cheap things to make with flour tortilla shells | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

cheap things to make with flour tortilla shells

Last post Sep 05, 2008 4:10 PM by tootie82 . 5 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • cheap things to make with flour tortilla shells

here is one that we use all the time cause we like thin crust pizza.

I buy the large flour tortilla shells that come in a pack.

next I spread some  tomato paste,or spagh. sauce ,barbacue sauce ,or what ever kind of sauce I can find in fridge. Then I put what ever I have on hand in fridge  to put on it .sometimes it is ham or turkey breast.sometimes it is crumbles up bacon ,onions  etc,,any kind of cheese it i have it anyway  bake at 350 until crisp/It usually only takes about 10 minutes once oven is heated up.my husband loves those thin crust california pizzas..they were $2.50 at walmart .(2 bites and they are gone) well he thinks these are much better .and we really save some bucks...

for  a fancy dessert I get they small ones and get some apple pie filling (but you can use any you like )I put some in middle ,,roll up like a burrito and saute in skillet with a little butter until golden brown .when you are plating it .drizzle some carmel topping over it and just a small dab of cool whip .or you  can just sprinkle powdered sugar on it if that is all you have.   At a tex mex restaraunt my sister goes to .she said they have someting similar to it and on the menu it is $4.99 can you believe that .  I can make a bunch for that .

I also use the small flour tortilla shells with hot dogs.first I heat hot dogs  all the way through.then I lay  the shells out .put a whole hot hog in middle .add some chopped onion and cheese  rol up and fry until shell is brown and cheese is melted..

I also use them for making apple dumplings.

i just core the apples put one in the center of each shell (the large floured shells) after I have done that .I put 2 pieces of unwrapped carmels and some chopped nuts in middle of each cored apple ,bring tortilla shell up and roll down and secure with toothpick .i usually make 6 at a time and for the sauce I take 2 cups brown sugar ,I cp water .some ground cinnamon .mix it up and pour over apples .cover and bake at 325 until you can run a knife through apples inside.once it feels like apples are soft .i uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.you can tweek this recipe to your liking     ..dont forget to take toothpicks out before serving..       

False
  • Re: cheap things to make with flour tortilla shells

I cut them in long strips and use for dumplings for chicken and dumplings.  Big Smile

False

We have a mexican restaurant here that has these wonderful cream cheese chimichangas. They are about 3 inches long. They are basically cheescake filling wrapped up in a small flour tortilla, then dipped into some kind of a sweet batter, then deep fried and sprinkled with powdered sugar. OMG they are SO GOOD!!! This may be what your sister was speaking about. I really need to learn how to make these, because my hubby loves them!! KC in AR

False
    K.Coats

You can make your own tortilla chips by baking the with some salt and then breaking into pieces.  I also like to make cinnamon sugar tortilla chips, my grandchildren love those.

Put leftover turkey and dressing in a tortilla,  Roll up.  Bake until heated through.  Serve with leftover turkey gravy. 

False

I always have flour tortillas on hand... 2 of my favorite things to do with them are:

spread them with spreadable margerine or butter.. sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, cut into wedges and bake until crispy.. bout 5-6 min at 350... keep an eye on em.. they go fast.... they are realllly good, try them with a fruit salsa too.. really yummy!!!

We also like to make quesadillas, i use whatever lunchmeat i have.. turkey is especially good, some cheese and cook em in a fry pan sprayed with cooking spray.. makes a good quick lunch:)

False

I like to spread flavored cream cheese (Garden veggie) on tortilla shells and just roll them up.  We use them alot as well.  My DD's love tacos and they don't like hard shell.  I also like to cut them in strips and use them in salads, especially taco salads.

False