Substitute for vanilla beans | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Substitute for vanilla beans

Last post Nov 11, 2008 11:40 AM by debosoho . 5 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • Substitute for vanilla beans

Does anyone know how much Vanilla extract can be substituted for Vanilla Beans.  I can't afford these things !  Some recipes call for a whole bean, and even half of the bean - how much extract can I use?

False
    Debber Jeanne ( as family & friends call me)
  • Re: Substitute for vanilla beans
    I found these recommendations on two different cooking/recipe websites (maybe, Epicurious and Recipezaar).  Perhaps, the difference is in the strength of the vanilla.

1 Vanilla bean - if you are unable to locate a whole bean, substitute PURE vanilla extract; 2 teaspoons

1 (1 inch) vanilla bean = 1 tsp vanilla extract

False

I used to be a vanilla snob.  If it wasn't pure vanilla I wouldn't use it.  It's been proven that artificial vanilla  and pure vanilla has no noticible taste difference when the food is baked.  I now use the better quality artificial vanilla in baked goods and save the real stuff for the non baked foods like whipped cream, ice cream, frosting, etc.  

Good quality Mexican vanilla extract and whole beans are expensive just as any pure vanilla is anywhere.  The label may say 100% vanilla or pure vanilla and it is, pure 100% artifical vanilla.  The labeling laws aren't much in Mexico.  The main thing is be sure there is no coumarin in the ingredients list.  A good price guage to judge a good price for Pure Mexican vanilla extract is it usully sellls for about $6 for 4.5 ounces. 

False

Now I do notice the difference in my baked goods if I use imitation vanilla - my husband won't eat it for one thing.  I only buy vanilla extract, but I get it at Sam's Club in a 16 oz bottle - it is I believe Tone's brand - price varies, but it is usually 1/2 to 1/4 of the price of Vanilla extract at the grocery that you buy in 2 or 4 oz bottles - I think last time I got it for $9 or $10. And it lasts pretty much forever or at least year with how much I bake Wink.  I won't use margarine either in my baking - only butter.  I can taste the difference on that one too.  I guess I am a vanilla and butter snobHuh?

False

I can tell the difference in good artificial vanilla and the not so good.  Tones and Watkins make an excellent artifical vanilla.  I use Madagascar vanilla in all my unbaked goods.  I use to use nothing but real butter in all my baked goods too but found that Parkay margarine has the same flavor as butter in baked goods so I use 1/2 real butter and 1/2 Parkay.  Newbies:  You can  not use spread to sub for butter or margarine. 

False

Thanks bunches - I've written this down and will take it home to tape inside the cupboard door!

False
    Debber Jeanne ( as family & friends call me)