casserole for grieving family | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

casserole for grieving family

Last post Jan 05, 2010 10:47 PM by zakons . 2 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • casserole for grieving family

Hi, everyone! My name is Kim.  I just joined, because I need some help.  One of the girls in my daughter's girl scout group just lost her father before Christmas last week (extended illness).  The mothers have decided to send over some food and I was asked to make a casserole.  I really don't serve casseroles at home, so does anyone have a tried and true recipe that would work for this situation?  Also, do I prepare it cooked or uncooked - so the mom can cook it herself?  I've never had a situation like this before.  Please help!  Thanks, Kim

False
  • Re: casserole for grieving family

If you know the family at all, ask if they prefer it uncooked, or if they have a specific day and time they would like it.

Is it to be served at a funeral luncheon? Or, just to make life easier for the first couple weeks. That could determine whether it is best delivered frozen, or just uncooked.

I like to make lasagna, and deliver it uncooked, in a pan that can be frozen. I always put waxed paper under the foil, because hte foil becomes pitted otherwise. Yes, it can be baked with the waxed paper in position. It is best to not cook tomato products next to foil. No, I don't know why it is OK to put the food in a disposable foil pan, yet the foil wrap pits.

Lasagna is fairly expensive, though. How about a breakfast casserole, or hash browns? My Mom used to make a casserole by mixing browned ground beef with cream of mushroom soup. That was the first layer. Drained whole kernel corn was the second layer. She topped the casserole with biscuit dough, and baked it until the biscuits were browned. Baked beans were served on the side. This can also be made with mashed potato top, I would think, like a sheperd's pie.

False
  • Re: casserole for grieving family
    This is another great recipe to take to a friend/relative...Even tastes great reheated..)

Rose's Hamburger & Vegetable Hot Dish

1 # hamburger
    1 onion diced
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup carrots ....sliced thin
    1/4 cup green peppers (optional)

4 cups thinly sliced raw potatoes
    1 or 2 cans Campbells tomato soup
    1/2 soup can of water for each can of tomato soup you DO use....

Chop hamburger while frying with onion.Salt and pepper hamburger.

When done frying, layer hamburger on bottom of a casserole, and a layer of each vegetable. Repeat layers.

Mix the tomato soup with the water and pour over all. Should be on the slightly juicy side....

Either oven or microwave....

In microwave, I put in for 20 minutes, take out and STIR and then put in for another 20 minutes...Can use full power or about 75 Percent power... Might have to put it in for a few more minutes...if the vegetables are not done...

Put in oven:
    Cover and bake 375 degrees for about an hour or until all vegetables are cooked through.

A family favorite for years..Should be a little juicy after cooking. Kids and adults love this..A Good recipe to take to a sick friend.

This even tastes good reheated.
    False