Hot Chocolate Peppermint Cookies | Taste of Home Community  
Show Subscription Form

Hot Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

Last post Sep 17, 2013 4:25 AM by davidjackson . 5 replies.

Forum Jump:
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
  • Hot Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

Has anyone else made the Hot Chocolate Peppermint cookies from the Oct/Nov12 edition? Pages 35/36?

The picture makes them look like they spread out, but mine are not spreading out. Any advice? Or is this the way they are supposed to be?

Thanks,

Kate

False
  • Re: Hot Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

Kate are they spreading at all?  Have you tried flattening them a little?  I'll check with the Test Kitchen on Monday to see how thin they really get and let you know what they offer.

Sue

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your reply! I did attempt to flatten them a little. In general, the diameter is coming out to be about 2 inches on the cookies. They do spread a bit. I thought they would be a bit larger. Any feedback from the Test Kitchen would be great! Thanks so much.

Kate

False

Kate this is what they had to say...

Here are some factors that affect spread:

• Degree to which butter was softened
    • Brand of butter used (with varying water amounts)
    • Unsalted vs. salted butter (this might have contributed to my chocolate chip cookie – I use unsalted at home and photo studio used salted, which I think tends to have more water)
    • How flour was measured
    • Possibly the brand of cocoa powder

We might suggest to her that if she wants the cookie to spread a little more, she might decrease the flour from 2-1/3 cups to 2-1/4 cups.

False

Community Manager

Taste of Home Magazine

Feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns with the Taste of Home website or community.

PM me here, find me on Facebook or email me sstetzel.toh@gmail.com

Proudly serving as a Taste of Home Field Editor since 2009.Big Smile

Thank you so much for the helpful hints! Creaming the butter longer really helped. Again, thank you for your time. It is truly appreciated!

Kate

False

I have never tried making this recipe previous to and would like to give it a try.

False