VERY BEST HOMEMADE SANDWICH BREAD I'VE EVER MADE! | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

VERY BEST HOMEMADE SANDWICH BREAD I'VE EVER MADE!

Last post May 28, 2013 7:27 PM by tastycook1 . 15 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • VERY BEST HOMEMADE SANDWICH BREAD I'VE EVER MADE!

I found this recipe on a blog and made it this weekend.  It does use a bread machine (on the dough setting.. you bake it in the oven in a regular loaf pan).  It is unbelievable!  Very soft.  In fact, I had to slice it with my electric knife when it was cold because it was so soft (think trying to slice wonderbread with a regular knife and how it would squish down LOL). 

I'm not sure if it turns out the same without using the bread machine, but I plan on trying that.  Simply because I want to be able to doube/triple the recipe and make loaves to share.  ITS THAT GOOD!

Follow the directions exactly.  It is terrific.  You will never have to buy bread again.

White Sandwich Bread

1 cup warm water (hot but no hurt - should feel like hot bath water)
    2 tbsp sugar
    2 1/2 tsp yeast
    1/4 cup oil
    3 cups bread flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt

In a 2 cup measuring cup, measure the very warm water (1 cup), stir in yeast and sugar.  Set a timer for 10 minutes.  It will start bubbling and at the end of 10 minutes, will look like a big glass of rootbeer with a tall soft, frothy foam on top.  Add the oil and then dump in the bread machine bread pan.

Next add your flour and top with the salt.

(I realize your bread machine may say to do this in a different order, but do it this way and you will have a perfect loaf.)

Set your bread machine to the dough setting.

And the end of this cycle (when it is "ready"), then dump the dough on a floured surface (I use a dinner plate with a little flour dumped on there).  Knead with floured hands a couple of times - like 5 times.  Form into a loaf.  Spray or grease your loaf pan.  Place dough inside.  I then sprayed my loaf with Pam to it didn't dry out.  Let rise 1 hour or until it rises up out of the loaf pan by an inch or so. 

Preheat your oven completely before putting the loaf in -to 350 degrees.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.  (check at 20 minutes).

Let it sit in the pan about 5 minutes.  Then, carefully (because the loaf is so soft) take it out of the pan and let it cool on a cooling rack.  Let it cool completely and then slice using an electric knife or large seregated knife.

It makes great sandwiches, grilled cheese, peanut butter.  Probably would make great hamburger and hotdog buns as well.

We loved this.  I bet you will too!

Jeanna

False
  • Re: VERY BEST HOMEMADE SANDWICH BREAD I'VE EVER MADE!
    This is the recipe I use for all my bread. I tinkered with different recipes for years and like this one best. I make all my bread in the food processor (that's why I don't go over 3 cups of flour). I also use this for sweet breads, cinnamon rolls, etc. The dough is sweet enough (or add a few TBS of sugar) if you are adding the butter, sugar, and cinnamon for the rolls. It makes a great raisin bread or cinnamon bread.....and then savory breads!! I love toasted onion bread, olive bread (any combination of olives and some pressed garlic), herb bread, the possibilities are endless! I also make this whole wheat bread by using 1 to 2 cups of white whole wheat flour. And rolls, it makes great crescents or knots. I also press his recipe into a pizza pan, after rising, poke my fingers (or the handle of a wooden spoon) and make indentations and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with herbs.......this is the best with Italian dishes like spaghetti or lasagna. My church kids love it!! Great recipe!
    False

Thanks for posting this recipe.  Funnily enough, altho hubby enjoys the homemade bread, whatever kind I make, he was talking to our son the other day and saying that none of the bread is like "sandwich bread" so I'm going to give this one a try soon - next time I make some bread, probably Wednesday.Smile
    False

Let me know what you think.  I was like a kid in the candy shop.  I'm sure all my family thought I had lost my marbles I was so excited over this bread!  Its just that I have been searching for bread that I can make sandwiches out of.  Most homemade bread is delicious.  However, it is heavy and a little dense for making sandwiches.  But this bread IS PERFECT!

Ok... I'll shut up.  LOL.

Jeanna

False

Jeanna, made this bread this morning  and used it for plain ol' cheese sandwiches for lunch.  It certainly passes the test.  I have also made a wholewheat loaf based on this recipe this afternoon and am just about to put it in the oven to bakeBig Smile Thank you so much.

False

I used half wholewheat flour and added a handful of oats to the mix.  Another winner.

ThanksBig Smile

False

Hi Jeanna,

Tthis is just the type of bread I have been looking for and it is soooo versatile!  I KNOW this will go good with my soups and chili and I won't have to run to the store in the middle of the week.  I will just make a couple of loaves instead!  Thanks so much for this recipe.  Am going to try it on Wed when I don't have to work.

Thanks again!

Jan in MI 

False

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.

If you think your dog can't count, try putting 3 dog biscuits in your pocket, then give your dog only 2 of them!

this is a GREAT recipe!!! i've made it twice now, and the first time we ate it all right after it came out of the oven, ha ha! but the second time, we used it for sandwiches, toast, and husband used it to "sop up all the good stuff" in our corned beef dinner. it doesn't make a very big loaf, and it doesn't raise up super high, and i had to cut the salt back to a little over a teaspoon, but it is absolutely delicious!! i will probably make a loaf or 2 a week from now on. thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe!!!!!

False

This is THE ABSOLUTE BEST & SOFT white sandwich bread ever, I made one small change, and it did NOT affect the taste at all... I used Olive Oil instead of veggie/shortening oil... And it was FABULOUS.... My search for the PREFECT LOAF OF HOMEMADE WHITE BREAD IS OVER!!!!!

False

This is still a regular in our house, almost a couple of years after discovering it.  Hubby prefers white bread (Surprise) but I prefer a wholewheat so I alternate between the 2 when I use this recipe.  It's not the only recipe I use by any means but it ALWAYS turns out well Big Smile

Tasty

False

Buttery White Bread for Bread Machine

This is a delicious, buttery white bread that is
    great for sandwiches, toast or just plain with butter.

This has the lightness and texture of Wonder Bread but
    with a nice buttery flavor. This recipe makes a great tasting bread that doesn't require bread flour.

2/3 cup lukewarm water
    1 large egg
    1 tablespooon granulated sugar
    1 1/4 teaspoons table salt
    5 tablespoons soft butter (I used butter flavor Crisco)
    1/2 cup plain yogurt (or sour milk or buttermilk)
    3 1/2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons (or 1 packet) bread machine or instant yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine in order listed or
    according to your bread machine mfg's directions.

Settings: White Bread, 1 1/2 lb loaf, Medium Crust.

Press Start.

Makes One, 1 1/2 lb loaf.

False

Old cooking measurements: drop, pinch, dash, dessert-spoonful, salt-spoonful, size of a walnut, size of an egg, teacupful, coffee-cupful, wine-glassful, tumblerful, Handful.

I used dry active yeast and proofed it, was that ok, or was I suppose to use instant yeast?

False

Jeanna,

Did you ever try this recipe without the bread machine? how did it come out? I love homemade bread but i find that using a bread machine is an extra step.

False
    Love this post as everyone here complains that while my loaves taste great they aren't light and fluffy like bread from the store(which is tasteless to some of us....!) Going to try this for sure Thanks
    False

Printing this off to try. Been looking for a good bread recipe. Thank you for sharing. :)

False
    Hugs, Angie Visit my blog http://5kidsmyhusbandandme.blogspot.com/