Ideas for a Gluten Free Dessert for Easter Dinner | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Ideas for a Gluten Free Dessert for Easter Dinner

Last post May 23, 2011 9:59 AM by CookinArgentina . 13 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • Ideas for a Gluten Free Dessert for Easter Dinner

I was wondering if you could tell me of a simple gluten free dessert I could make to take to Easter dinner... My SIL is on a GF diet and I am bringing dessert and want to take something along that he can enjoy too...Can you give me some ideas??? Also, is Hellmans mayo, gluten free.. I know he likes coleslaw, but don't know about the mayo used to make coleslaw??

Thanks in advance..

Mary

False
  • Re: Ideas for a Gluten Free Dessert for Easter Dinner

Is dairy OK?  My DD makes a wonderful (we think) GF cheesecake.  I could PM her recipie if that would be OK.  Meringue nests with fresh fruit could be another option. 

I just checked the label on my Hellmans with olive oil mayo.  The listed ingredients would be fine for my celiac SIL.  Hope that helps.

False

I would love the recipe for the GF Cheesecake.. I know he loves Cheesecake and it would really be something healthy for all of us to eat.... I tried The Hellman's Olive Oil mayo and it is good...It is so nice to know these things as I find there is more he can eat than what I thought....The cheesecake would be a good option, a tastey one and something special....TY   Dairy is fine for him to eat...TY

Mary

False

Heading to town now.  I'll type up the cheesecake recipe when we return this afternoon.

DD has found the Living Without magazine a great help. 

It seemed totally overwhelming when SIL was diagnosed last fall.  It has been a challenge to come up with things for them on grad student budgets, but it can be done.  The biggest challenge now is quick snack type items.  Ready made are way over priced.

BBL.

False

Thank You...Will check out the magazine/

False

Hi Mary, I love the recipe site www.yummly.com. I put in gluten free or dairy free and see what is offered. I hope you find just the right thing to make! My special little secret shortcut is an Angel Food Cake made by Celiac Specialties. Making a nice berry sauce for it is really easy and I think it's much better than the cakes of old. Waving with a smile, Another Mary

False

Here's DD's GF Nut Crust Supreme Recipe.  She uses this for cheesecake, pie crust, shortbread type square base etc. 

2 c GF baking mix

1/2 c dark brown sugar

2/3 c cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces

1 c finely chopped nuts (pecans or almonds)   DD uses an electric coffee grinder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray springform pan with vegetable oil spray.  In medium bowl, stir together the baking mix and brown sugar.  Cut in butter, until fine crumbs form.  Stir in nuts and pat into pan.  It will be crumbly but will hold together when pressed into the pan.

For filling DD uses the regular Philadelphia  Cream Cheese recipe for a baked cheesecake.  Thicken using cornstarch if it needs it or add extra cream cheese/egg.  Don't add the 2 T flour often called for in a cheesecake filling as a thickener.

They eat plain cheesecake, topped with fresh fruits, or fruit toppings, chocolate sauce, or chopped candy bars.

It is a super easy and versatile dessert to satisfy the sweet tooth of celiacs.

Other dessert suggestions she made a few minutes ago :

She presses the above crust mix into regular pie plates and bakes and uses in place of a graham crust. For filling she mixes an envelope of prepared Dream Whip with a prepared lemon pudding mix for a tasy light pie.  (Check labels first)

The crust is also great as a base for lemon bars.

Can you tell lemon is a favourite flavour?

False

Thank you!!  The cheesecake sounds wonderful. I bet that crust is tastey with those nuts in it.. I bet you wouldn't even know it is gluten free...I am going to keep this recipe and pass the recipe on to my DD....Thank you so much!

Mary

False

PAT~~I just recently made  a cake using the Betty Crocker gluten free mix and instead of the water it calls for I used the juice from mandarin oranges and some drained pineapple juice. Measure that out and keep some drained fruit to add later.

Mix the cake as directed with the juice, eggs and the margarine it calls for. In the last part of beating the cake add the small can of drained mandarin oranges and about 1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple.

Bake as directed. Cool and then frost with 9 oz. container of Cool Whip mixed with 1 package of instant vanilla pudding. CHECK the box as some brands contain wheat. Mix in 1 cup of drained crushed pineapple. If it's too thick add some pineapple juice.

Store it in a cool place.

This is so yummy and I'm repeating it for our Easter dinner.

Even my picky hubby, who claims he doesn't like my GF stuff, gobbled it down.

This makes a smaller cake. I made mine in a 9 inch square pan. The Betty Crocker cake mixes are not the usual 9x12 pans but oh so worth it.

Also, if you get the Living Without magazine there is a very yummy looking coconut cake recipe.

Tippytoes

False

The cake sounds delish!!  I am wondering what kind of or brand of pudding do you use in the gluten free icing...I am saving these recipes ideas myself and also sending them to my DD...Can you buy GF pudding mixes at the store...Just curious.. I wouldn't want to make the cake, then ruin it with icing that wasn't GF...I am sure just cool whip on the cake would be good too...

Mary

False

Hi Mary, Making your own pudding mixes is almost as easy as opening a box.

Vanilla Pudding

21/2 C milk [lowfat is fine, I use full fat unsweetened coconut milk myself]

3 T cornstarch

2/3 C sugar

1/8 t. salt

2 T unsalted butter

1 t. vanilla

Whisk together 1/2 c of the milk and the cornstarch. Set aside

Bring the rest of the milk, sugar, salt to a simmer over med heat. Add the cornstarch mixture to the steaming pot. Cook whisking often until the mixture boils for 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low simmer and cook for another 7 minutes until thickened.

Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Chill and enjoy!

This recipe can easily be made into chocolate pudding by adding 2 ounces of semi-sweet chcolate [I use Enjoy brand glutenfree chocolate chips] to the pudding at the same time as the butter and vanilla.

Blessings and smiles to all! Mary

False

Thanks for sharing Mary.  I will be passing this to DD this week.  It is a challenge for them to find the gluten free convenience mixes in Canada.  On a grad student budget, scratch cooking is best to help bring variety.

False

Jello brand is gf as are some mixes in the specialty aisle at the store.

You used UN-prepared pudding mix in the frosting not 'pudding'.

Tippytoes

False

Thanks Marymitten and Organic Pat for the GF recipes! I will try them for my GF hubby~

Cheri

False

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Psalm 46:1