Golden Mushroom Soup | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Golden Mushroom Soup

Last post Oct 04, 2011 9:01 AM by snowyrivers . 12 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • Golden Mushroom Soup

Ideas Anyone???  I use Campbell's Golden Mushroom concentrate often in my cooking.  It is expensive for me to buy.  Does someone know how to make it from scratch?  Any other ideas?  Might there be another substitute?  Thank you so much for your help! M.

False
  • Re: Golden Mushroom Soup

I don't use any of the canned soups not only because of high sodium but also because oif the outrageous prices. Look on the list of ingredients on the can, it will tell you what is in the soup and you can make it yourself (withb less salt, home made chicken/turkey broth and part of a small can of mushrooms should be enough to make a quite a big pot of soup. I bought 1 lbs of dried mushrooms before they became too expensive and still have a gallon glass jar full left, They sure come in handy and are much more economical in price than buying canned. I bought mine from "Alison's Pantry" (.com) about 8 mo ago but they are higher priced now. Also bought a supply of dried red and green bell peppers as well as celery. I am going to the storethisafternoon, will look at a can of Golden Mushroom soup and try to figure out a way how to make it. When turkey wings are on sale I buy a BIG bunch and use a 16 qrt stockpot to make at least 8 to 9 qrts of stock to can. I remove some of the meat just when it is done and make creamed turkey, turkey spread for a few sandwiches and freeze some. The rest I leave in the soup until it is "dog meat" and too dry and tough to eat. Those turkey wings are cheaper than beef soup bones that have no meat on them.
    False

That's interesting.  I too use this soup a lot.

If you were going to have it on hand you would have to process it.  I think from what Crea says in a pressure cooker.  Am I right Crea?

It would have a beef base, there is tomato paste in it, mushrooms............

I tried to look on copycatrecipes but I don't think the website is running.

I too would like to figure this out.   And how to do it as a concentrate.

I'll keep looking and if you find out before me put a post up and I will do the same.

False

You could certainly make a cream sauce with beef stock, flour and butter and add mushrooms to that. But, I don't know if that would have the same flavor as the golden mushroom soup. Some things just can't be substituted.

False

Thanks for your reply.  If I turn off my computer, will I still be able to get back on this forum to see if you found anything?  I have a can of of the soup, but I don't really know how to figure out how much of anything I would put in.  It reminds me a little of the taste of vegetable beef baby food 25 years ago.  Do you think I would just start experimenting with all the ingredients on the back of the can?  Thanks for your help.

False

This soup also contains wine. That was the big seller when it first came on the market in the mid 60s.

BJ

False

Find more about Weather in New Bedford, MA

I was just on recipezaar and found some recipes but not of them have tomato paste and that really surprises me as I find it has a slight tomato flavour. Anyways.....

Golden Mushroom Soup

4 servings
    30 min 10 min prep

2 tablespoons butter
    1 cup chopped onions
    1/4 cup white wine
    1 lb mushrooms, washed and sliced
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons dill
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 cup vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
    1 tablespoon butter
    2 tablespoons flour
    2 cups milk
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    salt, to taste

Heat butter in a large pot and add the onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the onions are soft and just beginning to brown; about 7-8 minutes.
    1. Add whit wine to pot. Add the mushrooms and spices. Slightly lower the heat, cover, and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
    2. Add the soy sauce and stock. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes.
    3. In a separate small pan, mix the 1 tbsp butte and flour to form a thick paste. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until steamy and slightly thickened.
    4. Add the milk mixture to the soup; add the lemon juice to the soup. Stir well; serve.
    False

Thank you for sharing this!!!

False
    Click for New Bedford, Massachusetts Forecast "Don't compare your life to others'. You have no idea what their journey is all about." ~~Nicole~~

Sorry, I did not get to the grocery today, got stuck in the thriftshop looking for things for my POSSIBLE ebay store. Have to go tomorrow. ............... Charlie, no, broth you do not have to do in the pressure canner, you can do it in a water bath since it does not have meat in it. I am too lazy now to dig out my canning book to see how long to do it in a waterbath. I would nOT can cream soups, just the stock to make them with. I am kind of pooped tonght and will got o bed a bit earlier. See you girls tomorrow night.
    False

It seems it's been a while since anyone posted here...but...

Making your own, homemade mushroom soup saves MONEY. Not to mention the fact that YOU control how much salt/sodium and of course, you're not going to be adding MSG.

There's some differences in "Golden" Mushroom and regular "Cream" of Mushroom. The Golden has beef and/or chicken stock and tomato paste. You also use the baby portabello's here. They are golden in color. You flavor it how you want it! Add a splash or sherry, or some organic half-n-half.

Regular "Cream" of mushroom is made using the white, button mushrooms. Again, you decide what you want in it.

Here's a quick recipe for Golden Mushroom Soup.

Creminis (are baby portobellos)

Shallots aren't as strong as onion (but, yes, they will burn your eyes when chopping them). Slice two large or three smallish shallots. 1/3 of the shallots, cook in a little olive oil or real, unsalted butter until lightly brown, and then set them on a paper towel. ( The shallot looks rather like a small, elongated onion with copper, reddish, or gray skin. Once you peel it, it divides into cloves like garlic)

In a pot, add a little olive oil  and a small pat of unsalted butter and cooked the cremini mushrooms for a few minutes-- until slightly golden brown. Remove the cooked mushrooms into a bowl, and set it aside.

In the same pot, add a little more olive oil (just enough to coat the pan) and cook the additional shallots until just tender. Add the garlic and cooked it for about a minute-- just until fragrant. Next, Add some dried thyme, a little kosher salt & pepper and then about 2 tablespoons of flour-- cook for about a minute.

Add some tomato paste (about 1 Tbsp.), some Golden Sherry (you can use white wine, or omit wine altogether) and a splash of the chicken stock and stir. Add the last of the chicken stock (32 oz total). You could use a mushroom or vegetable stock, if you want to go completely vegetarian.

Taste the soup for seasoning, simmer for about 10 minutes.

Puree additional mushrooms to leave small chunks. If you want it creamy, just add some heavy cream or half-n-half. Simmer and enjoy.

You can serve this soup in a bread bowl, add to your fav. recipe...or just serve it up as is. If you would like to make this soup often, just prepare your shallots, garlic, and sautee the mushrooms, drain well and cool quickly. Then you can put into freezer baggies and use for later.   

False

gr_elo
    When turkey wings are on sale I buy a BIG bunch and use a 16 qrt stockpot to make at least 8 to 9 qrts of stock to can. I remove some of the meat just when it is done and make creamed turkey, turkey spread for a few sandwiches and freeze some. The rest I leave in the soup until it is "dog meat" and too dry and tough to eat. Those turkey wings are cheaper than beef soup bones that have no meat on them.

Yes, that is the way to do it and I have been doing t for many years. Sometimes or store has wings, other times they have drumsticks on special. The home made broth is soooo much better, don't even add salt to mine. Like my grandmother said, 2 lbs of meat and a quart of water make a good soup. Have a recipe for chicken soup out of a 1914 Chinese cookbook and they give the same portions for good chicken soup. They cut a stewing  chicken up into 2 " pieces for making soup..

I miss the years (early 70s) when you could buy turkey drumsticks for 19 cents lbs. Used to buy  them and cook them  for th dogs and I caned he broth.Cheap dog food and cheap, but excellent broth. Back the you could also buy chicken backs and wings for 19 cents for soup and look what they want just for wings now, it;'s ROBBERY for so little meat and mostly bones and all because of "Buffalo Wings" but here in ND I have yet to see a buffalo with wingsWink

BTW, we also have a representative for Alisons Pantry here, I just bought 25 lbs of oatmeal to get back to 50 lbs in storage.Re mushrooms, yes the dried ones are econoical but what hasn't gone up in price and it is getting worse every week.

Just got  a notice in the mail today that the co-pays for my prescr. meds are going to be more than double, starting Nov.1st. Goof thing I only take 3 and it will still bejust under $13.00 p mo, who knows for how long before they hike it again.

False

Grelo, you brought back so many memories when you mentioned the 19 cents per pound chicken and turkey wings!  Around here, the wings are very expensive-all goes to those darned buffalo wings!  I used to make huge pots of chicken broth with those wings.  Now when i cut up a chicken for the freezer, I save the wings until I have enough for broth and then make a big batch of broth! 

My copays are going up too!  We are in Detroit (suburbs) and the Big Three auto compaines seem to rule the roost when it comes to insurance in this area.  Whatever they do, it seems to affect the rest of the insurance companies. 

BTW, both my dogs and cats thrived on leftover chicken pieces and broth that I tossed into their dog kibble!  Two very healthy yellow labs as well as two cats!  I know the broth was healthy for us as well as them-no added msg, salt or chemicals!  I sometimes wonder if that is why there are so many people with allergies, autism, asthma etc. ??????

Jan in MI

False

"The world is full of nice people.  If you can't find one, Be One!"

Nisham Panwar

Thank you Charlie, for this recipe!  I use this soup quite often. Might try adding a TB of tomato paste just to see if it makes a differenceWink  Can't wait to try this recipe.

Jan in MI

False

"The world is full of nice people.  If you can't find one, Be One!"

Nisham Panwar