Food to pack for vacation.... | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Food to pack for vacation....

Last post Aug 15, 2008 12:48 PM by kjrusty . 14 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • Food to pack for vacation....

Hi, I'm going away with friends in September to Virginia Beach, they are paying for the "staying" part of the vacation...My question is...any ideas what to take for food or make. As everyone else, money's VERY tight and I can't afford to be going out to eat the whole week. I'm bringing my coffee pot, like to have a bigger pot then in the rooms. Thought about taking my small crock pot, and of course lunch meat, but the lunch meat will get "boring" all week. There is a small fridge, but that's it....Any ideas---would help. Thank You, Kathy Jo

False
  • Re: Food to pack for vacation....

DH & I vacationed earlier this year.  In an effort to cut down or eating expenses, we packed a cooler with alot of stuff:

Pudding cups (the kind that doesn't have to be refrigerated)

Cookies/Chips

Homemade bread and sandwich fixins (I packed mayo and mustard in little containers)

Fruit cups

You could take bagels for breakfasts, and even use them for some sandwiches.

Depending on how much room you have, you could do a small crockpot and take stuff for tacos, fajitas, etc.  I bet if you searched for crockpot meals, you could find a hoard of stuff you could make.   Make the meal stuff ahead of time and freeze it, then all you have to do is heat it up in the crockpot.  You could have some soup, or even make spaghetti - mix the cooked noodles and sauce all together, then just heat it in the crockpot.  Hotdogs would do great in a crockpot.  Or sausages.  Meatballs w/ some BBQ sauce, then make meatball sandwiches.  We did this at work a couple times in the crockpot.  It worked great.

Are you doing all the meals?  See if they're staying in a hotel that serves free breakfast - that helped us out alot - IF we remembered to get up and get to it in time!

False
    Check out my blog, www.mycountrycupboard.blogspot.com to see how I do it!

You can make up some snack foods like cookies.  Some breads, buy some nuts, trail mix any kind of snack that you can buy a big amount of and divide it up into snack baggies or small containers to eat.  This way you won't have to stop and buy them at a convience store.  Chips in a big bag would be better than buying small bags, you can also divide those up before hand or as you eat.  It's easy though when you already have them divided to just hand out.  I have bought the cheaper sandwich bags that don't zip and used tape to close them up. 

We don't travel a whole lot so I'm not much help.  Oh, PB and Jelly are good ones to take.  Take a loaf of bread, a butter knife and keep the jelly in the cooler w/the meats & drinks. 

Hugs and good luck.

Angie

False
    Hugs, Angie Visit my blog http://5kidsmyhusbandandme.blogspot.com/

Like Miriam said you could take things for Tacos (already have the meat cooked up and in a ziploc).  You could do the same for anything that you have to have ground beef for.  You can also leave it frozen to help w/the cooler.  I always have cooked up packages in the freezer.  You can also cook up your chicken ahead of time and freeze it and just thaw it out and throw it in the crockpot w/whatever.  We like to cook chicken w/Cream of Chicken Soup and Cheddar Cheese soup-it's great. 

Angie

False
    Hugs, Angie Visit my blog http://5kidsmyhusbandandme.blogspot.com/

Wow...already so many ideas...see good thing I asked, never would have thought of taco's and anything ground beef...I do have spagetti and sauce already in the freezer!!  Thank you all so much for the ideas and the snack one's divied in smaller bags is good, also. When I go to the store I can't believe how much those "little" bags cost...Again, thank you...Kathy Jo

False

We go up to Canada to fish nearly every summer.  It's a 2 day trip. We always stay in a hotel with continental breakfast, and  picnic for the rest of the meals..  Once we get there, we cook our own meals. When we travel other places we try to rent a hotel with a kitchenette so we can cook our own food.  For on the road picnics we take summer sausage, cheese, crackers, hard boiled eggs,  veggie slices, fruit in season and Pringle's chips as they tend to travel better.  My mother-in-law usually bakes cookies and packs them in a coffee can.  YUMMY! Our first day on the road we breakfast on hard boiled eggs, blueberry muffins and fruit in season.  Of course, in Canada it's fish for dinner, but when we travel other places and stay in hotel rooms with kitchenettes, I stick to the same kinds of breakfast and lunch food we would normally eat at home, and rely more on quick but cheap convenience foods for supper. You don't want a lot of cooking and cleanup on vacation, so this is the time to whip up Tuna Helper, Hamburger Helper, Spaghetti with Ragu Sauce, or maybe even a Stauffers frozen casserole.  If you happen to spy some yummy local produce in season, you can always stop and buy and serve it with dinner.  I have done that with blueberries, corn, melons, peaches, cherries, etc on my travels.  I usually make a big salad and a bag of sliced veggies for our vegetable so that I do not have to make one every night.  I keep the emphasis on quick and easy to clean up.  If there is some great local food in the area you are traveling though, budget a little money for it.  Local food specialties are a great way to learn about the people and culture in the area you're visiting.

False
    Renate

Take your coffee pot, a small crockpot and maybe an electric skillet. I wouldn't take food. Where you are going there must be grocery stores so why not buy the stuff down there and fix it where you atre .staying. Seems much simpler to me and the prices may be the same as they are at home.

False

If you are only on the road one or two nights you can also make up the sandwiches and pack in tupperware and you can freeze most things like chicken salad make up the sandwiches and pack with crust off for treats like you are making for a party. Then freeze with wax paper between layers put in cooler frozen. Fresh made cookies and muffins or cupcakes also put in tupperware travels well. I make sandwiches up at Thanksgiving when I drive to my daughters in Colorado and also bring my drinks. I just stop in the 21 hour drive for gas and bathroom stops. The 100 calorie packs are also good, pretzels, nuts and grapes make great travel compaions. If you ask the hotels they may also have small microwaves in the rooms with the fridge. Bring plenty of paper plates and plastic forks and spoons. Napkins and diaper wipes are great to bring to. If you stop at picnic area's also a tablecloth is good to cover the table before you eat. I pack this all last where I can get it easy when I stop. Snacks in the front seat or a small snack sack with each child. Cups that plug into the car are really good for cups of fast coffee or tea, you can carry your instant cream and sugar in the front with you and small bottles of water.

False
    Laura

My husband and I used to travel a lot. We mainly took road trips on the cheap!  We always took a cooker, our coffee pot, an electric skillet, a small crockpot, and some coffee mugs, cereal bowls, and a couple of plates along with silverware. When we got to our destination, we would go to the grocery store and buy groceries. We would eat one meal a day in a restaurant, and the rest of the time prepared our meals in our room. I would make oatmeal in the crockpot overnight for our breakfast, we would buy bagels and muffins. We would make scrambled eggs in the electric skillet. We would also have soup or chili and crackers, You just have to use your imagination.  Make it easy, and quick, because you don't want to spend your vacation cooking!

False

Again, my THANKS to ALL. I never thought about the electric skillet...what a wonderful idea. I know that I would get alot of suggestions...I have my "vacation" note book beside me and writing down all these great "TIPS"...Thank you all so much...Kathy Jo

False

you can bake potatoes in the crock pot.  either have as a main dish, top with canned chili or serve with a small piece of ham.

False

If lunch meat gets boring, which it usually does after one lunch, I found a way that everyone will eata sandwhich. If they are already made. Take a long loaf of french bread, or other, and cut it open lengthwise.  Make a big sub sanwhich with everything you like. I add Italian dressing, and sometimes mayo. Cut it in serving sizes and wrap each one individually. All you have to do for 2 or 3 days, is just reach in the fridge and get one.No dragging all the sandwhich fixings out and spreading them on dresser and bed. Especially good for grabbing and taking to the beach or on an unexpected outing. You can also do wraps this way with tortilla shells. Because they sit in the fridge the flavors mix, and they are better than a fresh made sandwhich.

False

Another great tip...from elsgrandy...I was thinking about the tortilla wraps, need to search for recipes on them. Believe it or not, I've never tried them. My one friend makes them all the time for parties, but she usually puts olives in them...and I'm not a olive fan...Thanks again, Kathy Jo

False

We have done alot of traveling over the years and  I have found that it is best to take snack items, drinks, cereal, breakfast bars, crackers, some fruit (I don't recommend bananas unless you will eat them quickly). I've taken onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce for sandwiches and salads.As long as space is not a problem for the items you will travel with you could buy these items on sale at home and probably get a better deal. Many times I have just placed a large box or laundry basket  somewhere in the house and placed items bought for the trip in there so they would be ready to go when we were. By taking some snack items you have something to munch on while traveling (a must for traveling with my dh, he doesn't like to make a lot of stops). A small cooler packed with cold drinks and sandwiches while you are on ther road is also a good idea and you can use the cooler to take drinks and snacks to the beach with you. I would suggest that you go to a grocery store when you get settled and pick up sandwich items, bread, deli items, yogurt and other staples after you get there. VA beach can be an expensive place to visit. I love it though, mostly because of the boardwalk, one of my favorite beaches.  Our last visit was about 3 years ago when we were traveling from picking up our dd in NYC after she did a summer internship. We bought groceries at a Food Lion store near the beach area. Have fun on your trip.

False

Thanks, Marasmom, I was only there once and like you...I love the boardwalk. And thanks about the Food Lion, I didn't see one last time I was there, or any store. Guess we didn't venture far enough. Also, for the tips...the laundry basket sounds like a great idea, so everything will be in one place....Kathy Jo

False