3-inch pieces
    12  ounce(s) pappardelle or other wide noodles
    1/2  cup(s) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1/4  cup(s) grated Parmesan or Romano cheese

In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, whisk together the crushed tomatoes, red wine, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add the whole tomatoes, breaking them up with your hands. Stir in the garlic, carrots, onion, and rosemary. 

Add the stew meat and turn to coat. Cook, covered, until the beef is cooked through and shreds easily, 6 to 8 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high.

Twenty minutes before serving, cook the pasta according to package directions. Remove and discard the rosemary. Skim any fat that has risen to the top. Using a fork, break the meat into smaller pieces, then stir into the cooking liquid; fold in the parsley. Serve the beef ragu over the pasta and sprinkle with the Parmesan.

Arlene

False
  • Re: R&R Red Wine Beef Ragu - Slow Cooker

Thanks Arlene.

I just copied. Sounds like a good thing to make and freeze for the cold months ahead.

BJ

False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

• Re: R&R Red Wine Beef Ragu - Slow Cooker

That looks so good Arlene-I got the magazine in the mail and haven't had a chance to open it yet!  Bob's been on vacation so with the list he had of stuff he wanted to get done-by the time the day's done I'd fall asleep with the magazine open! 

Will be sure to keep my eyes open for the recipe and remove it for one of my binders.  I'm so glad you posted a review of it.........thanks so much!

Waving hi to BJ.......have a great weekend ladies,

Carol

False