JMartinelli13's Favorite Recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

JMartinelli13's Favorite Recipes

Last post Sep 18, 2014 5:17 AM by JMartinelli13 . 724 replies.

Rate This

Forum Jump:
Page 36 of 49 (725 items) < First3435363738Last >
  • Re: JMartinelli 13's Favorite Recipes

Rec, Rev & Pic~  Blueberry Pie Bars

I'm going to put these in my favorites thread, but the jury is still out.    I had one for breakfast this morning and I loved the base crust.   The filling layer was stiff as a board in the mixing bowl and I had to add the remainder of the 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk to get it sort of spreadable.      The texture looks sort of odd, but the taste is good.      Waiting on Tim and Jake's opinion   :)

Blueberry Pie Bars

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    --------  ------------  --------------------------------
                            FOR THE CRUST:
         1/2           cup  Granulated Sugar
      1           teaspoon  Baking Powder
      1 1/2            cup  All-purpose Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
      1           teaspoon  Lemon Juice
      1              pinch  Salt
         1/2           cup  Cold Butter
                            FOR THE FILLING:
      1                cup  Sweetened -- Condensed Milk
      1 1/2     Tablespoon  Vanilla Bean Paste Or Vanilla Extract
      1                cup  All-purpose Or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
         1/4          cups  Melted Butter
      3               cups  Blueberries

Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a 9×13" baking pan.

In a food processor fitted with the dough blade, stir the first five ingredients together (sugar, baking powder, flour, lemon juice, salt). Cut the butter into 8-10 pieces, then use the processor to work the butter into the flour until the butter is in pea-sized chunks.

Savvy Tip: If you don’t have a food processor, you can also use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut the butter into the flour.

Evenly press the dough into the prepared pan, and bake at 375F for 20 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown. Then remove from the oven.

In the meantime, blend the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, 1 cup flour, and melted butter until smooth. Fold in the blueberries.

Pour the blueberries over the crust, spreading the filling evenly over the top of the crust. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the top begins to firm up. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

Source:
      "http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/blueberry-pie-bars-2/?print=1#"

** MUCH better chilled and on Day 2.   Taste is good, not 100% sure I would make them again.

False

Jolene--  http://jolenesrecipejournal.blogspot.com/

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Rec, Rev & Pic~ Blueberry Balsamic Salad Dressing 

The blueberries are finally winding down at my Dad's, I only got about 2lbs when I picked on Saturday.    With 2 types of muffins already sitting on the table and blueberry pie bars in the fridge, I was looking for a non-dessert option to make yesterday.       This recipe came from the MMMisforMommy blog via Foodgawker, and it is incredibly simple and delicious.      It's a great mix of tart and sweet and it's an out of this world color.      I poured it over a combination of romaine, red onion, tomatoes, cukes, dried cherries, croutons and sunflower seeds.    So good!   I'm betting it would also be excellent with strawberries or blackberries.  

Blueberry Balsamic Salad Dressing

1/2           cup  fresh blueberries
         1/4           cup  extra virgin olive oil
      2               tbsp  balsamic vinegar
                            Sea salt & pepper to taste
         1/2         clove  minced garlic-- used jarred
      1                tsp  honey

Combine everything in blender and let run until thickened and combined.  This dressing will really thicken up and can get almost mousse-like if you let it sit.  Add a few drops more oil and pulse if you need to thin it out.

Source:
      "http://mmmisformommy.blogspot.com/2011/08/blueberry-balsamic-salad-dressing.html"

False

"Find something you are passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it" -- Julia Child

Rec, Rev & Pic~ Tomato Pie from Harvest Eating

Every summer I patiently wait for "good" tomatoes from the farm.   Not those tasteless rubbery skinned things that you find at the grocery store... bleh.     Jake and I visited on Thursday, and I was so happy to see the huge table lined with gorgeous ripe tomatoes.      I used one here and there to top burgers, made BLTs, but I wanted a recipe to really showcase how great they are.    

I found this recipe in Keith Snow's Harvest Eating, and I happened to have one pie crust so I went with it.   Super simple, if you don't have a tart pan you definitely could just use a baking sheet, fold the edge over and crimp it or flute it.     I don't care for bleu cheese, so I substituted some shredded 3 cheese blend (parm, asiago and romano).    I also used dried rosemary, this would also be great with basil.  

Simple, in season and delicious!    This would be beautiful done as smaller bites too, just cut circles out of the dough with a biscuit cutter.   

Clock is ticking down on summer and I hope to enjoy more tomato recipes before they disappear for another year!

Tomato Pie

Recipe By: Keith Snow, Harvest Eating.

1             recipe  pie dough
      2              large  heirlooms tomatoes -- sliced
         1/2           cup  cooked apple wood smoked bacon -- in large pieces
      3                tbs  Parmesan cheese -- grated
      2                tbs  extra virgin olive oil -- (2 to 3)
      1                 tb  fresh rosemary--used dried
      2                tbs  blue cheese -- frozen-- used parm/asiago/romano blend
                            kosher salt to taste
                            black pepper to taste

1. Roll out dough and form into the tart pan that has been greased, dock the dough with a fork. Blind bake it  for 10-15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven until just starting to get golden brown.
    2. Lay tomatoes in dough, add chopped rosemary, top with bacon, season with salt and pepper.
    3. Shave your blue cheese on then add the Parmesan cheese.
    4. Bake for roughly 25 minutes in the same 350 degree oven.

False

Rec, Rev & Pic~ Nectarine Chicken Salad from Country Woman  :)

Picked up some amazing nectarines at the farm this week.   I really wanted something light, and this fit the bill perfectly.     I added blueberries, red onion and sliced cukes.     For the chicken, I used sliced panko-breaded boneless skinless breasts that I baked in the oven.      

Nectarine Chicken Salad

1/4           cup  lime juice
      1         tablespoon  sugar
      1         tablespoon  minced fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme) -- used dried
      1         tablespoon  olive oil
      1                     garlic clove -- minced
      6               cups  torn mixed salad greens
      1              pound  boneless skinless chicken breasts -- cooked and sliced
      5             medium  ripe nectarines -- thinly sliced

In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the lime juice, sugar, thyme, oil and garlic; shake well. On a serving platter, arrange salad greens, chicken and nectarines. Drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.

NOTES : Added blueberries, red onion and sliced cukes.    Used panko breaded bake chicken.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 266 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 76 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 26 g protein.

Nectarine Chicken Salad published in Country Woman July/August 2000, p29

False

Rec, Rev & Pic~ Lemon Blueberry Zucchini Bread~ this screams summer :)

As you might have noticed from my last few weeks of reviews.   I have blueberries.   Lots of yummy, fresh from the patch, sweet as can be blueberries.     I also picked up a half dozen zucchini at the farm earlier in the week.   Carol has posted lots of amazing zucchini bread recipes and I've had this one on the to-try list for a while.   I did not have the lemon oil, so I omitted it.   I ended up using a full tsp of baking powder due to a reading comprehension error   :)    I also covered the top of the bread with a nice layer of turbinado sugar before baking.   

Made this on Tuesday, and didn't get to slice it til yesterday morning.    Beautiful texture, wonderful flavor.    I love the added sweet crunch of the turbinado crust.    I got two beautiful loaves, one disappearing fast and the other is wrapped and in the upright freezer.    I am looking foward to unwrapping it in the dregs of our long New England winter and enjoying a little taste of summer. 

Thank you Carol for yet another hit recipe.  I hearby crown you the Zucchini Bread Queen  :)

LEMON BLUEBERRY ZUCCHINI BREAD (Carol1229)

3                     eggs -- beaten
      1 1/2             c.  sugar
      3               tsp.  lemon extract
      1                 c.  oil
      2                 c.  peeled -- grated zucchini
                            Grated zest of 1 lemon
         1/2          tsp.  lemon oil (optional)-- I omitted
      3                 c.  all-purpose flour
      1               tsp.  salt
      1               tsp.  baking soda
         1/2          tsp.  baking powder (I misread and used a full tsp here)
      1               pkg.  instant lemon pudding mix -- (3 oz.)
      2 to 2 1/2  c.  fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen berries -- do not thaw-just toss with a little flour before folding them into the batter)

Beat eggs until light. Add sugar, lemon extract and oil; mix well. Stir in zucchini, lemon zest and lemon oil (if using).
    Sift flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and pudding mix; blend with creamed mixture. Fold in blueberries.
    Divide batter between (2) 9x5-inch greased loaf pans OR (6) 5x3-inch greased mini loaf pans.
    Bake @ 350 degrees for 1 hour for 9x5-inch loaves,  40-45 minutes for mini loaves, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Let cool in pan 15-20 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely.

Source:
      "http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/p/796805/6801350.aspx#6801350"

False

Rec, Revs & pics, Maple Glazed Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Jam Sandwich~ the ultimate BLT!

Surfing the blogs one day I saw someone had visited a restaurant and had an upscale BLT- maple glazed bacon, avocado, tomato Jam, greens on a hearty bread.     I had copied Mark Bittman's Tomato Jam to try and I never got around to it, and a quick search found a Maple glazed bacon recipe here- http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/maple-glazed-bacon-3729    

I made the jam last night, mine took about 45 mins longer than the recipe stated, but I had very juicy tomatoes.  I didn't seed the jalapeno.   I subbed coriander for the cumin because I was out and I'm not a huge fan.    I tried a spoonful and loved the result.   Sweet, tomato-ey with a little bit of heat. 

We're in the midst of hurricane prep here on the East Coast and the only hearty bread I could find was a marble rye.   It was way too big for my toaster, so before I made the bacon I tossed the bread on to brown on both sides.       I used center cut bacon, real NH maple syrup.   I confess, I eyeballed measurements, and I upped the dijon a little because I wanted more of the sharp taste rather than sweet.

The finished sandwich was fantastic.    I apologize for the pic quality, but I just couldn't wait to dig in!

Tomato Jam- Mark Bittman

1 1/2         pounds  good ripe tomatoes (roma are best) -- cored and coarsely chopped
      1                cup  sugar
      2        tablespoons  freshly squeezed lime juice
      1         tablespoon  fresh grated or minced ginger
      1           teaspoon  ground cumin -- used coriander
         1/4      teaspoon  ground cinnamon
         1/8      teaspoon  ground cloves
      1           teaspoon  salt
      1                     jalapeño or other peppers -- stemmed, seeded and minced, or red pepper flakes or cayenne to taste.

1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy medium saucepan, Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.

2. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture has consistency of thick jam, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, then cool and refrigerate until ready to use; this will keep at least a week.

Yield: About 1 pint.

Source:
      "http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/20/dining/201mrex.html?pagewanted=print"

False

Blueberry Jam with Cinnamon

Used up the last of the year's berries to make this jam yesterday.   Recipe didn't state what to do with the water, so I added with the berries to the pan.    Upped the cinnamon a little.   I didn't measure the berries too carefully and I got 10 1 cup jars.      Not overly sweet, nice cinnamon taste.   Berries still have some body to them.    Would also be good on waffles, ice cream or to top cheesecake.

Blueberry Jam with Cinnamon

10              cups  fresh blueberries (washed and any stems removed)
      2               cups  raw cane sugar
      2               cups  splenda (if you don't want to use splenda use 4 cups raw cane sugar)-- used all sugar
      1             packet  sure gel low sugar jam
      1                tsp  cinnamon
         1/2           cup  water
         1/4           cup  lemon juice

Rinse blueberries and place into a heavy bottom pot (I used a 5 qt pot) and add in 1/4 cup of white sugar mixed with the package of pectin and lemon juice. Slowly bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Once boiling add in splenda and remaining sugar and cinnamon all at once. Keep stirring constantly and bring back to a rolling boil. Boil for one minute and then remove from heat and place into sanitized mason jars (fill up to a 1/2 inch from the top of the jar - this is where a jar funnel comes in super handy) . Carefully wipe off any spills and place lids and rings on the jars. Use your tongs and place filled jars back into the large pot of hot water, bring to a boil and let boil for 10 minutes. Remove jars with the tongs and let dry on a cooling rack undisturbed overnight. Label your jars and give them to all those people you love :)

Source:
      "http://stephchows.blogspot.com/2011/08/blueberry-cinnamon-jam.html"

Yield:
      "9 cups"

False

Snowman pancakes- inspired by a picture I saw on Pinterest.  I used the Shake N Pour by Bisquick.

False

Made these with Jake today.   This is the first time I've used my PC press, so wanted to start with their recipe. 

Classic Spritz Cookies

3             sticks  butter or margarine -- softened (used butter)
      1                cup  sugar
      1                     egg
      1           teaspoon  vanilla
      3 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour (14 ounces)
                            Colored sugar or sprinkles (optional)

Preheat oven to 375°F. In Classic Batter Bowl, beat butter on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Add sugar, egg and vanilla; beat well. Add flour, 1 cup at a time; mix well. Dough will be soft; do not refrigerate.
    Fill Cookie Press, fitted with disk of your choice, with dough using Medium Scoop. Press dough onto flat Baking Stone 1 inch apart. Decorate cookies with colored sugar or sprinkles, if desired.
    Bake 10-12 minutes or until firm but not brown. Cool 2 minutes on flat Baking Stone; remove to Stackable Cooling Rack. Repeat with remaining dough.
    Yield: 6-7 dozen cookies

Nutrients per serving: (2 cookies) Calories 120, Total Fat 7 g, Sodium 70 mg, Fiber 0 g

Cook’s Tips: For best results, weigh flour using Kitchen Scale.

Variation: Chocolate Spritz Cookies: Decrease flour to 3 cups. Increase sugar to 1 1/4 cups. Add 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to flour; blend well. Proceed as recipe directs.

False

These were delicious, but they are not whoopie pies.  They are sandwich cookies.    Instead of the listed filling I used 4oz cream cheese, 4T butter, a splash of lemon extract, zest and 1/2c confectioner's sugar.   a few drops of water to get it to the right consistency.    Even the non-gingerbread loving people liked them.

Gingerbread whoopie pies with lemon creme

3               cups  flour
      2          teaspoons  ground ginger
      1                     teapoon ground cinnamon
      1           teaspoon  baking soda
         1/4      teaspoon  ground nutmeg
         1/4      teaspoon  salt
      1 1/2         sticks  unsalted butter -- at room temperature
         3/4           cup  brown sugar -- packed
         1/2           cup  molasses
      1                     egg
      2          teaspoons  vanilla
         1/4           cup  granulated sugar (next time would use raw sugar)

Filling
      1                jar  marshmallow fluff -- (7 ounce)- omitted (used 1/2c confectioner's sugar)
         1/2                a stick unsalted butter -- at room temperature
      4             ounces  cream cheese -- at room temperature
      1           teaspoon  lemon extract
      1           teaspoon  lemon zest

In a large bowl, mix together the flour, spices, baking soda, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.

In a stand mixer (or medium bowl) beat the butter until softened. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the molasses, egg, and vanilla. Beat until blended. Add the flour mixture and mix it until well-combined. Remove the dough from the mixer and wrap it in plastic wrap, allowing it to chill in the refrigerator at least 4 hours.

Once you are ready to bake the dough, preheat the oven to 350. Place 1/4 cup of granulated sugar in a shallow bowl. Form the dough into 1-inch sized balls and roll the balls in the sugar. Arrange the rolled balls 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet.

Bake 8 minutes, until the edges of the cookies are just turning golden. Do not overcook, as the cookies become too crisp for the filling. Cool the cookies on a wire rack.

To make the lemon filling: In a large bowl, beat the marshmallow fluff, butter, cream cheese, lemon extract and lemon zest until fluffy.

Assemble the whoopie pies by sandwiching the lemon filling between two cookies. Store the whoopie pies in the refrigerator or freezer until needed.

Source:
      "http://www.mccormick.com/MCC/Layouts/RecipePrintFull.aspx?id={28F08731-9019-4BDC-8127-47B935B02765}"

False

My birthday cake-  yellow Betty Crocker cake mix, Martha Stewart's pastry cream, doubled and 1c heavy cream boiled and 1/2c semi sweet chocolate for the ganache.   Jake asked for seconds, something he's never done with cake before.   

Martha Stewart's Pastry Cream

1                cup  milk
         1/2                vanilla bean (used 2t vanilla)
         1/4             c  +1T  sugar
      3                     egg yolks
      1         tablespoon  cornstarch
      1         tablespoon  flour
      1           teaspoon  unsalted butter  (Per Gale Gand -- I stirred this in)

Scald milk -- bean and 1/4c sugar.  In separate bowl, beat yolks with 1T sugar until thick.  Sprinkle in cornstarch and flour and continue beating until well mixed.  Remove bean.  Beat half of milk into egg yolk mixture.  Combine with remaining milk and quickly bring
                            to a boil, whisking rapidly.  Remove from heat and pour into bowl to cool.  Rub top with butter to prevent skin. Cover with plastic wrap and cool

False

Wicked good chocolate donuts, still love my Norpro mini pans.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate Cake Mini Donuts

FOR THE DOUGHNUTS:
      1                cup  All-purpose Flour
         1/3          cups  Unsweetened Cocoa
         1/2      teaspoon  Baking Soda
         1/4      teaspoon  Salt
         1/2          cups  Buttermilk
         2/3          cups  Granulated Sugar
      1              whole  Large Egg
      2        Tablespoons  Unsalted Butter -- melted
      1           teaspoon  Vanilla
                            FOR THE GLAZE:
         1/4          cups  Unsalted Butter
      2        Tablespoons  Milk
      1 1/2       teaspoon  Light Corn Syrup
      1           teaspoon  Vanilla Extract
         1/3          cups  Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
      1                cup  Powdered Sugar -- Sifted

Coat doughnut pan or mini muffin pan with cooking spray or brush with vegetable shortening.

Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.

In a separate bowl mix buttermilk, sugar, egg, butter, and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; whisk smooth. Spoon into a large plastic bag with cut off corner or cake decorating bag with large tip. Squeeze batter into pan, about 2/3 full.

Bake at 325°F for 8-9 minutes, until doughnuts spring when lightly pressed. Cool in pan for 3 minutes, then carefully turn onto cooling rack.

Chocolate Glaze:
    Combine butter, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla in a small bowl or double boiler and heat over medium heat (or microwave 50% power for 90 seconds) till butter is melted. Add chocolate and whisk till melted. Turn off heat, add powdered sugar and whisk till smooth. Place mixture over a bowl of warm water (to keep it soft) and dip doughnuts immediately.

Allow glaze to set 30 minutes before serving.

Source:
      "http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/chocolate-cake-mini-doughnuts/?print=1#"

False

I had a little extra time so thought I would peek in here as I hadn't seen any of your wonderful reviews.

Jolene, your cake looks wonderful...and belated happy birthday to you! It looks a bit like Boston cream cake gone deluxe! YUM

False

Thank you for the birthday wishes Linda!   Haven't really been cooking much of anything new, need to pull out my stuff and get some inspiration   :)  

False

Missed posting these at Christmas, saw them on Pinterest, they were a big hit here-

* Exported from MasterCook *

Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie n’ Oreo Fudge Brownie Bar

1                cup  butter -- (2 sticks) softened
      1                cup  granulated sugar
         3/4           cup  light brown sugar
      2              large  eggs
      1         Tablespoon  pure vanilla extract
      2 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour
      1           teaspoon  baking soda
      1           teaspoon  salt
      2               cups  milk chocolate chips -- (12 ounces)
      1                pkg  Double Stuffed Oreos
      1                     Family Size (9×13) Brownie mix (used the Milk Chocolate variety)
         1/4           cup  hot fudge topping -- (omitted)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream the butter and both sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well to thoroughly combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt, then slowly incorporate into the mixer until the flour is just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread the cookie dough in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish that’s been lined with wax paper and sprayed with cooking spray. Top with a layer of Oreos. Mix together brownie mix, adding an optional 1/4 cup of hot fudge topping to the mix. Pour the brownie batter over the cookie dough and Oreos. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes.

To half this recipe for an 8×8 brownie mix, just half the chocolate chip cookie dough ingredients. Enjoy!

Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/new-recipes/ultimate-chocolate-chip-cookie-n-oreo-fudge-brownie-bar.html#ixzz1abfM1v4F

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream the butter and both sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed for 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well to thoroughly combine. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt, then slowly incorporate into the mixer until the flour is just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread the cookie dough in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish that’s been lined with wax paper and sprayed with cooking spray. Top with a layer of Oreos. Mix together brownie mix, adding an optional 1/4 cup of hot fudge topping to the mix. Pour the brownie batter over the cookie dough and Oreos. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes.

To half this recipe for an 8×8 brownie mix, just half the chocolate chip cookie dough ingredients. Enjoy!

Source:
      "http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/new-recipes/ultimate-chocolate-chip-cookie-n-oreo-fudge-brownie-bar.html"

False