Anyone have ORIGINAL weight watchers cabbage soup recipe? | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Anyone have ORIGINAL weight watchers cabbage soup recipe?

Last post Jan 23, 2013 10:34 AM by kashoo . 7 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • Anyone have ORIGINAL weight watchers cabbage soup recipe?

I looked online and have found dozens of versions. My mom used to make it like 25 years ago, and none of te recipes seemed to be the version she made. Does anyone know the original version?

False
  • Re: Anyone have ORIGINAL weight watchers cabbage soup recipe?

I don't know if this is the same one they had 25 years ago, but this is the current Garden Vegetable Soup (contains cabbage)  and one cup is -0- points.   I think this one is 6 servings.  I cook it a little longer than the recipe indicates so that the cabbage has a chance to cook longer.   I like it best with chicken stock, not the beef broth.  Hope this helps.

Weight Watchers Garden Vegetable Soup

• 2/3 cup sliced carrot
    • 1/2 cup diced onion
    • 2 garlic cloves
    • 3 cup broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
    • 1 1/2 cup diced green cabbage
    • 1/2 cup green beans
    • 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
    • 1/2 tsp. dried basil
    • 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
    • 1/4 tsp. salt
    • 1/2 cup diced zucchini

1. In a large saucepan, sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, saute carrot, onion, and garlic over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes.

2. Add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and salt; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered about 15 minutes or until beans are tender.

3. Stir in zucchini and heat 3-4 minutes. Serve hot.

**Each serving provides: 0 POINTS!!**

False

I think the original version also contained tomatoes. Of course you could also add any zero point vegetables that you like.

This version is from 1989 

1/4 cup diced onion

2 packets instant chicken broth & seasoning mix

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup thinly sliced zucchini

1/2 cup sliced carrot

1/2 cup chopped, seeded tomatoes

1 tsp fresh parsley

1/4 tsp basil leaves

1/8 tsp pepper

2 cups water

Combine onion, broth mix and garlic, cook until onion is transparent, add remaining ingredients except water and cook covered about 10 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook covered about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon remove 1/2 cup vegetables and set aside. In 2 batches puree remaining soup in blender. Add reserved vegetables back in and heat. Makes 2 servings

False

Have a good day, Sue Big Smile

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I checked on E tools and found this one that goes all the way back to 1969.  If it's not the original, then it must be pretty close to it. lol  That's 40 years ago! 

WW Veggie Soup (1969 Version)

Serving Size : 4

3/4 medium head cabbage -- chopped
    3 stalks celery -- diced
    3 cups tomato juice
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup dried onions
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons green peppers
    1 can French-style green beans -- with juice
    1 can mushrooms -- with juice
    salt and pepper -- to taste

Boil together until vegetables are tender.

False

Yes, now I remember the original had cabbage in it. I joined in 1986 and I think they were still using the 1969 version. I used to call it "cabbage water" like in Willie Wonka. LOL

False

Weight Watchers Cabbage Soup

1970s Version

46 oz. Can Tomato Juice(1)

7 Tbl. Lemon Juice

2 Tbl. Dehydrated Onion

½ c. Water

2 env. Powdered Beef Boullion

1 tsp. Liquid Artificial Sweetener(2)

½ head Cabbage(3)

Combine 1st six ingredients & bring to a boil. Add cabbage & simmer about 2 hours.

Personal Footnotes:

1 We like V8 but it probably changes the point value.

2 Any approved sweetener, measurement equivalent to 2 Tbl. Sugar. Be sure it's safe to boil it, though.

3 What do you do with the other half a head??? We always double the recipe. I keep meaning to try freezing some but we never have enough left.

I don't know where the idea came from but we always serve it with a heaping Tbl. of Cottage Cheese. Not sure if that's Weight Watchers approved or not.

I'm sure the 1980s Vegie version is tasty but I doubt it satisfies that need for comfort food. Have a wonderful day!

False

Thanks for posting this one. With cabbage on sale for St. Patrick's Day this is a good time to make a potful. It freezes well too.

False

This is from a page of the Weight Watcher magazine.  The Creative Kitchen Capers by Annarose Charney.

Basic Soup Recipe

5 c. water

5 packets instant broth & seasoning mix (any flavor) or 5 boullion cubes

5 c. coarsely cut cabbage

2 c. sliced celery

2 teaspoons dehydrated onion flakes

5 c. tomato juice

2 c. canned green beans

2 tablespoons lemon juice

Artificial sweetener to equal 4 teaspoons sugar

Combine first 5 ingredients and cook until vegetables are semisoft.  Add the rest except the green beans and cook slowly for 1/2 hour.  Add the green beans and cook 15 minutes more.  

Some additional notes: Broil 6 or 8 ounces of crumbled ground beef, weigh portion and add to soup.

Add 4 or 6 ounces of leftover chicken or fish.  Add No. 4 vegetables to your portion for a very hearty soup at your noon or evening meal.  Add leftover No.3  vegetables of any kind. 

False