Roasting Time for a 33.31 lb. turkey | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Roasting Time for a 33.31 lb. turkey

Last post Nov 14, 2013 4:41 PM by justyouandme20002001 . 9 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
  • Roasting Time for a 33.31 lb. turkey

Yikes, my turkey this year weighs in at 33.31 lbs. and all the charts I have looked at only go up to 29 or 29 lbs.  Any clue as to how long it will take for me to roast this bird, stuffed?   Maybe the Test Kitchen experts can give me an answer. 

I did find out that it will take about 8 days to thaw in the fridge...  Good thing I have two refrigerators.  We plan to have 16 sitting down for dinner, and I like to cook a big turkey, for the simple economy involved. The bone of an 18 lb. turkey will weigh about the same as the bones on this 33 pounder, so there is more meat than bone being measured. And, just in case you are curious, the price in Tampa, at Publix for this bird was $19.65 ($0.59/lb.) 

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

• Re: Roasting Time for a 33.31 lb. turkey

33 lb turkey ???  Beema, thats the size of a KINDERGARTENER !!   OMG, just what are you going to PUT it in to roast it ???  Probably the 17- 20 minutes per pound rule still applies BUT isn't that a little iffy on the stuffing sitting inside for as long as it will take to "warm up" inside ??  Just a thought.

False

Marilyn

Maybe you could get someone to cut it in half?or spatchock it?http://www.marthastewart.com/275445/how-to-spatchcock-a-turkey/@center/1009014/thanksgiving-turkey-main-dishes

I`d be afraid that the breast would be so dried out by the time the rest of the bird gets up to temp.

Good luck.And Happy Thanksgiving.

Rosie

False

Wow, the largest I've ever seen in the store was about 24 pounds.  I agree with Motorhomegal regarding cooking it stuffed, I really don't think that would be a good idea to cook it stuffed.  Unstuffed at 1 hour for every 3 pounds would mean 11 hours in the oven.

False

The stuffing goes into the bird hot, directly from being cooked on the stove.  My family would be up in arms if I didn't stuff the turkey.. and I have always done it that way..  so that is not an option.  And, in all my years of making Thanksgiving dinner (60 of them) I have never had a dried out bird.  Now what?

False

♥ Life is a song, sing it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a dream, realize it, Life is a sacrifice, offer it. Life is love, enjoy it. And, life is cooking, eat it. (Sai Baba & Judy)

♥ Judy Batson, Volunteer Field Editor, Taste of Home, 2009 ♥ Contest Winner, Country Woman, 2011♥ Meet me at Cooking for Two.

Beema, my 'home grown' turkey is hovering at 36 lbs. She just fits in my pan..I always put LOTS of butter and herbs under the skin and never stuff a bird that big although I know some people do.

I make it breast side down and wrap it in cheesecloth. Those big gals are hard to know when enough time is enough time...I usually start the temp at 500, then lower it after 30-45 minutes to 350. I also turn the bird to breast side up the last hour~that is usually a two person job or just transfer to another pan with the juices. I always baste it every 1/2 hour.  I use a thermometer to check temps, too.

I am one that makes the turkey a day ahead so I can check it-and not serve some poor hacked up turkey~but again, that is just me!

Just to be on the safer side of baking and not what I do, I looked on internet and found this info from butterball interesting, too. 

False

I hope you have a big roasting pan and a big oven. We had a 36lb live turkey that, dressed,  would not fit into the huge roasting pan Mom had nor would it fit into the oven. We had to take it to the bakery in the next town the night before and picked up it at 10:30 Thanksgiving day morning. Normally our turkey were always stuffed, but not that one.

I still have a picture of that turkey. One of our guests had a 4 year old gr.daughter and she could hardly hold the leg with both hands.

False

Beema
    And, in all my years of making Thanksgiving dinner (60 of them) I have never had a dried out bird.  Now what?

OOps sorry I forgot who I was trying to give advice .I`ve only had 50 years of experience and I`ve had one or two dried out  turkeys.

Good luck with your big bird.

False

Lots of good advice here.  I appreciate everyone's input, and suggestions.  And, over the years methods change, ovens change, and every year I find a new way to do part of the process...  one of these days, I may just get it perfect, and then along comes a newer idea. 

For years, my grandmother would soak some cheesecloth is hot oil and then lay it across the top of the bird, to keep it from drying out, and basting every hour or so... and back then, using a gas stove, it was difficult to determine exact oven temperatures.  Later, we were told to make a tent of aluminum foil to keep all the juices inside the tent to keep the bird moist.. that always worked for me. 

False

Maybe you could call the Butterball turkey help line....google for the phone number.

I would definately roast it breast side down. Will it fit into a turkey roaster?

False