Farm Journal favorite recipes | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Farm Journal favorite recipes

Last post Jan 31, 2013 7:10 PM by sauregurke . 44 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 123
  • Farm Journal favorite recipes
    Well, I haven't been on in a while and thought I would start a unique post of Farm Journal recipes and then I get here and see there is one going on now for FJ desserts. Great minds think alike?! Anyway, I have been trying some FJ recipes lately and thought we could post our favorites. I'll start:

Corn with Cream Cheese

1/4 c. milk
    1 3-oz pkg. cream cheese
    1 T. butter
    1/2 t. salt
    1/8 t. pepper
    2 12-oz cans whole kernel corn, drained

COmbine milk, cream cheese, butter, salt and pepper in saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and is blended. Add corn and heat through. Makes 6 servings.

Also, I made "Brownies for a Crowd" last weekend and was bombarded for the recipe. People were practically fighting over the last brownie in the pan! I'll try to get that one posted later today.

Good day!
    False
  • RE: Farm Journal favorite recipes
    This sounds really good. I've copied and pasted to my recipe book. I believe I'll add this to my menu for tonight.

Thanks for sharing.

Nell
    False
    anybody else? puhleeze.... I was so excited to finally start a thread and now it's a dud.
    False
    This is from Farm Journal's Best-ever Recipes.There are so many recipes from this book that I make, and this is a favorite, especially if you're having a lot of people in, it's make ahead!
    Overnight Tossed Salad

6 cups chopped lettuce
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. sugar
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    6 hard cooked eggs, sliced (I use 4)
    1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen peas, thawed (2 cups)
    1/2 lb. bacon, crisp cooked and crumbled (I use 6 slices)
    10 sliced mushrooms
    1/2 cup sliced green onions and tops
    1/2 cup sliced celery
    2 cups shredded swiss cheese (I use 1/2 c. mozzarella)
    1 1/4 c. mayonnaise or salad dressing (I use 1/2 sour cream, 1/2 mayo)

Place half the lettuce in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt, sugar and pepper. Top with layer of eggs, then peas, bacon, remaining lettuce, mushrooms, green onion, celery and cheese. Spread mayonnaise evenly over the top to cover. Place tight cover on bowl (I use plastic wrap), and refrigerate 24 hours.Toss just before serving. Makes 8 servings as a main dish, 12 as a side dish. Jan.
    Note: the recipe didn't call for mushrooms, I just put them in. Also I do not toss the salad, I tell people to just dig in, right down to the bottom. Enjoy!
    False
    this is delicious chicken ..a little work but a nice treat once & a while... you fry it to brown then bake it..give it a try!!!!

Crusty Fried Chicken

3 ( 3 lb) broiler-fryers..cut in pieces
    2 pks garlic salad dsg mix (like good season)-I'm not always able to find this so I use one pkg of italian dsg and add some granulated garlic& paprika to taste
    3 tbs flour
    2 tsp salt
    1/4 c lemon juice
    2 tbs soft butter Or reg.margarine
    cooking oil
    1 cup milk
    1 1/2 cup pancake mix

wipe chix pieces w/ a damp papertowel..combine salad dsg mix,flour & salt in a small bowl. add lemon juice and butter, mix to a smooth paste.Brush chicken on all sides w/ spice paste. store coated chix in refrig over night.
    about 1 1/2 hour before serving heat 1/4 inch-1/2 inch oil in lg skillet.
    dip chicken in milk, then coat w/ pancake mix..lightly brown in hot oil. when browned place in a shallow baking pan ,one layer deep.
    spoon half of remaining dipping milk over chicken. cover w/ foil.
    Bake at 375 x 30 mins. remove foil, baste w/ drippings and bake 20-30 more minutes.
    False
    Yea...thanks for the posts!
    False
    Hi my, I love Farm Journal cook books, my favorites are too many to post but I did not want you to think your post was not interesting, I can't get on too often but I will hunt up my FJ cookbook and pick a few,.okay....Shirley
    False
    Hi, I'm new here, I just loved the Farm Journal Cookbooks. I haven't made this in quite a while. You really have to love oranges.

Orange Chicken with Toasted Almonds

4 lg. whole chicken breasts split (l lb)
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1 (12 oz.) can water
    1 lg. (12 oz.) can frozen orange juice concetrate thawed
    1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
    1/3 cup dry sherry (optional)

Season chicken with salt & pepper. In 2 large frying pans, brown breasts in butter on both sides over med. heat. (I only use my elec. skillet). Transfer all chicken to 1 pan. Add orange juice concentrate and water. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 min.,or until chicken is tender.
    Remove chicken to serving platter. Sprinkle with toasted almonds, keep warm. Cook remaining liquid in pan over high heat stirring until reduced to consistency of heavy cream, about 5 min. (Sauce may brown slightly) If you wish, add the sherry and stir to blend. Pour sauce over chicken.
    Serves 8
    NOTE: To toast slivered almonds - sprinkle on baking sheet and lightly brown in 350 degree oven, stir occasionally.
    To use whole chickens: substitute 2 (2 1/2 to 3 lbs) frying chicken cut up. Cook sauce for 30 min. instead of 20. Serves 8

This makes a good company dish, watch that the sauce does not burn, as the orange juice contains sugar.
    Enjoy
    False
    I don't own any Farm Journal cookbooks, but the recipes posted sure look good! Thanks!
    False
    False

Some of these sound good. I have never heard of farm journal cookbooks.

Carrie
    False
    FARM JOURNAL was a magazine printed especially for farm families. There were always good recipes in those magazines. I believe it was in the late 50's and during the 60's that they started a FARM JOURNAL Book Club. (Cookbooks only). It was fabulous and the books were very reasonable with recipes only by farm women. I have many of those books and use them a lot. I will try to post something.
    Perhaps this should be kept bumped for others that must hunt for something to post.
    Opal
    False
    Bump
    False
    From Farm Journal's Homemade Bread Cookbook

RICH HOT ROLLS

3/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup shortening
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tsp salt
    2 pkgs. active dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
    4 1/4 to 4 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    2 eggs

*Scald milk; add shortening, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
    *Sprinkle yeast on warm water; stir to dissolve.
    *Add 1 1/2 cups flour to milk mixture; beat well by hand or electric mixer at low speed 1 minute. Beat in eggs and yeast.
    *Gradually stir in enough remaining flour, a little at a time, to make a soft dough that leaves sides of bowl. Turn onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth, satiny and no longer sticky, 5 to 8 minutes.
    *Place in lightly greased bowl; invert dough to grease top. Cover and let uise in warm place until doubled, 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. Divide in half and shape as desired.Place in greased pans.
    *Brush tops lightly with melted butter; let rise until doubled, 30 to 45 mins.
    *Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) 12 to 15 min. Makes about 30 rolls, exact number depending on shape and size.
    VARIATIONS to this recipe follow:
    False
    VARIATIONS to RICH HOT ROLLS
    **PLAIN ROLLS: (less rich): Reduce sugar to 1/4 cup and shortening to 1/3 cup in recipe for Rich Hot Rolls.
    **CINNAMON ROLLS: Divide risen dough for Rich Hot Rolls in half. Roll each half into a 16x8"rectangle. Combine 1 cup sugar and 1TB. cinnamon. Spread half of the mixture on each rectangle. If you like, scatter 1/3 cup raisins over each rectangle. Roll lengthwise as for jelly roll; seal edges. Cut in 1" slices. Place cut side down, in 2 well greased 9x9x2" pans. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 30 t0 40 min. Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) 20 to 25 min. Remove to wire racks. Makes 32 rolls. Frost with confectioners sugar frosting if desired.
    **BUTERSCOTCH ROLLS: Use 1/2 of risen dough for Rich Hot Rolls. Roll dough to 16x8" rectangle. Brush with 1/4 cup melted butter. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup brown sugar combined with 1 tsp. cinnamon. Roll lengthwise as for jelly roll; seal edges. Cut in 1" slices.
    *Pour 1/4 cup melted butter into a 9x9x2" pan grease sides of pan. Stir 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 TB. light corn syrup into butter in pan;mix well. Heat slowly, stirring constantly, until mixture is syrupy and spreads evenly over bottom. Remove fron heat and sprinkle with 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans.
    *Place rolls, cut side down, over syrup mixture. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30 to 45 mins. Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) about 20 minutes. Cool 3 minutes in pan; then invert on rack (Place waxed paper under rack to catch any drippings.) Makes 16 rolls
    False