Canning vegetable soup | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Canning vegetable soup

Last post Jul 31, 2009 1:28 AM by imspecl . 10 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • Canning vegetable soup

Dear friends,

Hope all is well with you.  My garden is just starting to bring forth some good stuff.  Picked at least a dozen zucchini.  My tomatoes are still green but just starting to turn to orange.  My green beans are ready to be picked.  Asking a question - have you ever canned vegetable soup.  I have a pressure canner but I have never done it.  I have used a pressure cooker years ago and understand the concept, but haven't canned using a pressure canner.  I have the blue ball book - and they said potatoes, carrots, beans, corn and tomato sauce.  Let me know what you have done and how it has worked.  Last winter I noticed soups being close to $2 which is ridiculous.  (Excuse me - I am beginning to sound like my grandmother).

Janet

False
  • Re: Canning vegetable soup

I can mixed vegetables seperate. Also can home made clear soup stock (beef and chicken, even pork) and both pints and quarts.

When I want to make soup I open the size I want and put it togther. Some times I cook potatoes to put in it, some times I cook stockwith soe rice and noodles,sometimes beans or lentils and noodles  then add the veggies plus leftovers.

That way I can vary the (vegetable) soup instead of always having the same.

Boy, canning jars have sur come up in price, so have lids. I am glad I bought a large amount of lids two yrs ago. Bought my jars years ago and added many by going to auctions ad yard sales whwere I got them (used) for $1.00 p dozen. Also had about 25+ dozen jars given to me by someone who cleaned out grandma's barn, all those are the good, heavy jars, not like the flimsy new ones now in the stores. Sometimes thriftshops also have jars, so do estate sales.

Buy your lids in thbe fall when canning season is over and the stores want to clear them out at reduced prices.

PS, I don't like canned potatoes and don't care for tomato juice or tomatoes in myveggie soup but like cream of tomato soup and love fresh tomatoes.

False

I never buy canned soup or broth, have not done so for almost 50 years, grew up without it and never missed it.

False

Hi Janet,

Sounds like your garden is doing really well!  Here in southeast MI, all we have had is rain, rain, rain, and really cold weather!  Cold nights (down to 48 two nights ago and generally in the low 50's lately)  and not much sun.  I have very large tomatoes coming, but they are still very green and I also have 5 zuchinni, and one eggplant which is getting nice and fat.  Can't wait until they are ripe.  But this cold has got to go!! Our average temperture is usually around 84 degrees!

As for the veggie soup, I also want to can some this year.  I don't like lima beans in mine and would like to replace them with green beans.  Just not sure how long to pressure cook this mixture when I do substitutions like this.  I hope someone out there can help us!!  I do like tomatoes, onions, celery, potatoes, sometimes corn when it is in season, etc.  My family just doesn't care for lima beans, so they are definetely out!

BTW, I don't like the prices on soups either!!  I usually buy them if I have a coupon or I buy the storebrands.  Soup prices are out of sight.  I think are grandmothers were very smart ladies-and yes, it is okay if we sound like them.  (I am one!!)

Hope your weather is better than ours!

Janet in wet, rainy, nasty, (did I say rainy?) cold MI

False

"The world is full of nice people.  If you can't find one, Be One!"

Nisham Panwar

Hi - hope you and your family are doing ok - I know you have had some uneasy times, as have many of us.  

You are on the right track with canning your garden veggies.  It takes work, but is going to really make a difference this winter when fuel, heating and electric bills are higher.  I have canned vegetable soup for years and want to share how I do it.  The lady who cans meat stock has a great idea that I am going to do - chicken and beef broth are very expensive and have a lot of added salt, so I will cook my chicken, and can the broth with less salt - I probably will add some seasonings to the broth before I can it.

On canning veggies with a mixture such as corn, beans, carrots, peas, onions, etc. always use the longest canning time for the vegetable in the mixture.  For example, corn takes a lot more time to pressure can than beans, so if you have corn in your mixture, follow the time for that instead of beans.  Also, I do add potatoes to my mixture because I have them on hand now, and will have to buy them this winter.  I keep the chunks of potato fairly large so they don't cook to mush.  

I add seasonings such as garlic powder, salt, pepper and maybe some basil or oregano.  When I can tomatoes, I make up several kinds of mixtures - for example, I can "stewed" tomatoes with celery, peppers and onions (again because I have everything but the celery on hand and it is cheaper now than in the winter).  Then. I can tomatoes for chili with chili seasoning, onions and peppers.  I make salsa with hot and green peppers, onions, garlic and seasonings.  I have a friend who buys the salsa mix and uses that - but, the package is $2.50 and I don't want to spend that when I can mix up my own at home.  

I also can unsweetened applesauce,sliced apples in juice, and zucchini relish which is absolutely wonderful on burgers.  Yes, its a lot of work, but is in my genetic makeup - my mom did this and her mom before her, etc.  There is a real "sense" of satisfaction when you put the jars of colorful canned goods in your pantry - much different than purchasing cans of veggies from the store. 

False
    Mary Beth Bristow

Thanks for all of the replies.  I appreciate the wisdom and suggestions I get from this group. 

Janet

False

I have never canned soup, but lots of other things.  When I make a big pot of soup for us, I usually freeze some in individual portions or for both of us.  It makes for an easy lunch or meal in the future.  Plus home made soups are much better than store bought products.And I can control the salt and seasonings.  I may make a few different kinds so we can have a variety.  It soon builds up, so you have a stash in the freezer.

False

I found this link for canning soup. 

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/soups.html

They have some other good canning recipes on there. 

My garden is so SLOW this year.  I'm starting to freak out about it.  The tomatoes are all still green.   I had such high hopes for this year's garden.  I am in Mid Missouri (zone 5) and we are having a very wet, cool summer!  Feels good but isn't so great for the garden veges.

Good luck with your soup.

JeannaMO

False

Thanks for the link. Very helpful information.  Now I need to find out my altitude.

Thanks again,

Janet

False

I'm no help.  I usually freeze my soup if it isn't eaten before I get it done.  Don't can a lot anymore.  Usually only do things that are hot bathed.  Not pressure cook canning.

False
    License

Mary Beth is correct - can your soup according to the item in the soup that takes the longest. I usually don't season with anything but salt and pepper as I've found the other (basil, italian,ect) all get stronger the longer you store the jars of soup. Simply add to your soup when you're heating it up.

Since I don't have a lot of freezer space, when meats are on sale I go into a cooking frenzie and make up a bunch of soups, stews, bbq meat, ect and can it. I also love the flavor of meat that's been grilled then canned with a bit of broth. I use it for casseroles, hot sandwiches, ect.

I rotate between dehydrating and canning veggies and fruits. I don't have lot of storage space and dehydrating is easily packaged and doesn't take up as much room as canned foods. This is my year for dehydrating. My 2 dehydraters are working overtime. I've zucchini in one as we speak.

False