mile a minute afghan?? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

mile a minute afghan??

Last post Feb 27, 2009 4:22 PM by applekny . 7 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • mile a minute afghan??

Does anyone have a pattern and picture of this afghan?  I made one about 35 years ago and now I would love to make one again for my granddaughter and can't find the pattern.  I've seen a pattern on another website but it is not the same as I remember it looking so I thought maybe one of you crafters had one to share.  I crochet hundreds of Christmas stockings and do hardanger; and haven't done an afghan in years; now with 10 little girls to crochet for all of a sudden they want "blankets" for their birthday and I thought this would be a quick one or a double crochet ripple or shell, I'm just trying to think of a quick pattern.  Thank you, Bonnie

False
  • Re: mile a minute afghan??

Not sure if this has a name but it's quick.

Also, once you get going, and decide what colors it's simple to just pick up and do, while watching  TV,or visiting or something.

I usually use rainbow colors in various shades, whatever I have on hand because it's a way of setting it up (red/maroon, orange/gold, etc)  I've seen people make them just using whatever color they think looks good, in whatever number of rows (narrow or wide) as they come to it. I've also seen i done where you keep crochetting till you run out of that color, even in the middle of a row and pick up and add another one. I usually made them even, changing colors at the end of a row.

It's double crochet, I chain 120 to start (or 100 if you want it smaller for a child) then just go back and forth with double crochet. Till you get it as wide as you want.

Then, go around the edge with single crochet (I usually use black)  2, maybe 3 rows around the edge.

I was looking all through my photobuckets to see if I had a picture of one newly made (I thought I did) and part way through looking, realized I could take a picture of the one now on my bed. It's around 5 years old, and I've had it over the couch, and usually folded up on the bottom of my bed now, and my half grown puppy pulls it out on the bed and sleeps on it.

It looked a little fresher and brighter when new. And, of course, you can make them in any shades, combinations. I have bought "lots" of yarn on ebay, to get various shades to make socks and slippers out of, this might be a good way to get a variety (colors and amounts) of yarn to make an afgan. Seems like any colors and combinations work, it's still bright, colorful and warm.

4 ply (worsted weight) yarn. I use an I (i) crochet hook.

(posting pictures on here, you have to click REPLY to have it show the full picture)

I have done ripple crochet, back in the 70's I used to make ripple design, button front ponchos. If you are looking for a ripple crochet afgan pattern they are probably easy to find or someone will give you one here.

I once made my granddaugher an afgan in her favorie colors pnk and purple (several shades) by making a grannie square and going on and on till it was big. Then adding a sc edging and putting long fringe around it.

I go for fast and easy too.

False

You can do a search for "free pattern for mile-a-minute afghans"

http://crochetcollection.blogspot.com/2008/03/free-crochet-patterns-for-mile-minute.html

Good Luck Bonnie!

Kathie

False

[url]http://crochet.about.com/library/n061398.htm[url/]
    False
    [url]http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/crochet-afghansli.html
    False

HI Apple:  I went to several of the sites that were mentioned and found some really pretty caps. Thank you and your friends for helping.

Sharon

False
    Gramsiamx7

Thank you to all of you, I can hardly wait to start, I think I'll do the chain 6 and make the ring, etc... I have identical twin granddaughters who turn 10 on April 20 one loves pink the other lavendar so I'm looking for varigated yarn with both colors and a solid pink and purple and white and hope they turn out beautiful.  Thank you again....Bonnie

False

Bonnie:  Glad you found a pattern you can use!!   Good Luck & maybe You'll show us all a picture of the TWIN afghans & the TWIN girls!!

Kathie

False