Some uses for flour tortilla shells | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Some uses for flour tortilla shells

Last post Apr 04, 2010 7:01 PM by troublecat . 3 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • Some uses for flour tortilla shells

Well here are some of the uses I have found for them . cut in thin strips for soups ,,,,,we use them to make crispy pizzas just put your stuff on top ,put on stone or what ever you have and bake .they are so good .then i also use them in place of lazagna noodles .and no one could tell the diff. i have also used them to make apple dumplings.I buy the large flour tortilla shells and small apples anyway spread each shell with margarine and place each cored apple in center of each shell .pull up sides use toothpicks if you cant get the shell up over the top of the apple ,just remember to take toothpicks out before serving.anyway place in buttered baking dish bake at 350 until apple is tender by checking with toothpick and then pull out of oven and make a simple syrup by taking 1 cp of clear cornsyrup ,1 cp water and gr cinnamom  and 1/2 cp brown sugar .heat on stove until sugar is dissolved and pour over top of apple dumplings .put back in oven and bake another 15 minutes and yum.yum sometimes if i have some carmel ice cream topping on hand , i will drizzle that over them right before serving .you can also use what ever you want to top like whipped topping .my grandsons will sit and eat the whole baking dish of them ..lol and they are cheap to make .and look like a high end dessert .to serve it in still .lol place one in one of those little plass ice cream dishes and drizzle your carmel topping over it and top with a dab of whipped cream .or not .                                                                       

False
  • Re: Some uses for flour tortilla shells

I make a couple of things with flour tortillas.  I make a chip in the microwave by cutting them into triangles.  Then "baking" them in the microwave, single layer on a paper towel on the tray for 2-3 minutes.  They turn out crispy after they cool.  Some times I turn them over after about a minute.  No added salt or oil.  Watch closely, they will brown or burn quickly at a certain point.

Not healthy,  but I cut them into triangles, deep fry, drain, then shake them around in a container with sugar and cinnamon or powdered sugar . Shake off excess.  These are easy cookies.

False

I make chicken or seafood quessadias (sp?)  - chicken chopped up fine - shreaded chedder cheese - tortilla on bottom spread chicken and cheese over - add 1 or 2 tbs of salsa.  - close with a top.  Serve with shredded lettuce, black olives and sour cream on top.  Yum.

Janet 

False

Breakfast tacos... easy breakfast or dinner.  We normally have them for dinner.  Scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon, sausage, ham or whatever else you have.  Warm up the tortillas and fill them with eggs and other leftovers from the fridge.

False