Refrigerator Desserts | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Refrigerator Desserts

Last post May 25, 2007 1:33 PM by dutchmom4MI . 15 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
  • Refrigerator Desserts
    My aunt used to make a variety of hot-weather desserts she called "Refrigerator desserts". Basically, they involved some kind of cookie, whipped cream and pudding, and were layered in a loaf pan, and refrigerated overnight. The cookies would soften, and the flavors would meld together. I remember one with gingersnaps. Does anyone have any similar recipes? Thanks so much!!
    False

There's no such thing as "try". You either do, or you don't.

• RE: Refrigerator Desserts
    bump
    False
    False

This came from the AARP website, I think. Haven't made it yet.

Lemon Coconut Icebox Cake
    It's very rich, so serve small portions, topped with a bit of whipped cream.

Makes 8 to 10 servings

1 7-ounce package, ladyfingers
    1 1/2 tablespoons, cornstarch
    1/3 cup, milk
    4 egg yolks
    1/4 cup, granulated sugar
    Juice of 1 lemon, plus the grated zest of one-half
    12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks), unsalted butter, softened
    1 1/2 cups, confectioner's sugar
    1 cup, heavy (whipping) cream
    1/2 cup, unsweetened shredded (sometimes labeled desiccated) coconut
    Line the sides of a 9- by 3-inch springform pan with ladyfingers. Place them standing up, with rounded sides against the pan. If necessary, trim the bottoms so they are level with the top of the pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with the remaining ladyfingers, cutting them any way you please to make them fit. (This layer will not show.) You may have leftover ladyfingers; reserve them for another use.

Place the cornstarch in a small bowl, and add the milk gradually, stirring to blend. Place the egg yolks and granulated sugar in the top of a double boiler, and beat well until lightened in color. Add the cornstarch mixture, and blend. Heat over simmering water, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth, about 8 minutes. (Avoid overheating, or mixture will curdle.) Remove from heat, add lemon juice and rind, then cool.

In a small bowl, cream the butter with the confectioner’s sugar. Gradually combine the egg and butter mixtures, stirring well. In a separate bowl, beat the cream until very soft peaks form. Stir 1 cup of the cream into the egg mixture, then fold in the rest. Pour the mixture into the pan. Refrigerate overnight or until firm, at least 6 hours.

Unhinge the pan sides and gently remove them. Do not remove the cake from the pan bottom. Allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle the top of the cake with the coconut.

False
    Banana Split Dessert

2 c. crushed graham cracker crumbs
    5 T. margarine or butter, melted
    12 oz. COLD evaporated milk
    ¼ c. COLD milk
    6 oz. instant vanilla pudding mix
    2 medium bananas, sliced
    2 c. strawberries, sliced
    20 oz. can unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
    8 oz. carton Cool Whip
    3 T. chopped walnuts
    3 T. Hershey’s syrup

Combine cracker crumbs and margarine. Press into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan (greased). Whisk evaporated milk, milk, and pudding mix until slightly thickened. Spread pudding evenly over crust. Layer with bananas, strawberries, pineapple, and Cool Whip.
    Sprinkle with nuts. Drizzle with chocolate syrup. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before cutting.

False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

This sounds yummy. It was posted by kansasdeb.

Posted by: kansasdeb Posted on: 5/19/2004 7:43:50 PM
    #R3682809
    We are having a family get-together and I am planning on serving one posted by Maddymoo called Caramel Pecan Delight it sounds yummy. Here it is
    Caramel Pecan Delight
    1 pkg (16 oz) pecan cookies, crushed
    1/2 C. melted butter
    Mix together and press in greased 13x9 pan, bake at 375 for ten minutes, cool.
    2 8oz. pkgs. cream cheese
    1 jar (12 oz) caramel ice cream toping, divided
    1 1/2 C. milk
    1 pkg (5.1 oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix
    3/4 C. chopped pecans
    Beat cream cheese and 1/2 c. topping. Whisk milk and pudding for 2 minutes and fold into cream cheese. Spread over cooled crust. Sprinkle with pecans. Cover and chill at least 6 hrs. Drizzle with remaining topping.
    False

Faith is not demanding what we want; it is trusting God's goodness in spite of life's tragedies. Dave Branon

Bumping again.
    False

LAYERED PUDDING DELIGHT
    DESSERTS/PUDDING
    14 whole graham crackers
    1 box (6 serving) jello instant
    vanilla pudding
    2 c. cold milk
    1 c. cool whip
    1 can cherry or blueberry pie
    filling
    Line 9" pan with crackers.
    Prepare pudding mix. Let stand 5 min., then blend in cool whip. Spread half the pudding mixture over crackers. Add another layer of crackers. Top with remaining pudding mixture and crackers. Spread pie filling over top layer of crackers. Chill 3 hours.
    False
    Thanks everyone...My family is looking forward to sampling these yummy sounding desserts, and although it's not really warm in Maine this summer, I won't have to light the stove! Happy cooking! PammiJ
    False

There's no such thing as "try". You either do, or you don't.

Here is an easy recipe many like, I think you could use any kind of hard cookie. . . maybe even soft. I have been thinking of using peanut butter soon :)

Posted by: skum Posted on: 5/25/2004 10:26:30 AM
    #R3713785
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Posted by: spongegina Posted on: 2/1/2004 2:11:16 PM #R2962132 Here is an extremely easy dessert that everyone loves! It's so easy I don't even have a name for it! LOL
    1 bag of store bought chocolate chip cookies
    1 small, shallow bowl of milk
    1 large container of Cool Whip
    Dunk your cookies completely for a couple of seconds and shake off excess milk--layer cookies and Cool Whip in trifle bowl ending with Cool Whip on top ( I use a punch or salad bowl) take a few dry cookies at the top layer and crumble them on top to look nice! That's it! Refrigerate until served.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Posted by: Honeycat_pa Posted on: 2/12/2003 10:06:11 AM #R1137570
    Cookies & Creme
    1 large package chocolate chip cookies (Chips Ahoy, etc.)
    1 large tub Cool Whip
    milk

Crush a couple of cookies for topping.

In a trifle bowl, or other deep container, place a layer of Cool Whip. Dip cookies in milk (in and out - don't soak), and place a layer over the Cool Whip. Continuing layering until container is full. Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs. This is best if made the day before or several hours before serving. This gives the cookies a chance to soften. No one, unless they've had this before, will know what they're eating. You don't have to tell them what it is or how easy it is to make. Let them think you've slaved over it.

You can also make small individual versions of this in parfait glasses.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Posted on: beachmomma_8711/15/2002 12:51:02 PM #R804883
    The next is Chocolate Chip Cookie Dessert, only 3 ingredients, cookies, milk, Cool Whip!! Dunk cookies in milk, line any size pan with them , cover with a layer of Cool Whip, layer till pan is filled, crumble A FEW DRY COOKIES ON TOP!! Refrigerate, the longer the better!! Very Good!!

False
    These sound good for the upcoming holiday weekend!!

Amy
    False

I think Four Layer Delight is one of the best standby fridge type desserts. I don't have it with me, but it's the one with a pecan-sandy type crust on the bottom, a dense chocolate pudding on the second layer; cool whip, cream cheese and confectioner's sugar on the third layer and cool whip on top.
    False
    bump
    False
    Chocolate Eclair Cake By Cubbybear
    (Superb!)

1 Box whole graham crackers
    6 oz Package instant vanilla pudding mix*
    3 c Milk
    8 oz Carton whipped topping

Glaze:

1 c Sugar
    1/8 ts Salt
    1/3 c Cocoa
    1/4 c Milk
    1/4 c Butter
    1 ts Vanilla extract

Butter 13 x 9 inch pan and cover bottom with layer whole graham crackers. Mix pudding mix and milk beating well. Fold in whipped topping. Spread half of mixture over crackers in pan. Cover with another layer of crackers. Spread remaining mix over crackers. Top with a layer of crackers.

In saucepan, combine sugar, salt, cocoa and milk. Bring to a boil and boil one minute. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Beat until smooth and spread on top of crackers. Refrigerate. Much more delicious if not served until next day.
    *(I used 2 small French Vanilla puddings because they are more vanilla-y!)
    False
    Great post. Thanks.
    False