Does anyone have a recipe for Homemade Jiffy Mix?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Does anyone have a recipe for Homemade Jiffy Mix??

Last post Aug 12, 2008 10:06 PM by Angielikes2cook_KY . 17 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • Does anyone have a recipe for Homemade Jiffy Mix??

My kids and DH love that stuff.  I make cornbread with it and add a can of cream style corn to it-YUM.  I also make it by itself and they eat it up.  I make normal cornbread and they like it but not as much as the Jiffy.   I have noticed that the price has gone up on it and thought I would ask you all if you have a recipe for it.

TIA,

Angie

False
    Hugs, Angie Visit my blog http://5kidsmyhusbandandme.blogspot.com/
  • Re: Does anyone have a recipe for Homemade Jiffy Mix??

I haven't trie this Angie, but have had this around for quite a while.  Hope it helps.Big Smile

Bisquick Mix

4 cups all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup instant non-fat dry milk
    1 tsp. salt
    3 Tbls. double acting baking powder
    1/2 cup vegetable oil

Mix flour, milk, salt, & baking powder together in blender or food processor. Mix well then blend in oil.
    Empty into covered container & keep in frig til needed. Yields: 5 cups

False

Hi Angie,  Here is one I found.  I have not tried it yet.

Cornmeal Mix
    4 cups Unbleached All-purpose Flour
    1 Tbsp. Salt
    3/4 cups Sugar
    1/4 cup Baking Powder
    1 cup Vegetable Shortening
    4 1/2 cups Cornmeal

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Stir to blend well. With a pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Add cornmeal and mix well. Put in a large airtight
    container. Label as CORNMEAL MIX an store in a cool, dry, place. Use within 12 weeks. Makes about 10 1/2 cups of CORNMEAL MIX.

click here to go back

BTW I found this recipe at:  http://bitsyskitchen.com/drymixes.html  .  There are a lot of other mix recipes there that you may be interested in.

Have a good day.

Sue

False

Angie,

Check out www.recipezaar.com and search for 'Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix'. I got the recipe from there a while back and use it a lot. It's really as good as the small box mix plus it cost less. Another site you might want to take a look at is www.hillbillyhousewife.com for a lot of other money saving mixes and recipes. Stumbled on hillbillyhouse a short time ago and find myself going back over and over. Good luck and happy mixing,

Debbie

False

Giving this thread and a few others a good old fashioned BUMP for the newest members who are looking for homemade mixes.     Kim

False

KIM

I have a book called "Make a Mix" which is wonderful.  It has to be at least 30 years old, because I have had it since the beginning of our marriage.  It has excellent recipes for making cookies mixes, jiffy mix type, even salad dressing mixes.  See if you can find it on Amazon or ebay - I recommend it highly.

Janet

False

I wonder if I could find it at the library?  When the kids go back to school I am going to go there and see what they have.  Thanks for letting me know about it.  I'll have to hunt it down somewhere.  :0)  I can't get into my paypal account because of my old e-mail address.  I can't figure out how I can change it since I don't have it anymore and any mail would go to that address. GRR!  I hate to go to all of the trouble to set up a new one since I had 100% feedback on there.

Thanks,

Angie

False

I will copy whatever you want from the book, if you want.  Let me know.  Later I will even put an index on here so you can choose.  Not now, have to get ready for dinner.

Janet

False

I found the Make a Mix book - it was published in 1981.  The recipe for your Jiffy Mix is called Quick Mix - and there is also one for cornbread mix.  Which would you prefer?

When I went through my cookbooks I found another one that interested me.  It was published in 1975 - called "How I feed my family on $16 a week (and have meat or poultry on the table every night:.  Just got done re-reading it (I forgot I had it).  There is a great section on how a senior can live on $5 a week (remember this book is thirty years old so adjust accordingly) but it too is an excellent resource.

I am going to post the Quick Mix

8-1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 tbs baking powder

1 tbs salt

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1 teaspoon baking soda

1-1/2 cups instant nonfat dry milk

2-1/4 cups vegetable shortening.

In large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients.  Blend well.  With pastry blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed.  Mixture will resemble cornmeal in texture.  Put in large airtight container.  Label, store in a cook dry place.  use within 10 to 12 weeks.  Makes about 13 cups of quick mix.

this mix can be used for the following

Super-Duper doughnuts

Sunshine coffeecake

Madeline's muffins

Nevada's Pancakes

Indian Fry Bread

Golden Cornbread

Banana-nut bread

spice-nut bread

crispy breadsticks

Karine's Drop Biscuits

Never fail Rolled Biscuits

Sausage cheese balls

Curried Shrimp  Rounds

Tempura

Self-crust cheese tart

Tuna cheese swirls

Seafood-rice puffs

Sugar cookies

Molasses cookies

Cinnamon thins

Crescent butter cookies

Millionaire bars

apple nut cake

carmel nut pudding cake

hot fudge pudding cake

pineapple upside down cake

lazy daisy cake

impossible pie

turnover fried pies

cream puffs supreme

apple walnut cobbler

sunday shortcake

Here is Golden Cornbread

1-1/2 cups quick mix

3/4 cup yellow cornmeal

4 teaspoons sugar

1 egg, slightly beaten

1 cup milk or water

preheat oven to 400 - butter an 8-inch square pan.  in a medium bowl combine quick mix, cornmeal and sugar.  mix well. combine eggs and milk in small bowl.  add half of egg mixture to dry ingredients.  blend well.  add remaining egg mixture and blend well. s pread evenly in prepared pan.  bake 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.  cut into 2 inch squares.  Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Janet

p.s.  While going through this book I found a bacon dip and vegetable dip mix that would be perfect for Christmas gifts.  Thanks for helping me get focused on this.

False

Here is a link for a thread for homemade mixes that I saved a while back. Lots of good sounding recipes for anyone intersested.

arabella

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/103695.aspx

False

arabella_pinky

Here is a link for a thread for homemade mixes that I saved a while back. Lots of good sounding recipes for anyone intersested.

arabella

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/103695.aspx

OOOHHHHH!!!!! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now maybe I can get Mom's diet straightened out now that I have a place to start! She eats a lot of salads, but can't get herself off the DZip it! bottled dressings with all the things her MD tells her to stay away from.  I found  3 jiffy cornbread mixes in there too, and a bunch of other little tidbits... I'm so tickled I could- oops, I just did! Bye.

False

You are very welcome whateverfood. Don't you just love when someone posts something that you were wishing for? I hope that you find some great recipes. Be sure and let us hear a review from you for anything you try.

arabella

False

Thank you Janet and Arabella,

Janet-how can you use that mix for all of that?  Wouldn't there be different directions for each?  Just curious.  I'm not on my computer so I'll look at it again when I get to mine.  I'm on DS's and I'm totally not in my zone! lol 

Thanks again,

Hugs,

Angie

False

Yes, there are different recipes for each.  I didn't post them, figured if someone was interested I would post it.  I would be forever and a day typing all of those recipes.  Let me know if there is something you want me to send to you.

Janet

False

I am interested in these: 

Super Duper Doghnuts

Never fail Rolled Biscuits

Sausage cheese balls

They all three sound good.  Just whenever you get time.  Thank you.  The sausage cheese balls sound like the ones you make with bisquick.  We like those!!

Thanks,

Angie

False