Rev, Rec, + Photo: Lasagna Soup | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Rev, Rec, + Photo: Lasagna Soup

Last post Nov 08, 2013 1:56 PM by MarineMom_texas . 11 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
  • Rev, Rec, + Photo: Lasagna Soup

I prepared this soup last night and declare it a winner. It has been rainy and overcast for several days and seemed like perfect soup weather. It hit the spot. I had a hard time finding a boxed lasagna mix but finally opted for a Hamburger Helper lasagna mix. I prepared the recipe with a few changes. I did not have a zucchini but did have yellow squash and that substituted perfectly. The recipe is easy to prepare and goes together quickly.  I thought it was a little bland so added some salt and pepper and I would definitely pass the Parmesan cheese when serving as it made a big difference. This was declared a winner and thumbs up by my husband and myself as well.  (A side note: I thought I was preparing the Lasagna Soup in the current TOH magazine but discovered that this was a different one. I'll try the one in the magazine soon.) (Also edited to add: I am not a huge Hamburger Helper fan but with all the other ingredients, this soup had a delicious lasagna flavor. I will make it again.)

Here is the recipe and my photos.

Lasagna Soup Recipe

"This recipe is excellent for working mothers because it's fast to make and very flavorful," writes Gladys Shaffer from her home in Elma, Washington. Fresh zucchini and corn add color and crunch to a boxed lasagna dinner mix.
    TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
    MAKES: 10 servings

Ingredients

•  1 pound ground beef
    •  1/2 cup chopped onion
    •   1 package (7-3/4 ounces) lasagna dinner mix
    •  5 cups water
    •  1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
    •  1 can (7 ounces) whole kernel corn, undrained
    •   2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    •  1 small zucchini, chopped

Savings in fort worth, TX 76137  Change Zip

Nutritional Facts

1 serving (1 cup) equals 175 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 671 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.

Directions

1. In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add contents of the lasagna dinner sauce mix, water, tomatoes, corn and cheese; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    2. Add the lasagna noodles and zucchini. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
    Originally published as Lasagna Soup in Quick Cooking September/October 1999, p13
    Enjoy!
    Joan
    False

Land of the Free....because of the Brave Click for Fort Worth, Texas Forecast

Proud Field Editor for Taste of Home for 16 years.

• Re: Rev, Rec, + Photo: Lasagna Soup

Joan, I think the hubby would like this...I will put this on the winter soup list for him.

I will get some garlic bread, too...

Thanks for sharing the recipe and great photos!  Linda

False

Pass  me a bowl please- I would like some

False

That looks super good Joan. I don't think I've seen those lasagna kits but will look for them. Thank-you much, your review is great & pictures drool-worthy!

False

Looks great Joan! Love your pictures! I'm wondering if Chef Boyardee would have the mix? I'll check it out! Thanks!

False

Kathy

Joan that looks great!

Lasagna dinner mix was a Hamburger Helper type product.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Thanks, ladies, for peeking in. I had a hard time figuring out what lasagna mixes were out there and available but Hamburger Helper was the only one I could find. Walmart didn't have anything. I didn't want to run around and check out other grocery stores since they were not close by. The Hamburger Helper worked just fine. Kathy, you might find a Chef Boyardee mix. I've not seen one around here.

We really enjoyed it and will probably have another bowl for dinner tonight since we ate a large lunch.

Edited to add: Thanks Sue. It didn't specify in the recipe and I thought there might be one like a pizza mix that comes in a box. Glad to know I picked the right one - LOL.

Joan

False

Joan, that recipe looks and sounds really good....this weather gets me in the soup mood too. Great photos - thanks for sharing.

False

Becky

Taste of Home Field Editor

"It's not cooking if you're not making a mess."

Hi Joan,

It sure looks like a winner to me.  I am going to have to try it.

Thanks for sharing and for the great pictures too!

Nancy

False

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2002, Grand Prize Winner, First Prize Winner and Honorable Mention

_nlfPA
    It sure looks like a winner to me.

Me too Yes.

Soup weather is upon us and I've copied this one.

Thanks Joan.

Nancy

False

A room without books is like a body without a soul. - Cicero

Joan, That is one bowl of delicious Ness*  I have not bought those boxed mix's   in years. They really do offer some store bought help.

Thanks for sharing the Recipe and Review. Great Photo too.

Janie  

False

Taste of Home member since 2004. Taste of Home field Editor since 2009*

Enjoying  every Minute.

Ladies, it really is soup weather here in Texas, too. We've had a cold snap and a bowl of warm soup tastes so good. I have to admit that when I heated this soup the next day, my husband commented that he thought it tasted even better. It did. Thanks for peeking in.

Joan

False