Dollar Store Food | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Dollar Store Food

Last post Mar 08, 2012 4:24 PM by Yellowflower_ON . 10 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • Dollar Store Food

Does anyone buy/use the food items in the cooler or freezer from the dollar store, and if so, how are they. We went into the dollar store last night and saw in the cooler, eggs, cream cheese, sour cream, steaks, lunch meals and other items that we have on our grocery list but hesitated to purchase.

False
  • Re: Dollar Store Food

The Dollar stores around here don`t have coolers so can`t help you.  I might be inclined to be wary as I have heard reports of inferior goods at the Dollar stores but that may be unfounded.  But I tend to play safe when it`s something we`re going to eatBig Smile

False

I don't buy meat and ice cream, because it is a long drive home for me.  When ever I am in the store there are people always buying the stuff.  MIL would buy the cream cheese. 

she bought a lot as they ate it on crackers.

False

I saw a sign recently....can't remember if it was in a dollar store or Big Lots attached to the rack that held Pepperidge Farm products..... and it said something to the effect, 'The products on these shelves many not contain as many or the same ingredients as our regular retail store products.  Also, they may be beyond freshness date."  Something along those lines, which led me to believe it wasn't something I wanted to expose us to just to save a buck or two.

False

Marilyn

Thanks for the replys. I went ahead and bought two of the round steaks wrapped in bacon. They were actually pretty good. I didn't get food poisoning. I decided sour cream and cream cheese would be better to get at the real grocery store.

Nola

False

we have gotten a few things at the .99 only store, we got some snow peas in the frozen section...... they were really good and are usually very expensive at regular grocery store.

I would think everything is just fine or they couldn't sell it they have to go with all the rules and regulations that other stores have to. We've also gotten things like green peppers, tomatoes, onions and garlic in the produce section. we buy the condaments and other things often. Sometimes the packaging is different or a little off color. Sometimes its close to exparation but not..... just check.

most recently we picked up a few boxes of Lary the Cable guy's fried chicken batter and corn bread mix, they are out now and I really wish I had gotten some more corn bread mix, its the best we've had in a long time.

False

mrhoopermd

Thanks for the replys. I went ahead and bought two of the round steaks wrapped in bacon. They were actually pretty good. I didn't get food poisoning. I decided sour cream and cream cheese would be better to get at the real grocery store.

Nola

I think I know exactly what you are talking about my mom gets them at the Grocery Outlet all the time. (she owns the store and she eats food from the store all the time).

False
    Amy

Our Big Lots and Grocery Outlets have foods that are brand name - just not brand names in this region.  I usually don't stock up unless I know we will eat something.  Problem with that is by the time I remember to go back they're usually sold out.  We had some great soup this evening labeled "Riviera - San Francisco style" - a very thick vegetable beef. The beef was very high quality, not gristly or fatty/greasy. The soup is a product of Birds Eye but is canned.  Anyway, very tasty and a bargain at 65 cents for a 15 oz. can.  If I can remember to leave for work early enough I will go pick up more.

FairJudge

False

Often the brands are the same as in a regular grocery store, just smaller. Items like the cheese, read the ingredients because it is cheaper because it is not real cheese. In other words, always be an informed consumer no matter where you shop.

False

I only buy chips from dollars stores...no food.I also buy the water.

False

I never buy food at the dollar store, because I don't know where it comes from, and where it's made. One time I did pick up toothpaste, when I read that it was made in Mexico, I put it back. Canadian standards are much higher, when it comes to the quality of foods and toiletries. It's ok if you are wanting to other products.

YF

False

Maria

JMJ