Where to find 'Quick Cooking Polenta' like Rachael Ray uses? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Where to find 'Quick Cooking Polenta' like Rachael Ray uses?

Last post Feb 27, 2008 2:19 PM by gavingrma_OH . 26 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • Where to find 'Quick Cooking Polenta' like Rachael Ray uses?

Help!  I guess that cornmeal mush (original polenta) isn't very popular out here in the Pacific Northwest.    We can't get the cornmeal mush that is sold in bricks in the midwest either and I do miss it.  Anyway, I've looked everywhere with no success, I've also tried to find it through google and the only thing I found was a very small bag for over $6.00 which seemed very extravagant to me.  Could someone please get me some brand names (or a web address) of the quick cooking polenta that's available in other area?  Thanks.

False

You can't be a door mat if you don't lie down!

• Re: Where to find 'Quick Cooking Polenta' like Rachael Ray uses?

Hi, I think the last brand I bought was Gia Russa.  I looked at their website and it does not look like you can order from them.  I have to go to the grocery tonight - I'll try to remember to look at the quick cooking polenta for more brand names and their prices.  I saw it on Amazon.com but it was $6.80 so probably the same thing you saw.  Can you find quick cornmeal or whatever it is called?  Isn't that just about the same thing? 

Hopefully someone will come along with better or more answers.  

Sue

If I find it tonight I'll come back here and post my findings.

False

Sue, thanks for looking for me.  No, we don't even have quick cooking cornmeal mush.  In fact, the only way to get cornmeal mush is to make it from scratch which, I admit, I have never tried.  The only polenta we have comes in tubes and looks a lot like the cornmeal mush from Kansas but I don't think you could use it to cook up into the recipes that Rachael makes.  She mixes it with cheese and spices and then uses it as you would potatoes or pasta, under a meat sauce.  Now that I think about it ~ that stuff probably would be exactly like the cornmeal mush bricks I used to get that you slice off and fry in the skillet with bacon and eggs.  Tongue Tied  (Not a real healthy sounding meal is it?)    Marty

False

If you are anywhere near Portland or Seattle, find an Italian deli in your phone book and let your fingers do the walking.

If not, trot to a healthfood store and buy yourself some ORGANIC cornmeal and cook your own mush. You will not believe how much better the organic cornmeal tastes, the regular stuff you buy in the grocery tastes like sawdust when you compare it with the organic..

Good grief, cooking mush is one of simplest things there is,  not much different than cooking old fashioned oatmeal, cream of wheat and such.

Are today's women really losing all simple, basic skills of cooking?

False

Hi Marty,  I looked at my grocery store where they used to stock it and it was not there so then I asked the lady at the counter where is it now.  She told me the same aisle except look in the Hispanic section (?) but it was not there either.  I'll look at the other grocery next time I go which will probably be in a few days. 

I watch Rachael Ray make the polenta too and always think it looks delicious but my DH would never even try it so I don't bother making it for myself.  I have a recipe that is corn meal mush with brick cheese, sour cream and butter in it.  It is delicious and very easy to cook.  Corn meal is easy to cook but it sure makes a mess of the pan so I don't make it often.  Well, plus the calories have got to be through the roof with that dish. Surprise I've never bought the bricks of ready made cornmeal so I can't compare the taste to homemade.

I am sorry I could not be much help this time but hopefully the smaller grocery store will have it.  Now I'm curious if I can even buy it around here anymore. 

Grelo says to check an Italian specialty market but we don't have any around here.  Maybe you do?

Have a great day.

Sue

False

Sue, that recipe sounds delicious!  I would love to try it.  Cornmeal mush is  a dish that is simply not common out here.  Like grits are common to the south, cornmeal mush is common to the midwest.  Neither one are appreciated on the west coast.  I'm lucky enough to have lived in all three areas of the country ~ the grits thing I never did acquire, sorry you southern gals.  Cornmeal mush I only tried as fried for breakfast and it was O.K. but I didn't really go bananas over it.  Now that this Polenta wave is taking the country by storm, it's opening up a whole new realm.  I'd like to try it.  Hugs for thinking of me while you are at the store.  I do appreciate the effort.

As far as the polenta goes -  according to everything I read, to make it from regular cornmeal would not really work (it needs to be ground much finer) and the regular cooking polenta takes about 40 minutes of constant stirring.  Which, if you are trying to get a full meal on the table, limits your ability to accomplish everything.

Hey Grelo,  I'm not really totally imcompetant.  But I admit that I am lazy enough to want to get the best results in the most efficient, cost effective manner.  Having been a home daycare provider for twenty years, I had to learn to cook quickly, simply and nutritionally.  Plus the kids had to actually eat what I made - thus I never bothered trying to make cornmeal mush.  Don't get me wrong, I introduced my kids to many new foods and new cuisines but cornmeal mush didn't seem a big priority I guess.  Sorry if I disappointed you. 

False

Hi again.  I can't believe it I had no luck at the second store either.  Now I am on a mission.  My plan is to ask someone else at the bigger grocery next time I am there plus I usually go to my Mom's every weekend so I plan on checking her store.  It will be like I hit the jackpot if I do find it again LOL.

I will hunt up that recipe tomorrow - DH will be home soon so I'll have to start dinner soon.  I got the recipe from a local Romainian church that serves it at their craft show.  It sells out every time.  I've had cornmeal but never fried it but I don't think I'd be crazy about it either.  This recipe you do have to stir a bit but not 40 minutes or I never would have made it either.  The one bad thing is it really, really makes a MESS out of the saucepan.

I have been doing daycare for about 15 years and I hear about getting quick, nutritious meals on the table that the babies actually eat.  LOL on the big priority.  I think there are a lot of "lazy" people out there that "take a little help from the store" (as Rachael Ray says)  & I love your quote at the end of your posts.

Have a great day.

Sue

False

Marty, you don't disappoint me at all.

Maybe I don't understand when  someone just can't get the quick fix why they don't go the regular roite .If they want it badly enough that seems to be the sensible thing to do, at least to me.

BTW you can get organic cornmeal in different grinds: coarse, regular and FINE. And you can always put coarse into a food processor and make it a fine grind.

I know there is an Italian deli (if not more by now) in Seattle, your libarary should have a Seattle phone book, you could look up their number and call to see if they have it..

Since you are on the coast, why not try Bob's Red Mill. com or Azure Stanadard.com. both are close to Portland

False

I retired from daycare about 9 months ago.  Yeah!!!  I wish I could get all this junk (uh ~ er ~ wonderful daycare accumlation) to your house where it could be appreciated.  I've got two rooms, floor to ceiling, full of stuff.  

The quote came from my favorite niece who knows me inside and out and loves me anyway.   I'm learning to live by that motto more and more every day.   I tend to be a push-over and I have paid for that. 

Have fun with those little ones,  Marty

Hey, are you on a food program? 

False

Hey Marty, I've thought about quiting babysitting but I would really miss "my babies".  I don't do it as much as I used to.  I used to have a couple kids 5 days a week about 10+ hours a day but now it's down to 1-3 days a week for just a few hours a day.  I hear you about the "um...junk".  I've got stuff but luckily it is mostly contained in one room and a little in the basement.  Oh I forgot about the garage with all the outdoor stuff but that I don't have to see on a regular basis.  You should have a huge garage sale and market it so other day care workers will come and buy.  Or do you keep in touch with any of the parents?  Maybe some of their new sitters need stuff.  Other people that are always are on the look out for toys and stuff are grandparents.  You could make a few bucks.

No, I'm not on the food program.  I used to work in an office and my sitter was on a food program, I checked into it a tiny bit but the lady was supposed to send me papers and did not so I just kinda forgot about it.  My old sitter said "they make you jump through hoops for pennies".  I don't know how true that is but she made me think it was not really worth it.    Did you do it and was it worth it?

Have a great day.

Sue

False

Almost forgot the recipe.  Here it is.  BTW I edited the above message - the recipe is from a Romanian church not Ukrainian.

Corn Meal Mush with Cheese ~ Serves 6 (I get more than 6 servings out of this)

1-1/4 cup corn meal
    1-3/4 teaspoons salt
    1-1/2 cup cold water

Mix above ingredients together; put 4 cups water to boil, and ad the mixture to boiling water, stirring constantly.  When it begins to thicken, cover, and cook 30 minutes, stirring once in awhile.

1/4 # butter - cut into small pieces
    1/2 pint sour cream
    3/4 # Wisconsin brick cheese - cut into small pieces

Divide the butter into 3 equal parts, the cheese into 2 equals parts, and the corn meal mush into 2 equal parts.  Put 1/3 of the butter and 1/2 of the mush into a casserole, add another 1/3 of the butter and 1/2 of the cheese, cut into small pieces.  Add the rest of the mush, butter and cheese, top with the sour cream.  Bake 1 hour at 350º F.  Serves 6

~My notes~  I usually cut the amount of butter to 2/3 of a stick, use light sour cream & last time I used about 1/2 pound of cheese.  Also I put the first third of the butter into the pan, and then pour half the corn meal mush over the butter - I don't combine them.  The casserole I use is just an 8 or 9 inch cake pan. 

False

To begin with you have  to be licensed by the state and then the food program 'monitors' you with 'drop-in' visits to be sure that you are not over capacity at any time (and they have to report to the state if you are out of compliance).  Then you have their paper work (which is actually for the state as well) that has to be filled in daily which entails all the sign-in ~ sign-out times for each individual child and every meal that was served that day and what food was in that meal. I eventually got mine put onto the computer so I just had to enter it onto that program daily.  I also made a rotating menu that had everything listed for a seasons worth of menus so I didn't have to write in the meals every day. It depends on which program you choose and how well they are willing to work with you, there are many different choices of services and every one is run a little differently.  Some are real pains but if you look carefully.  If you run at full capacity you can really bring in a lot of extra money with it.  I was licensed for 12 children age 2 and older with one helper (my husband was also licensed).  I never actually ran that many kids because my house isn't set up that well for a lot of kids.  I only ran about 5 to 6 kids for the last few years.  But I stayed on the food program because I had a good system all layed out . . .  and I loved my food lady. 

False

I have never seen the quick cooking Polenta but yrs ago I knew a little Italin lady that as she said cheated and made it in the microvave... and I cant for the life of me remember how she did it.. it was good and she would say "you dont have to do all that stirring"  I wish I could remember how as I would share that with you... maybe you know of someone who would have made it that way.    Thanks  bdett

False

Thanks bhett.  That sounds like a great idea and I would for sure try it out.  Next time I am in the store I will look on the normal polenta package and see if there  are 'microwave' instructions.  It can't be too much different from rice I wouldn't think. Now you've got me inspired.  Yes

False

I did a recipe search on here typed in cooking polenta in microwave and the clicked on community and there on the first page was a recipe for fixing it the mic. with cornmeal.. you may want to check that out...   I am gonna ask around at church and see if anyone knew how she fixed it. Glad I could help.   bdett

False