Jackie asked about what cream soup to use for some of the recipes in the Gluten Free Thanksgiving Post! 

Gluten free cream soup is easy as a wink to make! I use cornstarch, but you can also use arrowroot starch or sweet rice flour if you cannot tolerate corn. Here is the recipe alone with a link to the post about this recipe:

http://2livinglightly.blogspot.com/2008/09/gluten-free-cream-soup.html

Basic Gluten Free Cream Soup/Gravy/White Sauce

1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter
and
1 cup milk (I use reconstituted powdered milk, but ANY kind will do!)
Salt/Pepper
*Additional seasonings to taste (see notes below)

Melt the butter. Mix the cornstarch and milk together. Add milk mixture to melted butter and stir over med-high heat for 3-5 minutes until thick and creamy. This is a perfect substitute for gravy, for a can or cream soup in any recipe, for a white sauce, etc...

All you have to do is add different seasonings to fit your taste and what you need it for!

Cream Soup/White Sauce/Gravy Flavor Options:

*Cream of chicken soup -- add 1 teaspoon powdered chicken bouillon, like Herb Ox, which is gluten free.

*Cream of mushroom soup -- add 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms

*Cream of celery soup -- add 1/2 cup sauteed celery

*Cheese sauce -- add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese to the sauce when hot for mac and cheese

*Alfredo sauce -- add 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese or a mix of parmesan and asaigo or other white cheeses, along with 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg to the sauce when hot.

*Gravy -- use cream soup AS IS: over roasted turkey, chicken, beef, etc... OR add 1/3 cup pan drippings to cream soup when it's hot. Makes a very tasty gravy!!

Helpful Hints:

*I keep a small tin of cornstarch and a small glass of powdered milk right next to the stove so I can make a cream soup or gravy in minutes!!

*You can use ANY type of milk for this recipe, I use reconstituted powdered milk (1/3 cup powdered milk with 1 cup water) simply because it's very frugal and pantry friendly.

*You can make a double or triple recipe of cream soup and keep it in the fridge to use throughout the week. Simply use 1 cup of homemade cream soup in replacement of 1 can of store-bought cream soup called for in a recipe.

*I love using this recipe to make hamburger gravy or chipped beef gravy over gluten free toast or biscuits for breakfast. Simply add fully cooked, browned ground hamburger to the gravy and serve over toast!

*This makes the BEST base for a cheese sauce for macaroni and cheese. Simply make the cheese sauce as directed above. Take the sauce off the heat and pour over cooked pasta and toss to coat. You can also make a baked macaroni and cheese by beating two egg and mixing with the cheese sauce. Pour over pasta and mix. Pour coated pasta into a greased casserole dish, sprinkle GF bread crumbs or additional cheese on top and bake at 350 for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Enjoy!! Hope this helps Jackie!! 

Carrie @ www.gingerlemongirl.com