I hate Velveeta ... Can I use real cheese instead? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

I hate Velveeta ... Can I use real cheese instead?

Last post Jan 04, 2009 9:11 PM by gr_elo . 7 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • I hate Velveeta ... Can I use real cheese instead?

hate the taste, everything about it ... can I use real cheese in recipes like the cheeseburger soup here?

False

signature 

My "Babies" are growing up!!!!

• Re: I hate Velveeta ... Can I use real cheese instead?

I agree, Velveeta cheese is some ugly stuff.  But to substitute the real stuff you have to know which cheeses melt into a creamy consistancy like Velveeta does.  If you googled "cheese" to learn which cheeses do that it would be helpful.  Wikipedia may have some useful info. Maybe you add something to regular cheese to make it melt down like Velveeta to stay smooth.

False

I think you have to choose a cheese with a fairly high fat content.  Low fat cheese doesnt melt well.

False

yeah, low fat is ugly too - I mean, if I'm gonna make dinner for my family I want to use real cheese - I'm not sure who invented Velveeta, but  ... EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

False

signature 

What about a can of cheddar cheese soup?  Maybe some corn starch or flour to thicken it if needed?  Just a thought.

False

There are some generic store brand of that nasty stuff and they call it "cheese food", it is just as bad as maragrine. I would rather eat dry bread than put maragrine on it. One stick of butter lasts me over 2 weeks and I am NOT going to give up my butter or good cheese, I'd rather eat very little of the good stuff than lots of the nasty stuff. Money wise I come out the same.

False

Thanks for all the great info, I will keep the cheddar cheese soup in mind - I will mull it over for awhile and see what I can come up with!

Grelo, you are sooo right, our bodies just don't need that FAKE food, and dollar wise, they may seem cheaper, but since the flavor is awful I usually try and add more until I've spent up what I would have saved!  Real butter, real milk, real cheese - a little bit goes a long way!  "Cheese food" ... should be called "chemical cheese"  HAHAHAHA

False

signature 

Do not buy shredded cheese to melt, it is coated with something to keepit from sticking together.

Use a good cheddar, grate it coarsely and it will melt, even though much slower than "V" (I don't even want to say the word). Swiss does not melt well, neither does Mozarella, they just turn into strings. You could buy a chunk of Asiago and grate it very fine to use instead of melted cheese to mix with pasta. Gouda should melt (slow) but not Tilsiter (to much like Swiss). Port Salute should melt.

Only once did i buy the store brand cheddar here in this little burg (Our Family) and itwas the consistancy of rubber, I could ha ve used for an eraser

Since I am alone, I buy one package of Cracker Barrel X sharp Cheddar every month and it is worth it

False