~*~ Secret Sister Rule and Guidelines ~*~ | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

~*~ Secret Sister Rule and Guidelines ~*~

Last post Jun 29, 2008 12:51 PM by kaly_ab . 15 replies.

Forum Jump
Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12
NOTE: You must join this group before you can participate in its forum.
  • ~*~ Secret Sister Rule and Guidelines ~*~

RULES AND GUIDELINES

Here are the Guide Lines for joining our swap:

You MUST send at least one card per month, by snail mail(post office mailing) to your Secret Sister. This can be something as simple as a post card or whatever you can dream up! Remember not to use your name on the return address envelope as your identity is to remain a secret for 6 months! We ask that you send one snail mail by the 15th of the month so that it will have time to get to your SS's house and that we all be sharing about the same time every month. NO ONE likes to feel left out, and it is your responsibility to see that this does not happen!  Ladies, we are going to be firm with this.  Life happens but not EVERY time!!!  

NOTE REGARDING MONTHLY MAILINGS:  We are adding some fun instructions for the swap this time.  These special monthly directions will be posted on the Thank You Thread at the beginning of each month so that you will have access to them when ever you want to check it out.  :)

It is your responsibility to keep your moderator notified of any changes or late mailings. Please contact your moderator (Linda or Marcia) if an unexpected event happens and you are unable to fulfill your month's requirements.
    It is your responsibility to mail on time.
    It is your responsibility to contact Marcia or Linda if you are running late or if an unexpected emergency happens causing the need for you to drop out.
    It is your responsibility to check that your SS has posted the thank you. 
    If these requirements are not met or if your SS has not posted a thank you or if you have not received, contact us immediately and then we will step in and handle the situation.
    ~~~~~  It is much better to deal with this matter immediately and confidentially to avoid confusion and/or hurt feelings. ~~~~~~~

***FINAL MAILING INFO***
    Our final mailing is during the busy Christmas season. It is a busy time for all of us and we want to end our SS on a happy note. Please plan ahead and mail early! For this last mailing at Christmas when you reveal to your partner~you MUST GET A CONFIRMATION NUMBER. There will be little excuse for anyone not receiving their final mailing by the 20th, even if you are mailing out of the country.
    If you are ordering a special item, please plan ahead. Make a mailing even if you are waiting for one thing-you can mail it when it comes in or make different arrangements. You must get a confirmation number on your last mailing(It is a good idea for any gift mailing)
    Failure to meet with the requirements for each month's exchange will result in being taken out of the swap. This may sound harsh but it is important to the success of this swap. 
    Sisters, this is an important issue.
    It is a courtesy and your responsibility to promptly post a thank you to your SS on the thank-you thread that is started new for each month. Acknowledge ALL mailings so that your SS knows that it has arrived.
    Your SS will be checking to make sure you received it and you are accountable for your actions or in-action.
    Your SS may ask the moderator if you have received it and then we have to ask you..Don't make us come after you as that is one of our least favorite duties!
    FAILURE to post your thank you and continued posting on other areas of the boards will be grounds for immediate dismissal.  Posting on the Secret Sister Circle Thank you thread is MANDATORY. 

Please Note:
    If your Secret Sister fails to follow the rules and communicate with you at the minimum of one snail mail per month, she will be removed from the swap.  Do not take it into your own hands and contact other SS or friends or make comments on the board. Contact Marcia (tohsecretsis@gmail.com) or Linda immediately!

There is no monetary limit to what you can spend on your Sister. Keep in mind, however, that it is not the size of the gift but the thought that you are reaching out to brighten someone's day.
    Don't be afraid to send something unique! It is always fun to receive a one-of-a-kind gift. Be sneaky! Have FUN!
    Remember to look over your partner's questionnaire and mark important dates that should be acknowledged, i.e. birthdays, anniversaries, etc.
    These special days with a card or small gift are NOT to be recognized as your monthly mailing. It is in addition TO the monthly mailing.
    Please join in and have fun with your new sister in any way that you can to make her smile and encourage her through these next six(6) months.
    If you have any questions, don't ever hesitate to contact us~We are here to help you in any way that we can. Any correspondence will always stay confidential between us.

***Mailing out of country***
    ...Please plan ahead...
    You have a unique responsibility to see that your mail arrives in a timely manner. It is always a challenge to get the mail on time in each our own country-It will be necessary to know your postal regulations for timely arrival to the destination! You may have to mail earlier than the 15th so that your Sister isn't still looking for your mailing at the end of the month.
    Talk to your post office and get all necessary mailing information, including what can and cannot cross the borders. Your mailing will encounter custom regulations that will require custom forms available from your post office. ALWAYS mark contents and that it is a GIFT.

False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/

• Re: ~*~ Secret Sister Rule and Guidelines ~*~

Are the rules for each month already decided on or are the two of you still in the 'planning stage' for the later months? Either way I hope everyone has fun and remembers it isn't about spending a lot of money on the gifts but that they come from the heart and sometimes the simple ones are the best

False
    Pat E

Did I say that right. I don't mean to hurt anyones feelings. It's just that some are on fixed incomes and can't afford the shipping cost.

False
    Pat E

Thanks for saying that, Pat! It truly isn't about the 'stuff'!! It's about the thought that goes into the mailings and the fact that you take the time to get to know things about your Sister so that you can surprise her with little things like comments written in a note to her about something you saw her post somewhere on the board. Or send her something as simple as a recipe that is a particular favorite of yours and a note telling her why! Or sending her some little thing that she has mentioned she really likes but maybe has a hard time finding! Even a Get Well card when you're not feeling well can be a treasured surprise to find in the mailbox. It shows that your Sister is really looking for  ways to reach out to you. I always treasure the prayers my SS tucks away in a note and sends my way!! That's why this SS is so great!!!

I love the challenge of hunting down my SS. For me, the BEST part has always been the surprise I manage to find to tuck away inside a card or pkg. that I just happened to stumble across while doing 'research' on my Sister. That can be quite a challenge if she's an infrequent poster. But I do love a good challenge!! :o)  AND when my Sister has done the same for me? Wow!  I remember one time my Sister sent me a cookbook all about cheesecakes. How did she KNOW I love the things? I never said anything in SS. She did a search on my name and that's how she found out!! I LOVE IT!! That is just one of many things! This last cycle, it was the orange stick candy!! Unbelieveable that my Sister could find it and then she kept me well supplied!!! :O)

Yup! It's not the quantity or the $$$$. It's the thoughts, the prayers, the notes, the little things that truly mean the most to THIS Sister! I can't wait to start the search. Besides, when I start 'researching' my SS, I always manage to find another recipe or two or three that I simply have GOT to try! LOL

Let the fun begin!!!

False

Kay Click for Winthrop, Minnesota Forecast

Being a SS is definitely about the fun and the friendship.  It is NOT about getting things.  Now, I love getting things, but a lot of the time, it's  more fun to get little things and little notes.  And sometimes something totally off the wall is the best (remember the curling ribbon, Nancy?)  Big Smile  sometimes my sense of humor gets away from me and some things will just hit me as hysterical.  Lucky for me, Nancy loved that ribbon as much as I did!!!

Prayers.  That's the best part of this sisterhood.  Prayers!

Micki

False
    Click for Cancun, Mexico Forecast

Micki I agree.  One of my favorite things to find in the mail is that happy letter from someone on an otherwise bad day.  It seems like that's when they always seem to come too-on a day that needs a little brightening!

False

I brought this to the top.  It is important for all of us to see.

False

I'm emailing these rules to myself in order to know EXACTLY where they are at all times. Thank you for making them so clear!!

False
    Ttyl, Marcie

I also have emailed the rules to myself...what a good idea Marcie!  I am very excited to find out who my SS is & to get started...

Hugs,

MaggieBig Smile

False
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes. So have fun, think good thoughs, learn to laugh at yourself and count your blessings.

False

Bump.  I did not see this until a few minutes ago and it was on page two!  Bump! Bump!

False

Yes

False

Bumping to keep handy

False

HDMac_WA

First let me tell you what the two top complaints are of the Secret Sisters to the moderators.

1. I mailed a week ago and my sister has not said thank you.

2.  My secret sister does not post on the board.  I can't get to know her.

A secret sister is someone who cares about the person to whom she is mailing and the person that is mailing to her! . Big Smile She mails on time.  If she is the praying kind, she will lift her sisters name to the Lord a few times a week.Yes When she receives something from her sister, she promptly posts on the board a thank you, letting her sister know that she got it and answering any questions that the SS might have asked. 

• She doesn't spend ALL of her time on the Secret Sister board but she makes an effort to come and join us in chat  maybe 2 times a week. 
    Wink KNOWING that it is IMPOSSIBLE to catch up on some of us chattier ones!  lol...Party!!! We know that we all have different personalities and some are not as chatty as others but just a few words telling us what you have been up to would help. We don't expect our SS to be just like us.   Smile Reading some of the other posts and responding to ones that connect with you help too.  MusicThere are bonds in this group even though one may have never been partnered up before! A good SS keeps her moderator INFORMED if there is a problem or an issue that needs attention, i.e. mailing late, etc.  A SS makes the effort to get to know her sister.  A secret sister is sunshine on a cloudy day. A Secret Sister will pick you up when you are down.  She is the fresh breeze in a stressful time.  She is there cheering you on when things are rough. A secret sister will follow thru with her commitment. A Secret Sister is a BLESSING!!!!!!  A secret sister learns from HER Secret Sister!  A secret sister doesn't send you something just to be sending you something.  She takes some time to get to know you and realizes that a card can mean so much.

Ok... it isn't eloquent but hopefully it will help you.  You know, Linda and I love each and everyone of you and we really WANT the SS to be a positive experience for all of you.  

SECRET SISTERS ROCK!!!!! 

False

Please come visit my blog. http://hdmcfar.blogspot.com/

Bumping - Too important to be buried
    False