What to do with all this zucchini?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What to do with all this zucchini??

Last post Aug 02, 2009 7:51 PM by Trophywife . 17 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • What to do with all this zucchini??

I have a ton of zucchini in my garden. I have started to shred it and freeze it for use in later baking recipes. But, I am wondering if anyone has a side dish recipe for zucchini that can be frozen?

Or do you just slice it, freeze it and then use it to make your recipe at that time?

How do you freeze it? Do you boil it first? Then make it into your side dish?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Kathy

False
  • Re: What to do with all this zucchini??

OOOOhhhh Kathy here's what we do: chop the zucchini in bite sized chunks. Stick it in a BBQ basket (when you BBQ) and add bite sized chunks of purple onion, cherry tomatoes (don't have to cut those) and any other veg you have:  eggplant, carrots, etc.I spray the whole basket  with olive oil  (just cause I can turn the basket and all the vegs get some oil onit, enough to keep the seasonings on them) and  shake seasoned salt over it (it cooks off the sides of the basket so  don't worry bout  that) Cook over the BBQ while the rest of dinner is cooking-- makes an awesome side dish and no dishes to wash!! Sometimes when you pull it off the BBQ and plate it, shake shredded cheddar over it---mmmmnnnn that's what we do with zucchini (and  we make breads, muffins, etc!)

False

"Practice random acts of kindness"

Tomato Zucchini casserole

1-1/2 cups grated cheeddar cheese

1/3 cup parmasan cheese

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

2 cloves minced garlic

salt and pepper to taste

2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced

5 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced

1/4 cup butter

2 tbsp. finely chopped onion

3/4 cup bread crumbs

Lightly grease a 9x9 pan. In a large bowl combine cheeses, oregano,basil and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Arrange half of the zucchini slices in the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese mixture on top. Arrange half of the tomatoes and another 1/4 of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir on onions,and cook until soft and translucent....do not brown. Stir in breadcrumbs. Cook until they have absorbed the butter. Sprinkle mixture over top of casserole.  Cover loosely with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil andbake until the top is crusty and brown and veggies are tender...approximately another 20 minutes.

False

Last summer we had the same problem. We love zucchini that is breaded & fried (although to make this healthier we don't actually fry it - I bake it on my Pampered Chef stone). Since we love that dish I sliced breaded & baked up several zucchinis. I put them on a cooling rack when they came out of the oven. Let them cool completely. Then I placed them in freezer bags and froze them. It worked wonderful!! When we wanted "fried" zucchini for a sidedish I could pull a bag out of the freezer, place some succhini slices on a stone & bake at 400 for about 10-15 minutes. Since they are already cooked you really just need to heat them through. Also by baking on the stone they come out crisp. When I tried to cook a couple on a regular cookie sheet they were soggy.

Liz

www.thisandthatbyliz.blogspot.com

False

This is one of the most versitile vegetables ever planted!  Use it for pickles and relish.  Makes a great soup!  Slice, blanch and freeze to saute in butter with onions (yes you can saute it once it has thawed even though it will not be quite as crisp)  It will also take the place of some fats in some baking recipes (remove some of the water first).  After you thaw your frozen zucchini you can puree it in a blender/processor and use it to thicken soups. 

One of our favorites is Summer Squash Soup in which you can use any of the "summer" type squashes.  I also freeze the cooked pureed squash/onion mixture before any milk or spices are added using just enough chicken stock to make pureeing easier for later soup.  All you have to do is continue with the recipe when you thaw it.  We find that about one quart of the pureed mixture makes enough soup for four people.  Here is the recipe for it:

SUMMER SQUASH SOUP

4T butter

1 lg. Onion, thinly sliced

½t cumin

2# summer squash sliced

1t dry mustard

3C water or chicken stock

1t ground corriander

3/4 C light cream

1t ground cloves

Kosher or sea salt to taste

1t ground cinnamon

½t turmeric

1/4t cayenne pepper

2t Peeled & minced fresh ginger(I use 1/4t ground ginger)

In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and cook onion and squash until softened and translucent - about 10 minutes. In a separte bowl, mix dry ingredients plus fresh ginger. Add to onion/squash mixture. Add 1C of the water or stock and cook about 5 minutes. Add remaining water or stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and puree until smooth. Stir in cream and season to taste with salt. If soup is too thick for your taste add more cream or milk.

False
    Sue

I grow the zucchini "cocozelle" specifically because it freezes well and maintains it shape. It does not turn mushy. I will blanche it and pack it in freezer bags. Or I will part cook it in a tomato sauce and then freeze it. I  find it makes a welcome addition to winter soups and stews. Just add the defrosted cocozelle about 15 minutes before the end of cooking time. I also add defrosted cocozelle to a variety of baked pasta dishes.

False

Could you tell me where you get your seed for this variety of zucchini called "cocozelle"?  It is one I have never seen in any of the catalogs or stores here in the New Englad region.  I would very much like to try one which does not get mushy from the freezing process.

False
    Sue

I buy it at Walmart...American Seeds brand.

False

This sounds awesome - can't wait to try it!

Andrea

False

Try to give it away amd plant less next year

False

Great idea, sharing. My objective in planting so much was to supplement my winter food budget. I got some great ideas from here, looks like I'll have plenty for winter and some to share!

False
    My mom sent me home with a bunch of zucchini after I came back from my last visit. I froze it so I could use it on a day when I don't feel like cooking. We always put zucchini in our goulash (or as mom calls it, everything we've had all week!). We use any type of meat (even meatloaf), corn, zucchini, rice, celery, yellow, green, or red onions (or combinations), fresh or canned tomatoes (or just tomato sauce, depending on what was left in the pantry), and just about anything else that sounded good. Served with cornbread. Best goulash ever!
    False

Not sure about freezing techniques....but kraftfoods.com has an awesome looking recipe featured today. The only ingredients are zucchini slices, red and yellow bell pepper slices, zesty italian dressing and parmesan cheese....looks yummy!

False
    Visit Me! http://afewofmyfavethings.blogspot.com/
    To freeze zucchini, just make sure it's sliced and blanched. Freeze them on a cookie sheet so they won't stick together, then put them in a freezer bag. It only takes them like ten, fifteen minutes to freeze.
    False
    SOUNDS GOOD. WHAT SEASONINGS DO YOU USE & DO YOU ADD ELBOW PASTA?
    False