Blue Willow Inn Cookbook | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Blue Willow Inn Cookbook

Last post Aug 10, 2010 12:25 AM by Jannalee_CA . 89 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 6 (90 items) 12345Last >
  • Blue Willow Inn Cookbook
    I just received a copy of the Blue Willow Inn cookbook. It has lots of great recipes in it. Let me know if anyone wants recipes.

Has anyone ever eaten in this restaurant? It is named after the Blue Willow dishware. They converted a beautiful old southern mansion into a restaurant. The home has a colorful history, it supposedly was the inspiration for Tara in Gone With The Wind. Margaret Mitchell was engaged to one of the original owners of the mansion. It's in Social Corner, Georgia.

Jannalee
    False
  • RE: Blue Willow Inn Cookbook
    bump
    False
    Any recipes for their house specialty?
    False
    chowgirlmom:

They have tons of great recipies, mostly all southern. Fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, greens, cornbread, veggie recipies, okra, tomatoes, casseroles, rice pudding, bread puddings, appetizers, desserts, "comfort food". I don't know what their house specialty would be other than great southern cooking. Could be any number of recipes. Tell me what are you interested in and I will look it up for you.

Jannalee
    False
    Do they have any zuchinni squash recipes??? Or how about any crockpot recipes?? Any casseroles are also fun to make!! Thanks and enjoy your new book!!! If you wish to share any, would be appreciated!!!
    DeeDeeBird
    False
    I have that cookbook, and I love it. I mainly bought it to pass down to my grandchildren, because the recipes are what I grew up with and how I cook. I was amazed!

KY Kate
    False
    Deedeebird:
    I will check for a zuccini squash recipe get back to you.

KY Kate - Don't you just love the book? I thought the same exact thing. It was just like my Mom's cooking. But she NEVER wrote anything down, did it all from memory or "feel". So this book was great for me. Feels like I have all my Mom's favorite recipes written down!

Jannalee
    False
    DeeDeeBird:
    Here is your squash casserole recipe:

SQUASH CASSEROLE FROM THE BLUE WILLOW INN COOKBOOK:

1 medium onion, Chopped
    2 TABLESPOONS bacon grease
    1/2 plus 1/4 Cup grated Chedar cheese
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of chicken soup
    1 Cup sour cream
    1/2 Cup Butter
    3 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/4 Cup chopped bacon
    3 pounds sliced squash, cooked until firm
    1 1/2 cups plus 1/2 cup Ritz crackers, crumbled into crumbs

Saute the onion in bacon grease. Preheat oven to 350. In mixing bowl combine onion, 1/2 cup cheese, salt, soup, sour cream, butter, eggs and bacon. Add the squash and 1 1/2 cups cracker crumbs. Mix gently, but do not mash the squash. Pour into a 9 X 12 inch baking dish or casserole. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven, top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 1/2 cup cracker crumbs. Return to oven just long enough to brown the cracker crumbs and melt the cheese.

Makes 8 to 10 servings

Jannalee
    False
    Guess I am cook like your mom. Except for cakes, I had hardly anything written down. I am trying to measure behind myself now on the recipes I make a lot so they won't be lost for the grandkids.

KY Kate
    False
    I just had lunch at the Blue Willow Inn a couple of weeks ago. It is in Social Circle, GA, and housed in one of the old historic homes of that little town. There is a young lady dressed in a beautiful hooped skirt dress serving lemonade on the porch, greeting guests and offering a rocker for waiting. The food is delicious, it's just as you described - real southern cooking! But guess what? I didn't get a cookbook!

If you ever have an opportunity to eat there, it's really worth your time. Nancy W
    False
    Hi Jannalee,
    Sounds like a wonderful cookbook! I would love to see the chicken and dumplings recipe. =)

Lori
    False

KY Kate:

Please please please write down your recipes for your kids/grandkids. My mother learned from her mother and neither one of them wrote anything down. They are both gone now and I have to rely on my memory of watching them while they cooked. My grandma made amazingly light dumplings, I can almost duplicate them, but her idea of a recipe was to "put enough flour in bowl to "hold" it together, make a well in flour, add 1/2 eggshell full water, etc"... Wish I could have the exact proportions in writing!!! Just like her instructions for fried chicken, she said turn you it when you smell it!

Jannalee
    False
    mrschieflww (Nancy W):

I ordered the book on line through Amazon.com. It was under $20.00, hardback beautiful book.

GreenChili: Here is your Chicken and Dumplings recipe:

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS FROM THE BLUE WILLOW INN COOKBOOK

1 (3 to 4 pound) chicken, disjointed
    2 quarts plus 1/4 cup water
    2 cups self-rising flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup shortening
    1/2 cup melted butter
    2 teaspoons black pepper

Combine the chicken and the 2 quarts water in a stockpot. Cook over medium high heat until done, about one hr. Remove the chicken from the pot, reserving the broth. Cool the chicken in cold water. Remove the bones, skin and fat. Cut chicken meat into bite sized pieces. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut in the shortening until mixure is coarse. Add the 1/4 cup water and mix well with your hands. Bring the chicken broth back to a slow boil. With floured hands, pinch small quarter sized piece of flour and drop them into the simmering chicken broth. Gently stir after adding several pinches. Repeat until all the dumpling mix is used. Stir gently. Add the butter and black pepper. Simmer 8 to 10 minutes. Slowly stir in the chicken meat. Serve in soup bowls.

As an aside: I remember my mom making dumplings and she put the top back on the pot, turned burner to simmer, and didn't lift the lid for 10 to 12 minutes. No peeking!

Jannalee
    False
    It is a very good idea to write down recipes that are passed down or taught to us. I had the same experience, my mother made some yeast pastries. A little bit of this and a little bit of that. She never measured, she just put it in. I watched sometimes, but I don't know how much of anything. She's been gone for awhile. There are so many things I should of asked but didn't think of at the time.
    False
    How can someone get a cookbook? Do you have to go there to get it? I wonder if you can post some greens, veggie,desserts and comfort foods. Any recipes would be appreciated! Thank you!

Tamara
    False