What is a good food budget (per week) for 2 adults? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

What is a good food budget (per week) for 2 adults?

Last post Sep 21, 2010 1:25 PM by Heavens_IL . 16 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 12
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • What is a good food budget (per week) for 2 adults?
    My hubby & I are trying to work out a food budget and I have no idea where to start. I am trying to see how little we can spend on groceries and still eat healthy. (I just got off of a strict diet and i would like to make some healthy changes in our eating habits without spending much.) I've started a grocery price book, but not sure where to go from there.
    False
  • Re: What is a good food budget (per week) for 2 adults?

Only you can decide on what to plan for the meals on what you like to eat. Think of the "healthly" food you would like to eat. Make a list then start putting the items into a meal plan. Then pick and choose on what might fit your budget. Like..

Chicken breast,salad, fruit.....the list goes on..You have to decide how much you "truly" want to spend. Good luck!

False
    we are a pair of baby boomers trying to live on $28,000 a yr. so I try to stay under $60 per week for food & that includes household supplies...soap, cleaning shampoo, cat litter, canning supplies etc.etc. sometimes it's hard to do.
    False
    try the book Family Feasts for $75. a week. she advocates $75 per person per month. i would have to really get serious in order to accomplish that feat!
    False

I personally didn't like Family Feasts. It was a good starting point maybe with some good info but the recipes did not appeal to me. I plan my meals according ot the ad in my Wednesday paper. If there is a really good sale, I'll stock up and freeze it to save the following month. Read all you can about sale cycles. When things go on sale like turkey at the holiday. I'll buy an extra turkey and freeze it for 2-3 months, etc.

Good luck! Sometimes it not easy!

False

Visit my blogs:

www.everythingforkids.wordpress.com

www.partiespartiesparties.wordpress.com

Stop signs are NOT a suggestion! 

Talk Like A Pirate Day countdown banner

Dear Math: I am not your therapist...solve your own problems!

Hi! What a difficult situation - speaking from experince. There is an area here - Cooking for 2 - be sure to look it up!

Keep your eyes open - as everyone here will help you!

I still have one child (adult) at home some of the time - so I am having a hard time - I used to have family of 5 at home and cooked for 8 - always planning on leftovers....Now I cook for 4 - as I still like to have leftovers for lunch, etc.

I am concentrating on a budget as of recent and a few things I do (and I am no expert....)

1. Check my weekly grocer ads - and stock up on meat, etc. Think about what I can freeze or put away.....

2. Plan, plan, plan.....it makes all the difference and is worth it.

3.  Shop with a list - after planning meals for the week.

4. Use my local "counrty fresh" (vegie market) for fresh vegies, etc.

5. Aldi's - everyone reports - they are pleased with their finds - and I have found no different....

6. Cook from scratch...You wouldn't be here if you didn't like to cook - right?!

Good Luck - and we are for you.

Lilly

False

I would try for $75 a week to start with. If you meet your goal go for $60.

Janet

False

I tried the price book and it was a PITB. For now I would just concetrate on eating healthy. Find a month's worth of recipes you can stick to. Once you do that then you adjust according to what is on sale. At Safeway the sales rotate every 4 weeks. So if Best Foods is on sale now it will be again in 4 weeks. Fresh produce prices vary according to what is in season so get to be familiar with when that happens with the produce you like. Take advantage and freeze extra. I don't like cooking for just 2 people, it really seems like such a waste to me. Go ahead and cook a meal for 4 and then just freeze the 2nd half. This allows you to use up items before they go bad and saves you time when you don't feel like cooking. 

False

I can't give you a specific, suggested amount.  I'd suggest you watch the sales for the store's loss leaders & try & work what's on sale into your weekly menus.  And, buy fruits & veggies that are in season.  As far as healthy eating, not stopping for fast food or convenience foods is a start.  And, it depends on your personal eating preferences & habits.  You can make a big pot of soup for very little money & use up left over veggies in soup.  Or, make bean or split pea soup in the crock pot for an inexpensive meal with plenty of left overs.  Don't know your freezer space....if it's limited, don't over buy & have to throw food away....if you have a separate freezer, stock up & freeze left overs so you're not eating something several days in a row.  I find the vacuum sealer preserves food so much better & for much longer than using other methods.  You'll be able to keep meat, veggies, fruits/berries & left overs frozen solid without the ice build-up that can ruin foods.  Breakfast for dinner is quick & inexpensive for meals....make eggs, waffles, pancakes or French toast.  You didn't mention any health/diet restrictions....so don't know if you're limited to a few eggs per week or not? 

False

I want to add:

Be open to shopping at more than one store. Our Publix has Buy 1 Get 1 free deals each week. Some weeks are better than others and the B1G1 deals are better than regular price at Walmart. My Walmart is way cheaper on many things than Publix, however I will only buy meat at Publix or my local meat market. Honestly, the meat market for chicken, ground beef, pork tenderloin, pork chops and ribs are cheaper than Publix, except for steaks. I can get Porterhouse this week for $6.99/lb. which is cheap. I only buy that and ribeye, NY strips, etc. on sale at Publix. Milk is almost always cheapest at CVS. The last 2 weeks I've gotten it for $2.99/gal vs. $3.29 @ Publix. Seeing that we go through 4 - 5 gallons per week that saves me big, plus CVS is on my route and easy to get to.

I have to share a great deal. Publix had Kellogg's cereals 50% off this weekend so I stocked up, plus I had coupons for $1.50 off 2. I made out!

Good luck and let us know how you do! Remember...it's a work in progress.

False

Visit my blogs:

www.everythingforkids.wordpress.com

www.partiespartiesparties.wordpress.com

Stop signs are NOT a suggestion! 

Talk Like A Pirate Day countdown banner

Dear Math: I am not your therapist...solve your own problems!

Check out the www.hillbillyhousewife.com website and sign up for the free newsletter.  She has posted a menu (to feed 2-4 people) for $75 per week including a shopping list.

You might also check out www.livingonadime.com for very reasonable menus, shopping lists, and ideas.

We buy fresh produce at our local farmer's market all summer long and freeze it for later use.  It's healthier and cheaper than what you can find at the grocery stores.  And it really saves on the food dollar. 

Learn to use all your leftovers as well in other dishes so that one roast for example can serve for 3 meals.  That's a huge help on the food budget.

As the meat manager at your local grocery store when they mark downt he meat for "manager's specials."  Our local Kroger for example marks down everything cut the day before at 7:00 a.m. the next morning.  The savings are tremendous!  Sometimes as much as 75% to 80% off the label price.

False

Thanks to everyone for posting - I have learned to much! I am going to start by using the $75 as a guideline.

Sometimes is is hard because it's hard to spread the dollars when you see a good deal and may not use it for a few weeks or simply want to stock up. So I guess the idea is that over time $75. a week is the goal. This is a huge help to me.

I am new to cooking for two. In fact - I often have a third as my college son is here part of the time. I do like leftovers though, for lunches and dinners when my husband may be working nights and I then have a dinner or vice versa, or we are both working and can take our lunches as opposed to buying fast food.

Lilly Bug

False
    Thanks to everyone who posted. I love cooking, so cooking from scratch will be no problem. I will definitely check out the hillbilly housewife site. I normally just shop at FoodsCo, but I think the next time i shop, i'll try the Grocery Outlet and Cost Less. I recently purchased a whole turkey at 0.78/lb, so i'm happy to report that I think I'll be able to get quite a few dinners out of it.
    False

You didn't say if hubby was on any kind of diet or if he was a meat and potato man.  Will he eat left overs?  Soup is very healthy.  Here is a tip:  If you have any vegetables left over.  Keep a quart container in the freezer.  Each day add left over, also juice.  After a week or so make soup.  You will have your veggies.  I keep rice on hand.  Alittle meat, gravy or broth and I make gravy, with a pot of rice.  Very filling.  Hope that this helps.

False

Thanks to everyone for posting - I have learned to much! I am going to start by using the $75 as a guideline.

Sometimes is is hard because it's hard to spread the dollars when you see a good deal and may not use it for a few weeks or simply want to stock up. So I guess the idea is that over time $75. a week is the goal. This is a huge help to me.

I am new to cooking for two. In fact - I often have a third as my college son is here part of the time. I do like leftovers though, for lunches and dinners when my husband may be working nights and I then have a dinner or vice versa, or we are both working and can take our lunches as opposed to buying fast food.

Lilly Bug

I used to make up homemade "TV dinners" from leftovers of our dinners, label them, and keep them in the freezer. I bought special containers at the dollar store for just this purpose. When we needed a lunch to go, or someone needed a quick dinner, we just grabbed one of these. Saves a ton of money on lunches and fast food!

False